Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 10:23 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,661 times

Advertisements

Good lord, what an awful development, right next to the Bellvader Planation. It just completely ruins the entire countryside. My question, is the it/the end or is more sprawl in this corner of Spots right by Caroline due to continue, and how long has this been 'planned.'
Talk about a completely out of place community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 04:52 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
I guess next time there is a public zoning meeting prior to a development going in you'll be attending. People who own land want to make money when they sell and getting (as an example) $10 an acre for land that can be developed vs $1 to remain as farmland is a no brainer. Do you even live in the vicinity of Bellvader Plantation or does that represent your impression of what "countryside" looks like?

I frequently find that those who have recently moved into an area are the most vocal against new developments, they found their slice of paradise and don't want others changing that for them. Of course too often they are oblivious to the complaints against their sub-division when it was being planned and built.....

Old 09-30-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I guess next time there is a public zoning meeting prior to a development going in you'll be attending. People who own land want to make money when they sell and getting (as an example) $10 an acre for land that can be developed vs $1 to remain as farmland is a no brainer. Do you even live in the vicinity of Bellvader Plantation or does that represent your impression of what "countryside" looks like?

I frequently find that those who have recently moved into an area are the most vocal against new developments, they found their slice of paradise and don't want others changing that for them. Of course too often they are oblivious to the complaints against their sub-division when it was being planned and built.....
It looks awful, is horribly out of place, and destroys the countryside.
I really hope there are no more phases and this marks the end of this sprawl.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
It looks awful, is horribly out of place, and destroys the countryside.
I really hope there are no more phases and this marks the end of this sprawl.
It destroys your vision of the countryside but your not the one being asked to take the financial loss and not sell/develop your land. Odds are in favor that this development will grow if the demand remains, your option will be to attend the rezoning meetings if its held and voice your opinion.

People have been complaining for over a century about this and it will probally continue on through this century.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It destroys your vision of the countryside but your not the one being asked to take the financial loss and not sell/develop your land. Odds are in favor that this development will grow if the demand remains, your option will be to attend the rezoning meetings if its held and voice your opinion.

People have been complaining for over a century about this and it will probally continue on through this century.
So its justified, in your view?

Old 10-02-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So its justified, in your view?
Its the way the world works, would you be willing to take 10¢ on the dollar for your land so that the agrarian/undeveloped nature of the property could be retained? Would you be willing to buy acreage
that prevents you from developing it beyond a single home or farm?

Old 10-04-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Its the way the world works, would you be willing to take 10¢ on the dollar for your land so that the agrarian/undeveloped nature of the property could be retained? Would you be willing to buy acreage
that prevents you from developing it beyond a single home or farm?
This isn't binary.
This sprawl is awful, it is a bad design, a horrible location, that is out of place with the area.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:09 PM

Binary??? What is the right location? Looking at a map it appears to be well placed, convenient to commuter rail and shopping, there's an obvious demand. The problem is you don't like it so reserve your seat for the next zoning meeting so you can express your view.

Old 10-05-2022, 04:36 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Binary??? What is the right location? Looking at a map it appears to be well placed, convenient to commuter rail and shopping, there's an obvious demand. The problem is you don't like it so reserve your seat for the next zoning meeting so you can express your view.
You can reserve your seat at the next zoning meeting, but Spotsy County has always favored the developers over anything else, including rural preservation. It's very obvious when you compare development in Spotsy v King George or Caroline counties. Even Stafford lagged behind Spotsy until fairly recently.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:00 PM

319 posts, read 278,664 times
Good old Route 3 traffic. It's developing alright, apartments at the mall, baseball team, Route 1 congestion, 95 always a mess, I have a farm out in Orange County but do work in Fredericksburg and over development is killing the country side, heck we got a Taco Bell out in Locust Grove now and we made Wal-Mart move when they tried to do something right next to Wilderness Battlefield.

As far as those apartments go at the Town Center I'm not sure. I grew up in the 80's when malls were the rage but today they really are not so building apartments on top of 95, 3, and 1 traffic congestion just does not work plus they already have new apartments right next to the Fred Nats baseball field and Expo Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia