Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 07:12 PM

73 posts, read 187,969 times

Advertisements

Good evening,

I am hoping someone within this forum will be able to answer questions about the area and or surrounding area about the Town of Onancock - Accomack County. A friend may have a job in the Onancock area. Are there any suggestions where someone can live which is a nice and not too costly area? He doesn’t mind living further away from Onancock. An hour may be too far but I will go for that distance for now. He is 56 years old and doesn’t need a lot of things to do (night life, etc). Also, is there any additional information you may like to share about that area and or surrounding?

Thank you for your time.
Tanya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 04:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,238,039 times
A friend or you? At one point you say "I will go that distance for now". I love this area but have never lived there. Real estate prices seem very reasonable there but no idea on rentals. Not an area I might recommend for someone looking for nightlife and entertainment but this is ideal for me. Pretty close to VA Beach where you can find everything you'd need. Are you or your friend going to visit before moving there? Retired LEO here and what I advise is to find a LEO visiting a 7-11 or something and approach them asking about the area. Most agencies have policies where they cannot advise on where to live and where not to move but in a one on one setting I never hesitated to help someone in this situation.

Some think areas like this are typically crime free however they mirror pretty much everywhere else in the US. Crime happens even in gated communities. I would not let numbers scare me away from looking somewhere like this unless they were just way above average. When you see numbers on things such as violent crime or rape/sexual assault it more often than not involves folks who know each other. This site has a little info on the place. https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...k-accomack-va/

Old 03-08-2021, 04:33 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,503,893 times
It is a different lifestyle. Be very careful when buying and even renting. Portions of the Eastern Shore are being affected by rising sea waters and sinking land. Couple that with "king tides" and it will take a bit of checking from the planning commission and VIMS to see where to locate.

https://www.floodingresiliency.org

https://www.vims.edu/people/loftis_j...flood-data.php

https://www.co.accomack.va.us/depart...ood-protection

Old 03-11-2021, 06:51 AM

73 posts, read 187,969 times
Good morning. Thank you for the advice. My friend AJ has an interview at a police department in Accomack County tomorrow. He is currently a LEO.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:23 AM

18 posts, read 31,957 times
Hello. Guess I am kind of late to the party. Live in the area. Like Bigfoot said there are always areas that may want to be avoided. But Onancock is a small nice town. Good thing you are not interested in nite life because that is definately lacking. There is water everywhere and flooding can be a concern but also anything on the water tends to be pricier so if it seems too good to be true then I would be checking a map. There are a few small areas around Onancock the do have problems with wind and tides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia