Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 11:57 AM

31 posts, read 25,236 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Completely unexpectedly, my partner is leaving for VA tomorrow with a friend to get a feel for the area. We have been looking (virtually) at realty and weather in the Floyd area for over a year but haven't been able to get away to visit...until now...or tomorrow!

I've completed the info per the sticky below. We love the sound and look of Floyd so that's def. on our list. I have found a couple of properties in Warm Springs that we want to check out, but would love to know where residents there go grocery shopping (we can live forever without box stores but would love access to a local-ish co-op for organic produce etc.).

Floyd County appeals greatly because of: higher elevation (cooler summers), music scene, farmer scene, community-focused (it seems). We try to grow and put-up as much food as possible so your longer growing season is also a big plus.

Any other Floyd-ish spots we should consider?

Any realtors who have a good grasp on a variety of areas instead of just their local one?

In case it matters, we are pro-informed consent (part of the reason for moving away from VT which is getting very heavy-handed).

Thanks so much for your help!

----------------------------------

When are you moving? - Spring 2022

Where are you coming from? Vermont

Why are you moving? Property taxes too high, winters too harsh and long, politics are getting fanatical

Where will you be working? From home

Have you been here yet? Leaving tomorrow!

Will you buy or rent? Buy (may rent first)

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House/farm. 10+ acres. $300-$550k

Are you married or single? Do you have children? In relationship. No kids. We are in our 50's.

Do you have pets? 2 dogs, 2 horses, ducks & chickens

Do you want or need a yard? Yes

Are you keeping a car? Yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Somewhere in between - secluded/quiet location but close enough to a small town (like Floyd).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 01:09 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
There's a pretty nicely stocked natural foods store in Floyd - Home - Harvest Moon Food Store - it's a surprising amenity for the size of the community. It looks like Floyd also has a Food Lion for regular groceries.

It's about a 30 minute drive to the nearest Kroger in Christiansburg if you need to find things you can't find elsewhere!

This is a few years old but it offers a glimpse into the uniqueness of Floyd... https://youtu.be/G140-r9r2gc

Old 12-16-2021, 05:55 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
From Warm Springs, go to Covington for a larger grocery store. Not gonna be like Floyd, though. Warm Springs/Hot Springs has been an old resort area for almost 2 centuries so is not the old mountain agriculture type of area.

Union WV comes to mind as somewhat like Floyd.... but not the music. That is pretty unique to Floyd and Galax. Also, Max Meadows, and Jefferson City and Sparta NC would be on my lists. Also, Mountain City TN. All those have the higher elevations and ag, and are out of thew way spots. But Floyd was an area that attracted some hippies back in the day, and they kept the more relaxed live-and-let-live attitudes. (A lot of the VT hippie migration was from NYC/Grenwich Village, IIRC; could the be the source of more and more craziness.)

Old 12-17-2021, 06:01 AM

Thank you mm9! Sounds like Floyd is the best bet although, from what I can tell from online pics (which is likely not much!) the topography/landscape around Warm Springs is stunning.

My partner is on his way to Floyd now. He's going to try to get to there in time for the music at the country store tonight.

Relaxed live and let live - yes! What strange times we live in.

I've checked out those areas of TN but for some reason, it's quite a bit more expensive than VA. Other than that it would def. be on our list.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:49 AM

Yep, if you want the music thing, then Floyd and Galax are pretty unique. My son and I discussed it (he lives in Salem, where I grew up) and we can't think of a similar area with that factor.

Having said that, I am not sure I would limit my searches to one area.

Warm Springs/Hot Springs does have great scenery. It is more deeply set in the mountains and you will be more deeply surrounded by them, and most of the mountain land is either National Forest or privately owned and not developed. When growing up, I always wanted to have a place in Warm Springs or near Monterey, due to the beauty and isolation, but I have changed my mind now that I am at retirement age.

Floyd and nearby places like Max Meadows and the Bent Mountain area set up on a high plateau that is more hilly and open. You are more 'up on' the mountains there rather 'down in' the mountains. I mentioned Union WV as it sets in a pretty area in the Greenbrier River valley, and is more open in much of that area.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:28 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,747,738 times
my parents are from vermont and I still go there twice a year. I live in the mountains of VA, and I went to floyd for the first time a year or so ago. I joked with my parents that floyd was more vermont than vermont was. it's kinda like vermont from my childhood. I know every smallish town in SW and central VA. how big of a town are you looking for? warm springs is in bath county, and the property taxes in bath county are some of the lowest in the state. a $500k house would be less than $3k a year.

Old 12-19-2021, 07:42 AM

Hi Lionsgators,

Great connections! The feedback I have from my partner so far:

- Country Store was fun, relaxed - but mostly white-haired clientele! (which is funny b/c he has white hair and is far from young, but I think he was hoping for a more diverse mix)

- Harvest Moon is great - like our little co-op in White River Junction but a bit bigger (this is key for me!)

- Area is beautiful (has sent lots of pics and it looks gorgeous - more open than VT)

Today they are going west of Floyd, and then heading up to Warm Springs area.

No matter what, property taxes in VA will be cheaper than here. I've been watching the Floyd weather for 2 years on my phone app - always at least 10 degrees warmer in the winter. We got 8" of snow in VT last night.

To answer your question: I'd love to be up to 20-30 mins (or closer) away from a town the size of, roughly, Floyd just so that grocery shopping/banking/socializing isn't too much of a jaunt.

At the moment, I live 10 mins away from Woodstock, VT which has just about everything needed but it's a total tourist town so very pricey, and 20-30 minutes away from Lebanon, NH which is not a nice area, but has a fantastic co-op for when I do the monthly "big shop."

Most importantly (and I know this is as much up to me as anything) I'd like to live around friendly people and have an opportunity to be neighborly and helpful.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2021, 06:15 PM

I think you will find friendly to not be a problem in rural SW VA. Gets moreso the further SW you go, and into TN.

I had to laugh at this line: " I joked with my parents that floyd was more vermont than vermont was. it's kinda like vermont from my childhood." But I bet there is a lot of truth to it.

The 8" of snow sounds good!

Old 12-19-2021, 09:33 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJoJo View Post
Hello everyone!

Completely unexpectedly, my partner is leaving for VA tomorrow with a friend to get a feel for the area. We have been looking (virtually) at realty and weather in the Floyd area for over a year but haven't been able to get away to visit...until now...or tomorrow!

I've completed the info per the sticky below. We love the sound and look of Floyd so that's def. on our list. I have found a couple of properties in Warm Springs that we want to check out, but would love to know where residents there go grocery shopping (we can live forever without box stores but would love access to a local-ish co-op for organic produce etc.).

Floyd County appeals greatly because of: higher elevation (cooler summers), music scene, farmer scene, community-focused (it seems). We try to grow and put-up as much food as possible so your longer growing season is also a big plus.

The Food Lion is the most popular grocery shopping choice in Floyd. It is basic but should have what you need. The Harvest Moon store is one of the better health food/gourmet item stores I have seen, especially for a rural area, but it is expensive. Locals also shop at Slaughters a couple miles outside of town. It is primarily a (very good) garden center but the family who owns it also has a grocery store with a surprisingly diverse range of products. Usually, Slaughters Grocery has a good selection of meat and usually a selection of locally made deli products such as potato salad, coleslaw, etc.

For anything more, people drive 23 miles north to Christiansburg, which has most of the usual Big Box stores. There is a nice Amish bakery on the drive up Route 8 between Floyd and Christiansburg. The bakery carries a range of bulk goods (think jams, pickled foods, mixes and spices.)

In the summer, the town of Floyd also has a Farmers Market on Saturdays.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:49 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,747,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJoJo View Post
Hi Lionsgators,

Great connections! The feedback I have from my partner so far:

- Country Store was fun, relaxed - but mostly white-haired clientele! (which is funny b/c he has white hair and is far from young, but I think he was hoping for a more diverse mix)

- Harvest Moon is great - like our little co-op in White River Junction but a bit bigger (this is key for me!)

- Area is beautiful (has sent lots of pics and it looks gorgeous - more open than VT)

Today they are going west of Floyd, and then heading up to Warm Springs area.

No matter what, property taxes in VA will be cheaper than here. I've been watching the Floyd weather for 2 years on my phone app - always at least 10 degrees warmer in the winter. We got 8" of snow in VT last night.

To answer your question: I'd love to be up to 20-30 mins (or closer) away from a town the size of, roughly, Floyd just so that grocery shopping/banking/socializing isn't too much of a jaunt.

At the moment, I live 10 mins away from Woodstock, VT which has just about everything needed but it's a total tourist town so very pricey, and 20-30 minutes away from Lebanon, NH which is not a nice area, but has a fantastic co-op for when I do the monthly "big shop."

Most importantly (and I know this is as much up to me as anything) I'd like to live around friendly people and have an opportunity to be neighborly and helpful.

Hope this helps!
I know White River Jct. and Woodstock well. I have been going to Groton twice a year since the 70's. You aren't going to find much diversity in Floyd. It is a really small town and it's kind of isolated. If you think Floyd is a pretty area, Bath County/Warm Springs will be like heaven. Floyd is hilly, but Warm Springs is definitely in the mountains. Warm Springs is another one that is pretty isolated. Shopping will probably have to be done in a place like Covington, which I was never really impressed with. However, Clifton Forge is a cool little town just up the road. I would take a good look at Abingdon and the surrounding areas in Washington County. It's a little bit further south on 81, but that area is really nice and Abingdon is a really nice town. Has a bit more than Floyd. It's also the beginning of the Virginia Creeper Trail, which is really cool if you are into biking. It goes from Abingdon to the small town of Damascus. Another place to check out is Rockbridge County near Lexington. Lexington is another really cool town with a ton of stuff for how many people live there. Those are my two votes. Abingdon and Lexington. Just do a Google image search. Beautiful towns in great areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia