Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 08:18 PM

1,752 posts, read 2,408,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I lived in NOVA for 42 years. No thanks on your comment. Moving away was the best thing I could have done for my sanity. When you hear that people are nicer in the country it is not just talk. It's very true. lower COL, less traffic and so on. While I occasionally miss some of the restaurants I do not miss the arrogance of the entitled people who populate NOVA.
Really?

I like people in the countryside but most people in NoVA are also considerate. We know we live jammed together in an area with people from different ethicities, backgrounds, religions and politics. Really, we share many of the same concerns such as crime, taxes, traffic, school quality, etc.. There are a few $%@# around of course, but those can be found any/everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 08:01 AM

346 posts, read 230,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Definitely want Virginia to become more progressive and less religious.
Maryland is a shining beacon compared to NC and TN. Those two states are regressing on social issues and that’s just unacceptable to me in 2021.

That's fair, it's your preferred outcome, but I still don't get how you can say Maryland is doing better on social issues than Virginia or North Carolina, for instance.

Take a look at Baltimore City. It's a terrible city to live in if you're lower income and Black. Not just crime but in lack of opportunity due to businesses being forced out by poor economic planning. How are conditions improving there for the residents? Wealth inequality is extreme there. Not to mention the other predominately black area in Maryland, Prince Georges County, having significantly lower property values than nearby Montgomery County. That affects generational wealth transfer.

Maryland is extremely stratified, more so than Virginia or North Carolina or Tennessee. I would not want to live there and population exodus out of their only major city corroborates this.

Virginia should not want to become like Maryland -- Maryland can't even win in the D.C. metro region, that goes to Northern Virginia.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:18 AM

382 posts, read 489,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Definitely want Virginia to become more progressive and less religious.
Maryland is a shining beacon compared to NC and TN. Those two states are regressing on social issues and that’s just unacceptable to me in 2021.
TN resident here. While it feels like Nashville and many other areas of the state are either becoming more liberal or less conservative socially, the state government is desperately trying to push back on it. It's embarrassing.

While the state has hospitals closing left and right and a gun problem that is getting out of control, our state government focused an entire legislative session on making it easier for loonies and criminals to carry guns anywhere they want and are obsessed with dictating who uses which bathroom... and recently, we've made the news for all the wrong reasons with our governor firing a top public health official simply for promoting a life-saving and pandemic-ending vaccine.

I doubt Virginia wants to go the pathway of the loopy TN GOP. While we have a lot of great things going for us economically in the state at the moment, much of this growth is centered around Nashville... which has almost always been governed by Democrats.

Last edited by somewhereoutthere15; 07-18-2021 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-18-2021, 09:00 PM

605 posts, read 805,941 times
I love Colonial Williamsburg, so I guess East?

Old 07-19-2021, 05:59 AM

4,610 posts, read 6,385,954 times
"Take a look at Baltimore City. It's a terrible city to live in if you're lower income and Black." News flash: it doesn't matter where you live if you happen to fit that description.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-19-2021, 03:28 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,593,330 times
Baltimore is one of the most gentrified cities.

link

D.C. is number 1 with blacks now a minority.

link2

Old 07-19-2021, 05:43 PM

346 posts, read 230,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Baltimore is one of the most gentrified cities.

link

D.C. is number 1 with blacks now a minority.

link2
I'm scratching my head trying to understand this non-sequitur. Are you implying that Baltimore is only losing it's black population and therefore not doing as bad as it seems on paper?

To be a "shining beacon" it should be looking after all of it's residents, providing actual opportunity by not "forcing" businesses to go elsewhere. So if Blacks are leaving in greater numbers that still tells me something is very wrong there to cause them all to leave. So much for being progressive!

Old 07-19-2021, 06:02 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,593,330 times
DC population overall and black population are both growing. The gentrification is leading to more affluent families moving in.

To be a shining beacon, it should attract new residents and businesses which is the goal of gentrification.

Recent long-term trend has been to disperse housing the poor with subsidiized rent vouchers to avoid ghettos and projects.

The cities will change. There are lot of examples of run-down towns in poor rural areas where the one industry has abandoned it.

Old 07-20-2021, 08:59 AM

35,105 posts, read 31,381,963 times
I think VA is in a fairly good position.

It's somewhat socially liberal, but still moderate taxes and business friendly. I'm pro marijuana. I have no issues with people owning firearms with reasonable restrictions. I also don't think it should be "anything goes" with guns. I want some guardrails on capitalism to help moderate the business cycle.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,899,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think VA is in a fairly good position.

It's somewhat socially liberal, but still moderate taxes and business friendly. I'm pro marijuana. I have no issues with people owning firearms with reasonable restrictions. I also don't think it should be "anything goes" with guns. I want some guardrails on capitalism to help moderate the business cycle.
There arent enough Libertarians to keep Virginia as is. The state is in a rapid flux towards Progressive. This is just a middle stage for the Commonwealth towards a deeper blue on the whole.

I thought TN/KY firmly Libertarian so remains steady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia