Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 12:00 PM

235 posts, read 115,251 times

Advertisements

Time is moving against the Republicans. Suburbs continue to grow and they continue to grow more blue. And the new generation of millennials has been the most liberal generation yet. If the Republicans put up a pro choice, pro gay, Fiscal conservative, who believes in increased spending for military, they would win in a landslide. Democrats are winning cause of Northern Virginia. Blue centers north of the Rappahannock, Richmond, Albermale, and Hampton Roads are what Democrats are using and they aren’t turning any more red. They are turning even more blue. The likelihood that Trump wins in Virginia is low. Considering that even the Republicans here are moderates and have lived with a diverse group of people many moderates take Trump as a racist. Even though he is one of the most successful conservative president ever and has pushed the Republican agenda and has left a big legacy he won’t win in Virginia.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I am a conservative and I am mortified by this president. The only thing that would stop me is Biden's running partner. I say that because I do question Biden's where-with-all, and the VP candidate matters in this race. I can tolerate Pence.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:18 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
With Northern Virginia in charge, no way a Republican State.

I just can't imagine Nutty Joe Biden being in charge. Then again it's just a puppet figure to give Democrats all the free things they want.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 6,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
Time is moving against the Republicans. Suburbs continue to grow and they continue to grow more blue. And the new generation of millennials has been the most liberal generation yet. If the Republicans put up a pro choice, pro gay, Fiscal conservative, who believes in increased spending for military, they would win in a landslide. Democrats are winning cause of Northern Virginia. Blue centers north of the Rappahannock, Richmond, Albermale, and Hampton Roads are what Democrats are using and they aren’t turning any more red. They are turning even more blue. The likelihood that Trump wins in Virginia is low. Considering that even the Republicans here are moderates and have lived with a diverse group of people many moderates take Trump as a racist. Even though he is one of the most successful conservative president ever and has pushed the Republican agenda and has left a big legacy he won’t win in Virginia.

I disagree with the notion the Republican Party is over long term, yes states like Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona are trending blue but by the same token Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania have been trending right and looking at trends even states like Oregon, New Hampshire and Maine have become more purple

In ten years I reckon the swing states will definitely look different but both parties will remain as competitive as ever

Plus their is evidence Gen Z is actually more conservative than millennials

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-...divides-2019-7

Old 06-25-2020, 08:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,643,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe9 View Post
I disagree with the notion the Republican Party is over long term, yes states like Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Arizona are trending blue but by the same token Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania have been trending right and looking at trends even states like Oregon, New Hampshire and Maine have become more purple

In ten years I reckon the swing states will definitely look different but both parties will remain as competitive as ever

Plus their is evidence Gen Z is actually more conservative than millennials

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-...divides-2019-7
I totally agree 100%. Let me even tell you that California is even starting to shift a little and slowly turn purple. There has started to be a lot of unrest and hate for the far left having been in charge of California for the past few years, and many moderate democrats are starting to get extremely pissed with the direction that the party is going there. I guarantee California will stay blue this year for sure, but I expect by 2028, California will be a swing state.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:37 AM

553 posts, read 616,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
By the way why did Gillespie lose to Northam? Was Northam just a much stronger candidate than Gillespie or what? I don't really know much about either of those candidates. Was this solely because VA is way more blue than red, or does it also have something to do with how strong and popular the candidates were specifically? What was the background of both Northam and Gillespie? Was Northam more well known or something? Who would you say was the favorite before the election?
Though Northam was the sitting Lieutenant Governor in 2017 and thus could have been considered to be in prime position to succeed then-Governor Terry McAuliffe, Gillespie was known statewide for his narrow defeat in his attempt to take Mark Warner's US Senate seat three years prior. However, the electoral tailwind Gillespie may have received as being of the opposite party of the POTUS back in '14 turned against him with Trump in office. (McAuliffe is the lone Virginia Governor in the past 47 years to have won election while in the same party as the sitting POTUS.)

The more telling result from that election night was the Republican majority in the House of Delegates going from 66-34 to 51-49 (and only surviving after a drawing of names in a tied race resulted in a Republican hold), in what was the biggest wave election in the House's history -- surpassing the GOP's 12-seat gain in the elections eight weeks after 9/11.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:55 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I am a conservative and I am mortified by this president. The only thing that would stop me is Biden's running partner. I say that because I do question Biden's where-with-all, and the VP candidate matters in this race. I can tolerate Pence.
Agreed.

I'm seeing this weekly here in southwest VA. I see tons of previous Trump supporters either not voting or voting for Biden.

I'm a Republican. I've been a Republican since I was 22 in 2008. I actually thought Palin was awful, McCain too old, and voted for Obama. I voted all Rs down ticket that year and likely in 2010. There was one year where we had a local Republican running whom I personally didn't care for, and voted for the Democrat as a vote against the Republican.

I voted for Romney and all Rs in 2012. I didn't vote in 2014 because I relocated.

I stood out in the rain for 90 minutes to vote for Trump in the Indiana primary. I lived in Indiana at the time. I voted for Trump and all like-minded Republicans.

I voted against all incumbents, though mostly for Republicans, in 2018.

When the TN primary rolled around this year, I voted for Bloomberg. I was a diehard Trump supporter who will now be voting for Biden. I know lots of folks in my situation - generally conservative to moderate, but who feel Trump is an imminent danger and who are voting Biden as the only sane choice.

That doesn't mean we like him. He's just the lesser of two evils at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia