Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 10:30 AM

31 posts, read 25,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I know White River Jct. and Woodstock well. I have been going to Groton twice a year since the 70's. You aren't going to find much diversity in Floyd. It is a really small town and it's kind of isolated. If you think Floyd is a pretty area, Bath County/Warm Springs will be like heaven. Floyd is hilly, but Warm Springs is definitely in the mountains. Warm Springs is another one that is pretty isolated. Shopping will probably have to be done in a place like Covington, which I was never really impressed with. However, Clifton Forge is a cool little town just up the road. I would take a good look at Abingdon and the surrounding areas in Washington County. It's a little bit further south on 81, but that area is really nice and Abingdon is a really nice town. Has a bit more than Floyd. It's also the beginning of the Virginia Creeper Trail, which is really cool if you are into biking. It goes from Abingdon to the small town of Damascus. Another place to check out is Rockbridge County near Lexington. Lexington is another really cool town with a ton of stuff for how many people live there. Those are my two votes. Abingdon and Lexington. Just do a Google image search. Beautiful towns in great areas.
Hi there,

A very tardy follow-up to your message after my trip to Floyd. First of all - thank you - I found everything you wrote to completely resonate with my experience. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Abingdon, Clifton Forge or Warm Springs area but we're making another trip down in July. I know I will love the mountain area!

Quick summary of trip:

Floyd - very pretty but a little too small and isolated - just as you said. I fell in love with the open hills dotted with cows and some specific roads were jaw-droppingly gorgeous but I don't think this is our spot.

Blacksburg - a little too "sprawley" and not our thing.

Lexington - stopped for lunch on the way up to Staunton and I absolutely loved it there. My #1 but might be a little hotter than I'd hoped for (summer weatherwise)

Staunton - just there for an evening (stayed in Stuarts Draft which was a bit too suburban and noisy) - loved the town and will revisit - am thinking the west side between Lexington & Staunton might be a great fit.

We've seen a few good houses on Zillow in Pearisburg - would you happen to know/have any comments about that area? Curious about Buena Vista, too.

We plan to drive down in July to look at houses for sale. It's tricky - the good ones sell so quickly. Can't do it all but need to narrow down this list of areas to visit:

FOR SURE
- Lexington--->Staunton, Clifton Forge, High Country areas
- Abingdon/Washington County (close to Bristol, TN for big shops too - hopefully, the landfill smell doesn't reach Abingdon!)

TBD:
- Pembroke/Pearisburg area

Thanks again for your previous comments and I welcome any more should you have them :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 10:32 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
The landfill smell is not an issue in Abingdon.

With that said, the landfill, when I do smell it, is absolutely atrocious. I live in Bristol, fairly far from the landfill, and don't usually smell it. I went downtown during the morning last week and the smell was everywhere.

I like Abingdon, and it has the essentials (Lowe's, Walmart, grocery stores, a movie theater, some very good restaurants, Creeper Trail). Sam's Club, Target, Home Depot, Rural King, and multiple dining chains (Chili's, Golden Corral, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, Mellow Mushroom pizza) between exit 5 and exit 7 in Bristol. The Pinnacle on the TN side has more clothing/shoes/mall type shopping.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:21 AM

Thanks, Serious Conversation! Would you say there's an authentic (e.g. quaint but not in a fake way) walkable downtown area (with the box stores situated elsewhere), or if it's sort of strip-mall/sprawley in Abingdon? Lowes is always handy but we prefer to food shop at natural food markets/co-ops etc. Something with lots of local and organic products?

Old 06-14-2022, 12:36 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJoJo View Post
Thanks, Serious Conversation! Would you say there's an authentic (e.g. quaint but not in a fake way) walkable downtown area (with the box stores situated elsewhere), or if it's sort of strip-mall/sprawley in Abingdon? Lowes is always handy but we prefer to food shop at natural food markets/co-ops etc. Something with lots of local and organic products?
Abingdon has a traditional Main St. with a good bit of walkable restaurants, bars, a theater, and various boutique shops. Most of this type of thing is concentrated on the Main St. or a block or two off of it.

Abingdon has a great farmer's market for a small town its size and a small natural foods store called Blue Hills Market. The regional grocery chain, Food City, is headquartered in Abingdon, and has its flagship store right off of exit 17. You certainly won't find everything you need at the natural store/farmer's markets.

I'm referring to Lowe's, the warehouse store, not the grocery. Most of the big box shopping in Abingdon is right off the interstates at exit 17 and 19.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:58 PM

28 posts, read 40,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJoJo View Post
Hi there,

We've seen a few good houses on Zillow in Pearisburg - would you happen to know/have any comments about that area? Curious about Buena Vista, too.

TBD:
- Pembroke/Pearisburg area

Thanks again for your previous comments and I welcome any more should you have them :-)
Pearisburg native here currently living in Lancaster County PA. I was just there for a high school reunion.

Giles County is a beautiful area, surrounded by mountains. It's marketed as Virginia's Mountain Playground.

There is a varied selection of eateries including The Palisades Restaurant in Eggleston, which gets rave reviews nationally. A soul food restaurant recently opened in Pearisburg. Several small independent markets in the county. Several good Mexican restaurants too.

Retail wise, Food Lion, Wal-Mart and a couple of independent stores some of which carry local produce.

Since you're working from home, be advised that internet can be spotty. Population centers have cable and there is at least one wireless internet provider (using 4G).

Pembroke has seen lots of new home construction as you've no doubt seen online.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:07 AM

Serious Conversation - thank you for the follow-up. That all sounds great. Can't wait to visit Abingdon.

larryk - I hope you had a good reunion! The Palisades menu looks fabulous. Silver & Salt looks very interesting. Love the home page pic on the Pearisburg website you linked to. There aren't any good Mexican restaurants in this part of the woods (Vermont) so that's a serious bonus because we both love traditional Mexican food. One of the houses we're interested in is served by Hughes (satellite).

Old 08-10-2022, 08:02 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
I think you would LOVE Lexington. Lots of outdoor hiking, boating, exploring in mountains.
It has a large organic farming community — large farmers market and lots to do there.
There’s a small but good hospital, and W&L university is lovely.
The people are friendly and a big arts community. Very low crime.
It’s also an easy 45-60 minute drive to Charlottesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia