Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 08:42 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So let me ask, geologically speaking, you are saying the bay on both the eastern shore of VA and mainland VA doesn't have that much sand for beaching. It is either muddy or bluffs, why is it that? Especially the bluffs, since this is the tidewater I would expect marshes.

Let me ask, is Maryland just the same or does it have more sandy beaches?

Also, how does this compare to say the Long Island sound shoreline?

As for river culture, again I don't get it, the bay is bigger, better, and wouldn't you rather boat there?
In order:
- The western shore of the bay is a lot marsh land. The eastern shore of the bay is less so is effected by the private ownership and the application of the Public Trust Doctrine in VA. (Plus the sand width is narrow.) The bluffs are where the rivers come down into the bay... they are not tall, but you can't lay on your beach blanket on a 4 foot embankment very well LOL.

- Maryland is more of the same, maybe more so on the bay side. Remember, the bay is not open ocean but more of a river estuary; you see the same thing down in NC with the Pamlico Sounds with no beach on the west side and little beach on the east side. Tidal actions in such sounds and bays and up the rivers are not the same as on the ocean shore line. Why the ocean side of the Eastern shore is so marshy is an interesting geological question that I can't answer. And why it changes to sandy shore south of the Bay's exit into the sea, in Virginia beach is another good question. But it varies like that all the way down the eastern coast; the beaches of Myrtle Beach change to tidal flats before you get to Charleston.

- I haven't ever been on the northern shorelines except for NJ and Maine so can't help you compare with the LI Sound. The NY/New England area lies on a lot of hard rock, and that is quite different than the tidewater region's geology.

- I don't own a boat LOL. I am just saying it makes no sense to try play on a tidal flat. Hopefully a true boater in the bay area can answer your question. I do know from boating friends from NC that once you get far out from shore, it becomes a whole new ball game as far as safety, and just serious fishermen go far from shore. It makes sense if you are just recreating to stay within the confines of a river; a pontoon boat on the open Bay when a storm kicks up sounds like a really bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 03:22 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,440,357 times
Thanks, so basically where the shore meets land is not always a sandy beach like I am used to on the Atlantic.
It often can have bluffs or tidal flats; the Chesapeake in particular has it both on the east/west/MD/VA shores, correct?

I guess this explains why people usually don't talk much about going to the beach on the bay, and why so few people go to the Eastern Shore of VA.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:38 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,959 times
That's pretty much it, IMHO.

If you like maps, then google 'exmore va' and then select the map and then the satellite view and scroll up and down the shores on both sides of the Eastern Shore and the western shore of the Bay; you're gonna see lots of tidal flats. You're also gonna see some narrow stretches of sandy shores in the east side of the VA part of the Bay, but most of it fronts on privately owned land and that is where laws come into play.

I did this today and saw more beaches on the eastern side of the Eastern Shore, but so much is on inaccessible isolated banks beyond the tidal flats that they can only be reached by boat, or they are within wildlife refuges and other restricted gov't areas like Wallops Island. Once you get up to Ocean City MD, it looks more like the 'Joisey' shoreline.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:51 AM

Any reason why there is such a lack of sand on the bay?
I mean there is a lot of sand on Long Island Sound, and isn't a sound and bay the same thing?

Also, I still don't get why there are bluffs on the bay, since it is flat tidewater.

Old 09-08-2021, 06:35 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
I mean there is a lot of sand on Long Island Sound, and isn't a sound and bay the same thing?

Also, I still don't get why there are bluffs on the bay, since it is flat tidewater.
The Chesapeake Bay was actually formed by a meteor collision and glaciers. It’s actually very interesting. You should research it.

Last edited by Spazkat9696; 09-08-2021 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 05:21 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,405,078 times
Quote:
There is a luscious sandy beach at the southern tip of Tangier Island in the Bay.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:05 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,374,299 times
"Any reason why there is such a lack of sand on the bay?" I'd say erosion. For how many thousands of years have the tributary rivers deposited silt in the bay. Look at a recent aerial shot of the alluvial fan where the Mississippi River dumps into the Gulf, compare it to what it once looked like, and you have your answer to why there is very little sand. Silty rivers (like those in VA) deposit silt, not sand. I prefer sand between my toes, not mud....for a beach experience, I go to the ocean. Just my opinion.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 09-12-2021 at 05:34 AM..

Old 10-06-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
There is a luscious sandy beach at the southern tip of Tangier Island in the Bay.
Yea, that beach is amazing.
Why isn't mainland VA loaded with these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Any reason why there is such a lack of sand on the bay?" I'd say erosion. For how many thousands of years have the tributary rivers deposited silt in the bay. Look at a recent aerial shot of the alluvial fan where the Mississippi River dumps into the Gulf, compare it to what it once looked like, and you have your answer to why there is very little sand. Silty rivers (like those in VA) deposit silt, not sand. I prefer sand between my toes, not mud....for a beach experience, I go to the ocean. Just my opinion.

Regards
Gemstone1
I just don't get why it seems most of the Chesapeake's west shore in VA (I know nothing of what the eastern shore for the Chesapeake is like) has such little clean beach spots.
It seems most of the beach spots are in coves, without the coves it has a lot of brush/weeds or is so rough on the surface you need river shoes.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:26 AM

978 posts, read 676,393 times
You said

“It seems most of the beach spots are in coves, without the coves it has a lot of brush/weeds or is so rough on the surface you need river shoes.

Don’t take this the wrong way, it’s as if you are trying to change something that isn’t The Chesapeake bay compared to the northeast is like a giant swamp. It never had the glacial deposits the northeast got. Totally different. As someone else pointed out, the rivers are pumping in silt.
On Long Island for example, you have the peconic bay system, very sandy. But why? Because the last glacier deposited all that rock and ground up rock(sand).
Another thought on the lack of public beach or space on the Chesapeake is due to most all being private property.
Much of which goes back hundreds of years.
“No beach for you!!!!!”

Old 10-19-2021, 07:39 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,405,078 times
Quote:
Yea, that beach is amazing.
Why isn't mainland VA loaded with these?

I just don't get why it seems most of the Chesapeake's west shore in VA (I know nothing of what the eastern shore for the Chesapeake is like) has such little clean beach spots.
It seems most of the beach spots are in coves, without the coves it has a lot of brush/weeds or is so rough on the surface you need river shoes.
As Homestead123 pointed out, the geology is different. Also, the Chesapeake Bay has a higher level of sea level rise, as the land in this area is sinking, along with the rise in water level. There is a lot of erosion on the western shore. The salt water is cutting into formerly fertile banks and killing trees. The trees die, then the bushes and low lying plants. Salt tolerant marsh grasses may take over briefly, but soon vanish under the waves. I spent my early childhood in a house that fronted a tributary mouth into the bay. Where my house used to be is now a navigable channel.

I was at one of the western shore public beaches last week. Fossil Beach near the mouth of the Potomac River. It's a small beach and can get crowded but the bluffs are striking. It's located in Westmoreland State Park and it is possible to rent kayaks there.

Last edited by ersatz; 10-19-2021 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia