Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 03:53 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times

Advertisements

Just do your travel and quit worrying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 09:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Coming from your direction I can’t speak to the rest stops but I know I was impressed with the Va Visitors center stop on I-95 north at the N. Carolina line back in mid April. There were few people there but the doors were automatic so I didn’t have to touch anything, including going in and out of the restroom. My guess is you won’t have problems. I would suggest making hotel reservations ahead of time, preferably a higher end chain that you trust. If you request first floor you won’t have to deal with buttons on an elevator.
Not worried about the elevator (except for fellow passengers) as I have throwaway gloves and masks I'll need at my destination. I noticed a website for I-95 travel but that's not an interstate I will be on.

I have reservations for June, originally had them for May.

P.S. The county I live in has had 2 covid-19 deaths and the whole county currently has only 3 open cases. I wear a mask whenever I go outside.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
Rest stops were open in VA, to answer part of your question. We were able to stop for bathroom breaks no problem. Granted we have in state plates for Virginia, but people are still traveling.

Virginia never required a 2 week quarantine for people entering. I heard Delaware did, and Hawaii, but not aware of any others. You should be fine.

I understand the hesitation and wanting to be prepared. We called our two hotel stops before booking last month, to make sure they were open without restrictions. Only restriction was they wouldn’t let people from NY, NJ, or CT book due to hot spots. And this was a couple of weeks ago when we went on our trip.

Again, you should be fine at least in VA. Watch your speed. And masks are required in public now, so if you stop in VA keep that in mind.
Thank you.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:52 AM

382 posts, read 868,977 times
LauraC, all rest areas are open on all Virginia interstates. Hotels are open along I-81. You will not be stopped just for having out of state plates. Truck weigh stations are closed but trucks are allowed to sleep and take their mandatory breaks there. That should cover your concerns. We are even allowed back in restaurants to eat starting today.

Old 06-05-2020, 03:13 PM

9,883 posts, read 14,150,141 times
I drove through Virginia to NC a month ago; not on major highways (as that was not the most efficient way to get where I was going). I, too, was worried about bathrooms. I learned that state-run restrooms were open on the highways, but I found that most (if not all) large gas stations also had open bathrooms.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:00 PM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
Rest stops were open in VA, to answer part of your question. We were able to stop for bathroom breaks no problem. Granted we have in state plates for Virginia, but people are still traveling.

Virginia never required a 2 week quarantine for people entering. I heard Delaware did, and Hawaii, but not aware of any others. You should be fine.

I understand the hesitation and wanting to be prepared. We called our two hotel stops before booking last month, to make sure they were open without restrictions. Only restriction was they wouldn’t let people from NY, NJ, or CT book due to hot spots. And this was a couple of weeks ago when we went on our trip.

Again, you should be fine at least in VA. Watch your speed. And masks are required in public now, so if you stop in VA keep that in mind.
Masks are only required if you go into a store. I've been out and about in my neighborhood with no problem.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:08 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not worried about the elevator (except for fellow passengers) as I have throwaway gloves and masks I'll need at my destination. I noticed a website for I-95 travel but that's not an interstate I will be on.

I have reservations for June, originally had them for May.

P.S. The county I live in has had 2 covid-19 deaths and the whole county currently has only 3 open cases. I wear a mask whenever I go outside.

Even in your own yard?

Old 06-06-2020, 06:37 AM

349 posts, read 245,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Masks are only required if you go into a store. I've been out and about in my neighborhood with no problem.
Sorry, I should’ve clarified that better. Yes, public settings indoors.

OP, The executive order detailing the mask requirement is here: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/me...-Buildings.pdf

Old 06-19-2020, 03:57 PM

Just got back. All rest stops open in Virginia and Maryland that were on my route. One is closed in Tennessee but not sure if that is CV-19 related.

It was requested that guests wear masks in the hotel public interaction places in both Delaware and Maryland and the staff did wear them, too. The Delaware hotel, which I have stayed in before, had a plexiglass set up at the front desk that wasn't there in previous years plus every single day that I returned from the wildlife refuge, someone was cleaning the elevator and the front doors.

The funny thing to me were the overhead signs on the Interstates that said to Watch Your Speed and Wash Your Hands (on the same electronic sign). And, the VA state police were out in full force. Coming home today, I saw them pull over 5 speeding cars.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,435,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just got back. All rest stops open in Virginia and Maryland that were on my route. One is closed in Tennessee but not sure if that is CV-19 related.

It was requested that guests wear masks in the hotel public interaction places in both Delaware and Maryland and the staff did wear them, too. The Delaware hotel, which I have stayed in before, had a plexiglass set up at the front desk that wasn't there in previous years plus every single day that I returned from the wildlife refuge, someone was cleaning the elevator and the front doors.

The funny thing to me were the overhead signs on the Interstates that said to Watch Your Speed and Wash Your Hands (on the same electronic sign). And, the VA state police were out in full force. Coming home today, I saw them pull over 5 speeding cars.
Glad your trip went well and glad you stayed under the speed limit. Virginia police don’t mess around. Great revenue maker for the local counties, and the attorneys who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia