Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 05:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,230,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
"One thing a poster informed me that I knew nothing about is coal plant pollution everywhere in the U.S. That kind of discouraged me somewhat because of how the Smokies and the Shenandoah Valley to name a few look during a high pollution day. It's kind of scary and discouraging. If you'd like to read about it, do a search on cleartheair. The part of the country in which were seeking "refuge" is the worst area for this kind of pollution" ...

This is why they're called "The Smokies". True.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 05:39 PM

213 posts, read 1,021,637 times
apple annie, i'm afraid you have been misinformed. there is much info on how the Indians named the park - long before nay man-made anything. following is an excerpt from NOAA.

"Place of Blue Smoke" was the name the Cherokee Indians gave to the Appalachian Highlands on the border between North Carolina and Tennessee, which now encompasses the 800-square-mile park. Today, the Smokey Mountains are filled not by the smoke-like haze that was once a natural effect of oily residues and water vapor from the Smokey Mountain forest. Today the haze derives from pollution in distant cities, including Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, St. Louis and on occasion New Orleans or New York City"

Old 01-11-2007, 05:45 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,038,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
This is why they're called "The Smokies".
The Smoky Mountains have always been smoky; lately, the pollution has turned it into smog

"The name of the area comes from the natural haze that often hangs over it. As in the neighboring Blue Ridge Mountains to the east, hydrocarbons produced by trees and other local vegetation, as well as higher humidity produce a bluish cast to the sky, even over short distances.." (wikipedia)

The Indians called the mountains "Shaconage" for the blue-gray drifting "smoke" that visitors see. It can be a bit spooky driving through the area in the early spring, when the smoky drifts seem more prevalent. You almost feel like you're in the movie "The Fog" since the movement of the clouds seems almost self-directed.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:40 PM

474 posts, read 2,194,336 times
We heard it many moons ago while on vacation over near Bryson City, from an native Indian storyteller; and that is pretty much how he described the smoke and haze in so many words: as a form of air pollution, from vegetation, and the drifting and settling residue of smoke from coal mines way back when (and then), west of the mountain ranges; and air currents carrying it east.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,991 times
Default Looking for Retirement property.

I love the info that I am reading.
I am looking to retire this coming year late July or early August.
Upon retirement, I will be working out of the home in the computer related design field. Since I can work anywhere that has an excessable computer satellite hook-up, I am on the look for inexpensive land for sale. Aprox. 20-40 acres. Possibly to raise a few small farm animals. My search has just begun. I've started looking in povertish areas around the mountains in TN, KY, NC, SC, VA, WV and VA. Looking for somewhere that my retirement dollar can get the most bang for the buck. I would like to stay away from areas with high snow accumilation. Something with great fishing is a big plus. Any and all help will be greatly appreciaited!!

Old 12-08-2007, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,991 times
I love the info that I am reading.
I am looking to retire this coming year late July or early August.
Upon retirement, I will be working out of the home in the computer related design field. Since I can work anywhere that has an excessable computer satellite hook-up, I am on the look for inexpensive land for sale. Aprox. 20-40 acres. Possibly to raise a few small farm animals. My search has just begun. I've started looking in povertish areas around the mountains in TN, KY, NC, SC, VA, WV and VA. Looking for somewhere that my retirement dollar can get the most bang for the buck. I would like to stay away from areas with high snow accumilation. Something with great fishing is a big plus. Any and all help will be greatly appreciaited!!

Old 12-25-2007, 02:39 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,895,124 times
Default Go South!!

Generally the more southern you go in VA, the land gets much cheaper. I might suggest Henry County on the NC border, halfway between Roanoke and Greensboro NC. This area was hard hit with massive textile layoffs and it seems to still be in a bit of a funk. Also, look at Allegheny County about an hour north of Roanoke, close to the WV border. This areas' economy has been run down for a long time. Its still rather pristine and close to Roanoke but it also has the advantage of being close to the great fishing lakes and ski resorts in WV. If you're an outdoorsman this is the place to be. Some people in VA think the state starts and ends in Roanoke and the rest of the southwestern part is just Appalachia. It is true its not as economically healthy as the rest of VA but with the massive numbers of people moving to the VA/NC/TN area now I hope they don't overlook its potential.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,062,011 times
Default GA #1; NC/SC #2; VA#3; AL #4; TN # 5 (no comment on WV!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I recently posted in the gen usa forum about which state out of tn,ky,wv,va,nc,sc,ga,al, people would prefer to live in if given a preferance.

va so far is leading by a mile followed by tn, so tell me what does va have that would make it so much more favorable than the other states.

naturally it's a beautiful state but besides that, is it the weather, taxes, housing cost, or something else.

while i'm posting, let's take southwest va say from roanoke south & east since it's a favorable place, if givin a choice of any town within that area were would you pick & why.

I would say that GA is one of the best places to live for several reasons. Many of the reasons that I list will be very similar to other states, BUT having beaches and mountains in the same state is awesome. Plus, you have the access to the other states listed, without the cost of living in them. We have been in Georgia, North Carolina (Blowing Rock), South Carolina (Hilton Head, Columbia, Charleston) Tennessee (Chattanooga and Nashville), Alabama (Montgomery, Birmingham, and Mobile) and now Virginia. The taxes in Virginia are higher than the other states and the cost of living is higher. Plus, I think that the medical care in Virginia is not all that great. Now, I am only speaking of one particular part of Va and there is not any competetion for our hospital to compete against, which may be one reason why the medical care in other areas was better than here. That said, I also think that the education system...no matter what it says on paper...is not all that it is cracked up to be in our area of Va. I attended public school in GA at 2 of the highest rated public schools in the south and they were excellent unlike what we have seen here. Plus, we are huge sports fans and there are no pro teams in the MLB, NFL, or NBA in Va. If you are a big sports fan the other states offer more on that level.
The one major thing that is nice about Va is how much there is to do here. The beach, Water Country, the mountains, Busch Gardens, downtown Williamsburg, historic Fredricksburg, Richmond shopping, outside ice skating in Norfolk @ MacArthur Mall. And while these things are offered in other states, they do not compare. Hanging out at Busch Gardens is fun compared to going to Six Flags in Ga, which has been taken over by thugs and rednecks! (Sorry!) Going fishing off of colonial parkway in Va is relaxing and breathtaking! Having a night out on the Spirit of Norfolk is magical (although being in Mobile, Al is also very romantic).
I guess for me it comes down to taxes, the cost of living and the housing market. My husband and I are still fairly young and after watching my girlfriend in Ga buy a 6000 sq ft home for under $300,000, in a good school district....we are ready to leave and go back.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,444 times
Default hey you should check out Sandbridge beach in Va

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
JOEE ~~ FOR YOUR INFORMATION

I just read on a Roanoke area TV station's web site that a proposed prison project in southwest Virginia is worrying conservationists. The prison would be built in Independence (a town I was considering) in Grayson County (the county in which I have the most interest) and would house about 1,000 beds. Apparently residents are worried the state will put the prison along the scenic New River which would spoil recreation and tourism. It is said it could bring 350 jobs to the area.

About which we were talking..........One just never knows!! I'm beginning to think I'm doomed to stay in Texas.
Sandbridge is absolutely beautiful and OMG we are so in love with the place. It is just wonderful. I promise if youll look it up and when you go to VA you have to go I guarantee youll love it.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 AM

94 posts, read 389,244 times
I think the best thing about Virginia is the diversity of topography within daily-drivable distances...you can be at the beach surfing in the AM and then in the mountains by the afternoon - what a great feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia