Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 07:33 AM

6 posts, read 6,737 times

Advertisements

I'm a young, Charlottesville-based JMU grad and NOVA native with a perma-remote job and just enough financial security to be in the market to purchase a home together with my fiancé.

We're big fans of the Shenandoah and the upper Piedmont corridor from Lynchburg to Warrenton, with a preference for the more northern towns and counties due to personal and career links with the DC region. We don't need to be within commuting range of NOVA, but a sub-two-hour drive is preferable.

Not looking for a "forever home," but rather a child- and dog-friendly starter home where we can get the most "bang for your buck" from a real estate investment perspective.

The ideal would be a single family home in an established Staunton, Harrisonburg, Cville, Culpeper, or Warrenton neighborhood, or otherwise a standalone SFH on 1-5 acres within easy driving distance of those towns. However, we're very open to alternatives to those areas -- those are just the spots we're familiar with.

Where would you recommend we look?

Hard preferences:

-- Fast, reliable internet available by end-year 2022. I know many counties are participating in rural broadband initiatives, but most are still in the planning stages.

-- At least 1,000sqf and 3br, with enough room for 1-2 kids and a home office.

-- A fenced-in yard, or the potential for a fenced yard. We have a very large, very social dog that wouldn't fare well without a yard or easy access to a dog park. Given the areas we're investigating, the dog park route won't be too practical.

-- Under $400,000 but with strong potential to appreciate in value.

Soft preferences:

-- A quiet, kid-friendly neighborhood. The kids in our future will probably appreciate it, and I definitely will, as I work UK hours -- very early to bed and very early to rise .

-- Enough yard for a ~400sqf garden or more, and animal-friendly zoning should we decide to lay in some hens and a rooster.

-- Not a cookie-cutter home or in a newly-developed neighborhood. Who doesn't like mature foliage and unique architecture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 08:54 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalad View Post
I'm a young, Charlottesville-based JMU grad and NOVA native with a perma-remote job and just enough financial security to be in the market to purchase a home together with my fiancé.

We're big fans of the Shenandoah and the upper Piedmont corridor from Lynchburg to Warrenton, with a preference for the more northern towns and counties due to personal and career links with the DC region. We don't need to be within commuting range of NOVA, but a sub-two-hour drive is preferable.

Not looking for a "forever home," but rather a child- and dog-friendly starter home where we can get the most "bang for your buck" from a real estate investment perspective.

The ideal would be a single family home in an established Staunton, Harrisonburg, Cville, Culpeper, or Warrenton neighborhood, or otherwise a standalone SFH on 1-5 acres within easy driving distance of those towns. However, we're very open to alternatives to those areas -- those are just the spots we're familiar with.

Where would you recommend we look?

Hard preferences:

-- Fast, reliable internet available by end-year 2022. I know many counties are participating in rural broadband initiatives, but most are still in the planning stages.

-- At least 1,000sqf and 3br, with enough room for 1-2 kids and a home office.

-- A fenced-in yard, or the potential for a fenced yard. We have a very large, very social dog that wouldn't fare well without a yard or easy access to a dog park. Given the areas we're investigating, the dog park route won't be too practical.

-- Under $400,000 but with strong potential to appreciate in value.

Soft preferences:

-- A quiet, kid-friendly neighborhood. The kids in our future will probably appreciate it, and I definitely will, as I work UK hours -- very early to bed and very early to rise .

-- Enough yard for a ~400sqf garden or more, and animal-friendly zoning should we decide to lay in some hens and a rooster.

-- Not a cookie-cutter home or in a newly-developed neighborhood. Who doesn't like mature foliage and unique architecture?
Although you won't get acreage, you might want to check out the Montclair community in Dumfries, VA---about 40 miles south of DC.

https://www.montclairva.com/

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...h/Montclair_VA

Old 03-30-2022, 09:09 AM

Thanks Columbus! However, we’re leaning toward the I-81 or Route-29 corridors rather than I-95. Our money seems to go further out here, and we’d rather not buy a townhome. We’re currently renting one, and it’s suboptimal for the pooch/garden.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:03 PM

44 posts, read 47,860 times
Depending on how long you're planning to stay, pay attention to schools. They are generally much better on the Cville side of the mountains than in the Shenandoah Valley. We're dealing with terrible schools and a declining school budget in Staunton. Waynesboro is equally bad. Have you looked at Crozet?

Old 03-31-2022, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey123 View Post
Depending on how long you're planning to stay, pay attention to schools. They are generally much better on the Cville side of the mountains than in the Shenandoah Valley. We're dealing with terrible schools and a declining school budget in Staunton. Waynesboro is equally bad. Have you looked at Crozet?
Thanks Suey! We quite like Crozet, and good to know about the schooling situation. But we're leaning heavily toward homeschooling and will probably relocate within a few years, so that isn't a top concern.

Do you know what the homeschool landscape is like in Staunton/Augusta? It seems well-developed in Cville/Albemarle, but if we were to move to the Valley long-term it'd be helpful to know.

Old 04-02-2022, 01:44 PM

44 posts, read 47,860 times
We homeschooled for several years. Unfortunately the homeschool co-ops in Staunton and Waynesboro closed down a few years ago and we had to go to Cville for any co-ops or activities. The only homeschool co-ops left in the Staunton/Augusta area are religious ones.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey123 View Post
We homeschooled for several years. Unfortunately the homeschool co-ops in Staunton and Waynesboro closed down a few years ago and we had to go to Cville for any co-ops or activities. The only homeschool co-ops left in the Staunton/Augusta area are religious ones.
That'd make sense; thanks for the info. We'll focus our search east of the mountains, then.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:52 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalad View Post
Thanks Columbus! However, we’re leaning toward the I-81 or Route-29 corridors rather than I-95. Our money seems to go further out here, and we’d rather not buy a townhome. We’re currently renting one, and it’s suboptimal for the pooch/garden.
Totally understand! Good luck novalad!

Old 04-03-2022, 01:20 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
I suggest looking at Culpeper County. We just put a contract on a house in Culpeper Co. so I know that inventory is low for homes >$400k but it’s worth a look.

Along the I-81 corridor, there have been some nice homes listed around Edinburg and Woodstock.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:49 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times
It might not fit into the exact parameters location wise that you are looking for, but Linden VA might be a place to look, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia