Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 11:09 AM

27 posts, read 29,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebylander View Post
Shabba Snacks, thanks for your feedback. That’s a huge reason why I picked MSW. I guess I have some concerns I wouldn’t be a strong candidate for other positions social work related if my experience is not related because I have a fairly unique job right now, but with a high demand for MSWs, that is less concerning. We are leaning towards having me complete my LCSW (equivalent of the clinical license in Missouri where I live) before seeking to move. Irregardless, thanks for your advice regarding clinical hours because that is so important!

Yeah, we’ve considered Roanoke in the past, and one of my closest friends lives in that region. However, if possible we think we would prefer to be closer to DC and Philly (Roanoke is farther than all the other places we are looking, such as Richmond.)
With an LCSW, I could line you up with interviews in Roanoke today

If you would like to be closer to DC and Philly, may I recommend Winchester (where my family live these days).

It is considered part of the DMV, but no wear near the traffic of PWC or Fairfax. It takes me about 55 min to drive to Dulles Airport, and about 1.5 h to downtown DC. When I just have moved here I went to see an Eagles game in Philly (1:st time in the city for me), and that took just over 3 h.

I would compare Winchester more to Warrenton, or Culpepper (but significantly cheeper) or even Blacksburg than to Arlington, Manassas, Falls Church, Tysons Corner, Centerville etc.

As for mental health jobs, I did a quick search and both Valley Health (the local hospital system) and Winchester Psychiatric Associates are looking for LCSWs. The local CSB is surprisingly large, with a strong emphasis on addiction treatment. You are also 45-55 min from Leesburg with plenty of more jobb opportunities (especially for your husband...he works in IT right).

I hope any of this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I guess I have some concerns I wouldn’t be a strong candidate for other positions social work related if my experience is not related because I have a fairly unique job right now, but with a high demand for MSWs, that is less concerning. We are leaning towards having me complete my LCSW (equivalent of the clinical license in Missouri where I live) before seeking to move. Irregardless, thanks for your advice regarding clinical hours because that is so important!
)
The key here will be your practicum, internships and may I ask where are you getting your clinical hours in right now?

When you put together your resume and apply for jobs, play at the strengths of those experiences. I have been involved in opening 6 local offices for different private mental health companies, and with this came the hiring of clinical supervisors (LPC or LCSW), so while I am not HR, I have looked at countless Resumes for potential future colleagues.

There is such a need for LCSW and LPC's, so if your Resume is fairly strong the problem won't be finding a job, it will be picking one that is not only a good fit, but where you will get the support you need to succeed. Too many employers just look at the credentials, and then push you in the water and hope you will swim.

Is there a specific section of mental health that you are looking at? Outpatient, Inpatient, Substance Abuse, family counseling, social worker/discharge planner at a hospital, a foster care agency etc, etc.

Any how, if you have any questions about what ever area of VA you choose, and have a question, I can always try and answer.

But like I said, trippel check you have all signatures in place for your clinical hours before you move.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:29 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
One thing to keep in mind in the smaller areas is that you may only have one or two choices of employers. If things don't go well at one spot, it may be difficult to find another place to work.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:56 PM

31 posts, read 43,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba Snacks View Post
With an LCSW, I could line you up with interviews in Roanoke today

If you would like to be closer to DC and Philly, may I recommend Winchester (where my family live these days).

It is considered part of the DMV, but no wear near the traffic of PWC or Fairfax. It takes me about 55 min to drive to Dulles Airport, and about 1.5 h to downtown DC. When I just have moved here I went to see an Eagles game in Philly (1:st time in the city for me), and that took just over 3 h.

I would compare Winchester more to Warrenton, or Culpepper (but significantly cheeper) or even Blacksburg than to Arlington, Manassas, Falls Church, Tysons Corner, Centerville etc.

As for mental health jobs, I did a quick search and both Valley Health (the local hospital system) and Winchester Psychiatric Associates are looking for LCSWs. The local CSB is surprisingly large, with a strong emphasis on addiction treatment. You are also 45-55 min from Leesburg with plenty of more jobb opportunities (especially for your husband...he works in IT right).

I hope any of this helps.
Thanks for the information about Winchester. I don’t know the town well, but I’m familiar-ish with the location because I grew up in NOVA and also lived in Harrisonburg, so it is on route. I will definitely consider that. I think we would prefer a larger city, but it’s worth considering all options!

Old 06-14-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba Snacks View Post
The key here will be your practicum, internships and may I ask where are you getting your clinical hours in right now?

When you put together your resume and apply for jobs, play at the strengths of those experiences. I have been involved in opening 6 local offices for different private mental health companies, and with this came the hiring of clinical supervisors (LPC or LCSW), so while I am not HR, I have looked at countless Resumes for potential future colleagues.

There is such a need for LCSW and LPC's, so if your Resume is fairly strong the problem won't be finding a job, it will be picking one that is not only a good fit, but where you will get the support you need to succeed. Too many employers just look at the credentials, and then push you in the water and hope you will swim.

Is there a specific section of mental health that you are looking at? Outpatient, Inpatient, Substance Abuse, family counseling, social worker/discharge planner at a hospital, a foster care agency etc, etc.

Any how, if you have any questions about what ever area of VA you choose, and have a question, I can always try and answer.

But like I said, trippel check you have all signatures in place for your clinical hours before you move.
I’ve been mulling over applying for jobs now (before my LCSW is finished) or waiting until I’m finished with LCSW, which will be in a year. It makes sense to wait, but we are really unhappy in the city we live in. I currently work as a mental health evaluator for a community based mental health agency’s school based services department. Prior to this position (in which I started clinical supervision), I worked at a crisis hotline as a crisis counselor. In graduate school, my practicums were at a hospital’s child psychiatric unit, and (now my employer’s) community based mental health agency completing evaluations with adults in outpatient services. I would like to continue to work in mental health, and am open to outpatient and inpatient. However, my background has not been in counseling, so that could be a barrier to some positions. I also would be interested in crisis counseling work again.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing to keep in mind in the smaller areas is that you may only have one or two choices of employers. If things don't go well at one spot, it may be difficult to find another place to work.
That’s a very good point. I think with considering that, we really really would prefer Richmond.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I’ve been mulling over applying for jobs now (before my LCSW is finished) or waiting until I’m finished with LCSW, which will be in a year. It makes sense to wait, but we are really unhappy in the city we live in. I currently work as a mental health evaluator for a community based mental health agency’s school based services department. Prior to this position (in which I started clinical supervision), I worked at a crisis hotline as a crisis counselor. In graduate school, my practicums were at a hospital’s child psychiatric unit, and (now my employer’s) community based mental health agency completing evaluations with adults in outpatient services. I would like to continue to work in mental health, and am open to outpatient and inpatient. However, my background has not been in counseling, so that could be a barrier to some positions. I also would be interested in crisis counseling work again.
While your experiences have not been clinical, they are very solid. There is absolutely work available for you in Richmond and other parts of Virginia.

Have you considered Intensive In-Home?

In-Home agencies are always hiring, but it is tough work, and the hours are not ideal since you work with the children in their home environment AFTER school, but you should be able to get your remaining clinical hours in less than a year. (I know I am slightly contradicting what I said before, just beside you have your signatures in order) You also get some very good hands on clinical work, and as someone working on their LCSW you would most likely do the assessments, and they are similar (but not the same) as to what you do now.

I would also say that most DSS/CSB's will easily hire you as a case manager, or case manager supervisor, but than we have the issue of clinical hours. But it could be a good start at a job and get settled in Richmond.

In Virginia, a lot has to do with if you can register as a QMHP (Qualifies Mental health Professional) and I would say that based on what you said, you should be able to register as QMHP-C and probably A too (C stands for Children, and A stands for A) and this will open up a lot of jobb opportunities.

Since you have already decided to move back to VA, I would go a head and register with the Virginia Board of Counseling as a QMHP C/A.
https://www.dhp.virginia.gov/counsel...eling_QMHP.htm

in VA, LPC's are more common than LCSW, and while this won't affect your job prospects, it can affect who can do you supervision for clinical hours. Most companies or public agencies do know this, and have something worked out.

I just did a quick Glassdoor search, and there are plenty of opportunities in Richmond. I know private companies in RVA that would hire you today (but I would not recommend one of them LOL ).

You have a lot of opportunities a head of you in Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia