Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 21,279 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 9 year old son will be moving to Virginia this fall. He is currently working in the DC area with the Air Force and is on orders until October. He has 3 full job offers there (2 would be working in Herndon, Va and one of those is most likely the one he will take) and I am researching areas to live so that when I go visit him there in a few weeks we can look at the area that look good. From what I have seen so far, Centreville, Chantilly, Reston and Herdon all look pretty nice. I need info on where the best schools are though (our son will be going into the 4th grade). Our son is VERY into sports. He plays baseball, football and basketball. Do these area have good youth sports parks?
Also, if anyone can help us locate a home to rent (3br at least, takes pets) that would be available toward the end of the summer, that would be a great help. I also am looking for a job. I have been an Admin Asst., Exec Admin. Asst., Marketing Dir., Asst retail store mngr., Vet asst., I also have taught preschool. I would love to work as a preschool teacher again, or if I continue to work as an Admin Asst., I would love to find a position with more flexible hours (ie 7-3:30 or something like that). Any info on any of these things would be great!

Thanks
Ali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 AM

Unhappy Wow

Well.... never mind. Maybe I will try Maryland instead.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Thumbs down Maryland is even worse

I grew up in Baltimore and worked in northern Virginia for Army for 30 years. Commuting from MD to Herndon is a killer, trust me, there's really only one way to go (Beltway and the American Legion Bridge at Cabin John, MD) and it's a parking lot. Many of the MD suburbs are crowded, old, costly and not very pretty.

I'm now retired and out here in Colorado Springs. There's a ton of USAF here, and tons of contractor jobs, with more coming. Try your best to get here, especially after you read all the VA stuff in the VA forum. Hope you look at my posting in the CO forum on "why choose colorado springs."

If you must move to VA, take the Herndon job and live as far out as you can in the Ashburn-Leesburg-Purcellville corridor. Maybe even Berryville or Winchester will do if price is really critical.

Prices and traffic are awful. Use MOD cut to check prices in any area. In the Other Topics forum are some pointers on how to research potential places to live.

Email me privately if you wish.

Best of luck. Hope you post the results of your searching to let us know what you end up doing in these matters.

Thanks!
s/Mike and Susan

Last edited by Yac; 05-12-2006 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 PM

30 posts, read 154,969 times
Nah don't let this guy scare you. There is nothing wrong with Virginia or Maryland. I have lived in the DC suburbs my whole life. Home prices are an issue for most people, but I'm sure you'll be able to manage, especially since prices are stabalizing and coming down around here. As far as schools go, Montgomery County and Fairfax County have always been at the top of the list nationally. You'll have tons of things to do in the area. Traffic is bad during rush hour, and AVOID I-66 in Virginia at all costs-do not move anywhere near there, it is the worst road ever, and that is no exagerration, it is backed up at all hours of every day.

Growing up in this area, I definitely prefer Maryland-traffic is a lot better, and the area is not packed in like a can of sardines like Virginia is. Montgomery County is actually still about half rural, whereas you'd have trouble finding an open field in Fairfax County. If you don't believe me, check out a map. Fairfax County is one huge city. Loudon County is getting very populated, but there aren't many jobs there that I know of. Anyway I hope this helps you, as I've enjoyed living here.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 AM

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will be up there May 25- June 2. I am going to look around and get a feel for the areas.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:32 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Default Best wishes for a safe trip.

Ace: Hope your trip is fruitful. Both Fairfax County, VA and Montgomery County, MD have a lot to offer, but we left because of high housing prices and severe traffic congestion that we believe honestly had a negative impact on the quality of life, as we perceive it. Then again, if your income level allows you to live near where you work, both areas can be quite pleasant.

We're going back in June to see a niece graduate, but ending up booking a motel in Frederick, MD (for $99/night) instead of near Dulles Airport in VA, where motels run $175-225 per night - at the same chains. Frederick gives us an easy shot at family in Northern Virginia via Rte 15 (one hour drive) or to my family in Baltimore (also an hour drive). Saving $100 per night for 10 nights is worth a bit of driving, at least to me, and I know all the roads.

Yes, it is possible to live in the Frederick area and commute to Herndon, but you'd be looking at a 90-minute drive each way, most days, worse on some.

I've been following the DC area housing market in the Washington Post, even though we no longer live there. Recently I heard that there is an 11.5 month supply of homes on the market, meaning many sellers may be willing to come down in price to make a sale. Investors and speculators seem to be dumping properties now that the real estate bubble is deflating in that market. If you care to, read some of the postings on the Post's discussion pages: http://forums.washingtonpost.com/wpr...es/?msg=5641.1 Check out Spring Market for percentage changes from last year's market.

Good luck to you, and please let us know how you did and what you think of the area.

s/Mike

Old 05-21-2006, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,308 times
Default No. Va

Mt.Vernon is a nice area to live, and there are homes that are one some land. i have a single family house with 1 ac. Also I know a preschool in Springfield that is looking for teachers. The school is St. Christopher's Preschool.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:50 AM

97 posts, read 763,636 times
Default RE: Moving to Virginia from Alabama

You may be interested in Martinsburg or Charles Town, West Virginia.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,658 times
I also work for the USAF and am moving to the Herndon area. Where does your husband work, what is his job? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 21,673 times
Even though it's been 10 years since I lived in Northern VA, I grew up there and know the area well. Nowadays it's only slightly cheaper to live in Loudon county across the border from Fairfax, but the Fairfax schools continue to be some of the tops. All that area is one big burb so living closer to Herndon as possible would work. I wouldn't want to do the Centreville/Herdon commute anymore. I lived in Sterling before moving to Oregon and it wasn't bad, but there are nicer areas. I can't say Maryland is any better especially if you have to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia