Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2022, 10:09 AM

47 posts, read 162,904 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

We're moving from Ashburn, VA to Culpeper (possibly Warrenton but we're familiar with that area so don't need info on that). My parents are in Warrenton so we'd like to be closer to them and don't need to commute anywhere. Schools aren't a consideration since the kids are grown.

The main things we're looking for are decent restaurants and low crime. I'm specifically wondering if there are certain areas of Culpeper we should avoid when buying our home. For example, there's a great house listed right now in the downtown area, but I've heard that's the "sketchiest" area. We'd like to buy in the nicer areas but being able to walk to downtown restaurants is appealing.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 10:27 AM

110 posts, read 118,672 times
Did you end up making the move?

Old 10-19-2022, 01:53 PM

We did! We ended up buying a house about 10 minutes outside of Culpeper. We've been here just over two months and are starting to venture out and see the area. Had dinner last night at Flavor on Main, it was good!

It's so different from Ashburn, in mostly all good ways. The people are SO MUCH NICER, it was almost a little jarring at first (again, in a good way). We have a fenced 3/4 acre so we adopted a second dog; they're outside playing right now and it's so good to see. We had a 3-level townhouse before, down to one level, which we're loving.

All in all, we're loving it here!

Old 10-20-2022, 01:52 PM

167 posts, read 162,563 times
Flavor on Main is a very nice restaurant. You should also try Piedmont Steak House as well as Grill 309. Grass Rootes is another favorite. The building was used as a prison by each side during the Civil War.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:54 PM

Oh Congrats! That is great news to hear! Sorry I didn't comment on your post earlier, I'm new to this site/forum. I totally agree though, something about NOVA suburbs brings out the bad attitudes for sure. But 95% of everywhere else you go in the state, the people are very friendly!

Check out Graze and Grizzle for a yummy burger! There is so much good food in Culpepper, its honestly amazing for a town that size!

Old 10-20-2022, 04:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,885 times
If you haven’t found it yet, check out the old movies schedule at the Library of Congress Packard Center. https://www.loc.gov/programs/audio-v...-this-program/ I’ve lived out this way for years and still haven’t made it there but have heard wonderful comments about it.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theminnow View Post
Flavor on Main is a very nice restaurant. You should also try Piedmont Steak House as well as Grill 309. Grass Rootes is another favorite. The building was used as a prison by each side during the Civil War.
I'm actually calling to book Piedmont for tomorrow night (hopefully). We had brunch at Grill 309 (Breakfast Poutine and the Greek omelet, both very good. Haven't tried Grass Rootes yet but it's on our list now, thanks! I'll have to look into its history, sounds very interesting!

Old 10-21-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdesertdude View Post
Oh Congrats! That is great news to hear! Sorry I didn't comment on your post earlier, I'm new to this site/forum. I totally agree though, something about NOVA suburbs brings out the bad attitudes for sure. But 95% of everywhere else you go in the state, the people are very friendly!

Check out Graze and Grizzle for a yummy burger! There is so much good food in Culpepper, its honestly amazing for a town that size!
No worries! I appreciate you reviving it.

I *think* Graze and Griddle is where we tried a chorizo burger, if I'm not mistaken, and it was excellent! We're definitely loving the food choices, it was unexpected and, you're right, unusual for such a small-ish town. It's a big change not to have good restaurants within walking distance but I wouldn't trade back for anything. Now we have so much peace and quiet with great restaurants just 10 minutes away! It's a wonderful trade-off.

Thanks again for checking in. Happy to take any more suggestions on things to do/places to eat that you think of!

Cheers

Old 10-21-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
If you haven’t found it yet, check out the old movies schedule at the Library of Congress Packard Center. https://www.loc.gov/programs/audio-v...-this-program/ I’ve lived out this way for years and still haven’t made it there but have heard wonderful comments about it.
This looks amazing, thank you for sharing! I've bookmarked it and will definitely make a visit once we're a bit more settled.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:43 AM

Of course! I love forums like this that aren't controversial. Just a couple of internet strangers offering some words of wisdom to one another.

The Chorizo burger definitely sounds like Graze + Griddle! Glad you enjoyed your meal there. I currently live in one of the biggest cities in the country, and our food scene is TERRIBLE compared to tiny little Culpepper haha. It's almost comical. I think the food in Virginia is cooked with Love <3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia