Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 05:21 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,170,975 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern Virginia, and I went to Maryland dealership (nearby state, not too far away) and buy a new car there (trade in my old car).

Dealer helped me register the new car with Virginia DMV, in the meanwhile, I have Maryland temporary registration card and temporary license plate (just paper license plate). I will install my Virginia license plate from used car (sold) to new car (just bought), after receiving Virginia registration card.

Above is brief explanation of my case, now the questions are: Do I need Virginia Car Safety Inspection and Emission Test? Dealer told me I need to do so, but I believe that brand new car is exempt from Virginia Car Safety Inspection Test and Emission Test for some time? For car safety inspection, maybe 1 year? For emission test, it may be 4 years? I don't know. Since it is maryland dealership, I doubt about what she told me about Virginia Car Safety Inspection and Emission Test. Is there DMV website to show my car safety inspection and emission test due date?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 07:12 AM

Or does any know: if you buy a new car in Virginia, will Virginia DMV send you some document like Car safety inspection exempt expiration date and emission exempt expiration date (if there is exempt for new car)? Or will system remind me if car safety inspection and/or emission test expired?

Thanks.

Edit: "https://fredericksburgautorepair.com/vehicle-safety-inspections-in-virginia-are-a-must/ , "New automobiles purchased in Virginia are also exempt from safety inspections for one year", but my car is purchased in Maryland while I am already a Virginia resident.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:04 PM

491 posts, read 393,899 times
If I am understanding you correctly you have a car from MD but now have VA tags on it? If so then you need a VA inspection. Officers will not be scouring the streets looking for you as this is a very low level non-moving violation and if you should happen to get pulled over the explanation will be fine with directions to get it done asap or you could receive a summons that you can later comply with.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
If I am understanding you correctly you have a car from MD but now have VA tags on it? If so then you need a VA inspection. Officers will not be scouring the streets looking for you as this is a very low level non-moving violation and if you should happen to get pulled over the explanation will be fine with directions to get it done asap or you could receive a summons that you can later comply with.
It is not I have a car from Maryland. I bought a brand new car from a Maryland dealership (for lower price, sale tax is Virginia tax rate), while I am Virginia resident and am not Maryland resident.

Let me make it clear: I live in Virginia and I am a Virginia resident, but I just went to Maryland dealership and bought a new car, dealer will submit paperwork to Virginia DMV and register the car with Virginia DMV. For every new car, there is temporary plate (just a piece of paper) before receiving DMV registration, and the temporary plate is from Maryland (valid till receiving Virginia license plate). With a temporary plate, then the car can go on road.

Old 08-22-2022, 02:05 AM

491 posts, read 393,899 times
Ok but the day you have VA tags on it you need to get the car a VA inspection.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:06 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
Do I need Virginia Car Safety Inspection and Emission Test?
I just went through this for a vehicle my employees needed who are working on a long term project in VA.

New manufactured vehicles do not have to be safety inspected for the first registration year and does not need a smog check for 4 years. The catch is that it still must have a safety inspection sticker and a smog exemption on file with DMV. This is done by the new vehicle dealer. Basically, if the new vehicle is new with a manufacture's safety certification (not a factory reject) , the safety inspector just slaps the sticker on the windshield and sends their form to VASP and DMV. Since your vehicle was purchased from a dealer in another state, unless they are also VA licensed dealer and a VA safety inspection station, you will need to take it into a dealer or other safety inspection station in VA for them to issue the sticker and file the copies with VASP and DMV. The exemption for the safety inspection just means the inspector does not actually perform a compete inspection, just verify that the VIN and manufacture's new vehicle safety certification matches.

As an FYI, you can be charged for this regardless since it is inspected (new vehicle's is just a paper inspection) and a sticker is issued. Some dealers will comp the cost themselves if you bought the vehicle from them. For me, the selling dealer shipped the vehicle to a VA dealer and they did the inspection as part of the delivery process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia