Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 08:59 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times

Advertisements

Richmond is actually noticeably less humid than points east, a thing my brother on the peninsula and I find very interesting.

The mountains will be less humid.

But everywhere in Va is decently humid. Nothing like Florida or the gulf coast, but you'll notice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 02:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Richmond is actually noticeably less humid than points east, a thing my brother on the peninsula and I find very interesting.

The mountains will be less humid.

But everywhere in Va is decently humid. Nothing like Florida or the gulf coast, but you'll notice it.

Actually Richmond has typically some of the states highest daily humidity levels. And we'll often see the same near high levels here in the mountains. We can see more windy days here in the valley making it feel better but we still see the humidity.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:20 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Actually Richmond has typically some of the states highest daily humidity levels. And we'll often see the same near high levels here in the mountains. We can see more windy days here in the valley making it feel better but we still see the humidity.
Agreed.

I was in Richmond for four days last august. Awful. It was 15 degrees cooler on the BRP as I was driving up vs. richmond proper.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:26 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
My uncle was a Florida State Trooper for 33 years. They visited us one Summer in Springfield to do Smithsonian, etc.. I remember him saying you need gills to breath out there. Seemed to be a lot more comfortable in Harrisonburg, at night anyways. It is amazing how much harder the ac has to work in the high humidity vs. high heat.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:05 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
So I live in Richmond (not just 4 days!), have lived in Charlottesville, and spend a LOT of time in a second house by the chesapeake and in the tidewater. I fear you are not correct, I stand by my previous statement.

The lowest humidity I've experienced was when I lived in Denver. The most was when I lived in Miami, or New Orleans in the summer. Richmond is reminiscent of coastal new england in the summer.

I note that RH humidity is fairly meaningless. Dewpoint is the actual useful number if you are trying to do a scientific comparison

Old 02-04-2021, 07:40 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
So I live in Richmond (not just 4 days!), have lived in Charlottesville, and spend a LOT of time in a second house by the chesapeake and in the tidewater. I fear you are not correct, I stand by my previous statement.

The lowest humidity I've experienced was when I lived in Denver. The most was when I lived in Miami, or New Orleans in the summer. Richmond is reminiscent of coastal new england in the summer.

I note that RH humidity is fairly meaningless. Dewpoint is the actual useful number if you are trying to do a scientific comparison
Hear that. I used to live in an area where the dewpoint was usually over 80 deg Fahrenheit. When I ran my AC unit at 72 degrees, water would bead on furniture upholstery and puddle and drip down my curtains and furniture and stream down my drywall to pool on the floor 1/2 or more inches deep.

So creepy. (And moldy and mildewy.)

Old 03-21-2021, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,246 times
OP here, thanks everyone!

Really do appreciate the extended replies to this question. I once lived in Richmond before, coming from the West, and was physically sick for the first month of moving there. The months that followed I had a very very difficult time adjusting. I just couldn't. The weather alone made me hate it. But I love VA's nature, outdoors quality, and historic places.

If I were still interested in moving back to anywhere in VA, thought my chances are slim based on weather alone. So, was curious if low humidity in VA was even possible, so that I wouldn't be so sick there. I may be seeing a concert in Vienna's Wolf Trap in June. Not sure if I can handle but will be sure nice to revisit the region for a few days. Maybe I can drive to an area for weather testing? Get out of the car, take a deep breath, and say yes or no lol.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
I've been in VA since 73 (moved here from Fla as a teen) and I know so many who moved here from the west. And I know of no one who became sick due to the weather here so this is strange. I get hating high humidity but getting sick from it is just something I have never heard. When I go west I feel the effects of working in very low humidity and I take precautions. I worked a lot in Yuma where humidity is pretty much non existent.

But you will find nowhere in VA where it is even remotely like living out west in a low humidity area. There are a few places here where the humidity may be lower on average but the low humidity here is still dramatically higher than out west. If humidity causes you physical issues then I am not sure living out east is for you. You could explore up in the NH, ME and VT areas where the humidity is lower but of course winters are not for the weak. I've spent a lot of time up there for pleasure and work and while they have some warm/humid days in the summer it doesn't last as long as what we see. And the beauty up there is something I could handle year round.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:33 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
In the colonial era, new arrivals who survived the first few years were considered "seasoned." While we are not faced with the diseases they faced, acclimatization to the heat and humidity for some is a process that takes time.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:05 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
I can see the issue of sickness with humidity. I am from this region, but have more allergic reactions when it is humid or damp. It has been this way since I was 7 or 8 years old; I LOVE dry weather as I feel better!

But Aquarian76's problems may not be humidity per se but another allergen, like forest molds (such as leaf molds), which thrives in humid areas, or certain tree pollens that are common here but not out west. If he/she lived in a forest and had problems then living in an open grassy area might be an entirely different experience.

Best thing to do IMHO is have a set of allergy tests run here in VA, or somewhere where they know the most likely allergens in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia