Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 01:50 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,419,584 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to either of the lodges in The Shenandoah National Park since they reopened? We are going in August so was just curious. Never been there but figured it was a close place, mostly outdoor hiking and a get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 03:10 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,198,666 times
Have not done the lodges but the park has been insanely busy since they reopened the parks. I live within sight of SNP so going here during the week is easy for me for pics but I won't go near the place on weekends. Hopefully as time keeps going by people will thin out but I am not sure.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:00 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,383,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Has anyone been to either of the lodges in The Shenandoah National Park since they reopened? We are going in August so was just curious. Never been there but figured it was a close place, mostly outdoor hiking and a get away.
Yes, last August, before the epidemic. Stayed at Peaks of Otter Lodge. It's pretty basic and somewhat rundown. The rooms have satellite TV and, in theory, WiFi (doesn't really work). Cell phone coverage is iffy.

If you are looking for a hotel that is up to the quality of a standard cheaper chain hotel such as a Best Western or Comfort Inn, this is not the place. But, the lake is pretty, sunset is nice and there is some good hiking around the area. Bring bug spray. There are lots of opportunities to see various wildlife along the trails- such as bears, maybe a little more up close and personal than you may be comfortable with. How peaceful and quiet the Lodge is depends on who else is staying at the Lodge. If there is a group that came up there to party, you are out of luck. But, once you walk away from the Lodge itself, it is quiet and relaxing. The dining room covers the basics and isn't bad but options are limited. If you are coming up with children you may want to bring an ice chest with some additional food for them if the dining room is not available due to Covid limitations.

Keep in mind that a lot of the area facilities such as museums and restrooms may be closed during the pandemic.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Have not done the lodges but the park has been insanely busy since they reopened the parks. I live within sight of SNP so going here during the week is easy for me for pics but I won't go near the place on weekends. Hopefully as time keeps going by people will thin out but I am not sure.
I can believe it. Lake Anna is crazy busy more than ever on weekends this summer, to the point I won’t go out on the lake except during the week. Needless to say, we are going mid week, cheaper and a benefit of retirement.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,851,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Yes, last August, before the epidemic. Stayed at Peaks of Otter Lodge. It's pretty basic and somewhat rundown. The rooms have satellite TV and, in theory, WiFi (doesn't really work). Cell phone coverage is iffy.

If you are looking for a hotel that is up to the quality of a standard cheaper chain hotel such as a Best Western or Comfort Inn, this is not the place. But, the lake is pretty, sunset is nice and there is some good hiking around the area. Bring bug spray. There are lots of opportunities to see various wildlife along the trails- such as bears, maybe a little more up close and personal than you may be comfortable with. How peaceful and quiet the Lodge is depends on who else is staying at the Lodge. If there is a group that came up there to party, you are out of luck. But, once you walk away from the Lodge itself, it is quiet and relaxing. The dining room covers the basics and isn't bad but options are limited. If you are coming up with children you may want to bring an ice chest with some additional food for them if the dining room is not available due to Covid limitations.

Keep in mind that a lot of the area facilities such as museums and restrooms may be closed during the pandemic.
Peaks of Otter is on the Blue Ridge Parkway, not in Shenandoah National Park, but it was very nice when I stayed there , years ago. Having not been there recently, I can't supply an updated review.

However, I did stay at Big Meadows in Shenandoah NP a few years ago. It's a mixed bag - historic lodge, smallish rooms, cabins which have rustic charm but could use some freshening up, and rows of rooms (motel style) which are in better shape. Dining room and meals were excellent, ranger-led programs were very good and views from the back of the lodge into the Valley can't be beat. Scenic trails of various kinds, lengths, and difficulties are nearby. Watch out for bear visits after dark - lots of deer here, too.

Caution: this was all pre-Covid-19, so expect changes. Since you planned to visit in August and it's now October, perhaps you could add an update here.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:09 AM

Since someone else revived this topic I’ll come back with my report after staying at both ledges, July and September, of this year of Covid. Definitely plus and minuses to both places. Both rustic, I expected that. At Big Meadows we stayed in a room in the main ledge, small but okay. At Skyland the good/bad is we stayed in one of the original buildings that was abt a 100 years old. Neat old cabin but on the far edge of all and as a result, rather buggy.

Dining was about the same at both places. Menu was very limited. Masks required inside everywhere and I felt fine with that. The coffee makers had been removed from the rooms but you could get free coffee by showing your room key. Big Meadow didn’t have breakfast but you could pick up something at the grab and go. Big Meadow however was serving pizza in their tap room, not at Skyland but Skyland had longer hours in both their tap room and main dining room. What I loved at Big Meadow and missed at Skyland was the sunset views. We couldn’t see any over the valley at Skyland where at Big Meadows it was wonderful to sit on the balcony of the main ledge and watch the sun go down. Am I glad we did it? Definitely! We got several very good hikes in at both places. Very few people on the trails and even there some put in masks as we passed each other. It was a great get away after no traveling this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia