Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 08:41 AM

6,877 posts, read 4,331,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
If the business owner disagreed with her politics and didn’t think he or she could serve her then that’s not bigotry.

I think there's kind of a general consensus in the population that businesses should serve clients 'blindly' as they're essentially public establishments. After all this line of reasoning was used not long ago to limit freedom of association when it came to serving blacks, homosexuals, muslims etc.

The only difference here is that political beliefs aren't currently a protected category by the Civil Rights Act, so kicking out a black patron is illegal whereas kicking out a conservative or liberal patron isn't. But just because it is legal currently, it doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. After all it was once legal as well to refuse service to blacks. Perhaps that law ought to be changed to preserve the neutrality of public spaces given how aggressively polarized things have become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 09:24 AM

9 posts, read 16,330 times
Reading about this incident makes me want to move to Lexington. Actually I had already discovered this beautiful area and I have found a reasonable lot for sale there. Huckabee is dishonest and immoral!

Old 04-07-2021, 01:36 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,489,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The only difference here is that political beliefs aren't currently a protected category by the Civil Rights Act, so kicking out a black patron is illegal whereas kicking out a conservative or liberal patron isn't. But just because it is legal currently, it doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do. After all it was once legal as well to refuse service to blacks. Perhaps that law ought to be changed to preserve the neutrality of public spaces given how aggressively polarized things have become.
Yes, it is not right that you can take prejudicial actions in a public space over political opinion. IMHO the label 'polticistist' needs to be added to the lexicon of perjoratives along with racist, homophobe, etc.....

Just a related story.. my son and I traveled back through Lexington from work and stopped at the Greek restaurant downtown the 2nd evening after Trump's election. At the next table, there were 5 ladies from the area, and they were having a very loud, and sometimes profane 'crying in their beer' session over the outcome. After a while, they suddenly realized that they were being pretty obnoxious, and turned to us to apologize. We just said 'hey, no problem' and smiled politely and finished our meal. So while they inititially demonstrated the usual leftist assumption of priviledge to express oneself regardless of the damage to a constructive exchange of ideas, these ladies showed a decent degree of sensitivity.

I want to think that the owner of the Red Hen is an 'outlier' of behavior in that area, and that most of the political discussion is kept on a more polite level in that area than in the urban areas of the country. That is pretty typical of this region.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:45 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenpine View Post
Reading about this incident makes me want to move to Lexington. Actually I had already discovered this beautiful area and I have found a reasonable lot for sale there. Huckabee is dishonest and immoral!

LOL. Little late on the response. But why would this make you want to move there. Contrary to media following this event the owner did have issues following this and she is friends with a friend of mine. She related she should have never done what she did although she still claims she'd do it again. She did suffer for a bit and the reviews still have not recovered fully. Personally I do not care one way or the other but what an ignorant move on her part as I would think a restaurant owner would want to remain neutral so as not to push customers away. The friend of mine and his wife ate there weekly at the time this happened as they have a business right there as well. He told the Red Hen owner he did not appreciate the negative publicity she brought on the neighborhood. The wife and I were there the night this happened (not at the Red Hen) and we walked past it only to hear numerous cars going by with some yelling in support and many cursing the place out. While Lexington itself votes blue the surrounding county votes red. Although I did not check what happened in the recent elections.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 6,612,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
LOL. Little late on the response. But why would this make you want to move there. Contrary to media following this event the owner did have issues following this and she is friends with a friend of mine. She related she should have never done what she did although she still claims she'd do it again. She did suffer for a bit and the reviews still have not recovered fully. Personally I do not care one way or the other but what an ignorant move on her part as I would think a restaurant owner would want to remain neutral so as not to push customers away. The friend of mine and his wife ate there weekly at the time this happened as they have a business right there as well. He told the Red Hen owner he did not appreciate the negative publicity she brought on the neighborhood. The wife and I were there the night this happened (not at the Red Hen) and we walked past it only to hear numerous cars going by with some yelling in support and many cursing the place out. While Lexington itself votes blue the surrounding county votes red. Although I did not check what happened in the recent elections.
Thanks Bigfoot for the update on this.
We are still mixed about moving there. We love many things about Lexington, but we are Independents politically and one of the reasons (besides the big increases in traffic and crime) that we are moving out of Charlottesville is because it’s become so politically divisive and full of angry activists. The mayor and her associates are responsible for much of this, but it’s been brewing and growing for a few years now. We want to stay in VA but not live in a hotbed of angry political activism and divisiveness.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:29 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Thanks Bigfoot for the update on this.
We are still mixed about moving there. We love many things about Lexington, but we are Independents politically and one of the reasons (besides the big increases in traffic and crime) that we are moving out of Charlottesville is because it’s become so politically divisive and full of angry activists. The mayor and her associates are responsible for much of this, but it’s been brewing and growing for a few years now. We want to stay in VA but not live in a hotbed of angry political activism and divisiveness.
Lexington is certainly no C'ville so no worries there. I'm sure you saw that Washington and Lee voted to keep its name. It has a mix of liberals on conservatives located there. It does vote liberal in the city and conservative in the county. As a slightly right leaning conservative I would move there.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:44 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,489,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Lexington is certainly no C'ville so no worries there. I'm sure you saw that Washington and Lee voted to keep its name. It has a mix of liberals on conservatives located there. It does vote liberal in the city and conservative in the county. As a slightly right leaning conservative I would move there.
Yes, night and day going from C'ville to Lexington. W&L has had plenty of lilberal professors. There were a couple of hippie communes around the area in the 70's, but that was more of a 'flash in the pan situation' and did not last long; most farms there take a lot of work to succeed. The more activists types did not much stay around Lexington, and folks west of the blue Ridge are just generally more self-restrained and polite in there behavior. (This may change, sadly, with the influx of ex-urban/suburban folks, particularly starting up nearer to the Winchester area.)

BTW, the C'ville situation has been coming along for about 50 years now...my brother is one of the ex-Lexington area hippies, and moved to C'ville a few decades ago to help the 'cause' there. C'ville has much more of the urban Marxist activists types.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:56 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,458,125 times
I recall they are making the WL students live on campus, now, and that has changed the dynamics of the town, specifically the housing market some. I tried buying a fixer there a few years ago and the realtor was an embicile. There is always Buena Vista, but don't pronounce it like you work in the fields.. it's Bewna Vista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia