Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

hi! I'm looking for recommendations for cities and towns to check out in VA. any size place is fine as long as it has somewhat of a downtown area, homes under $300K are available, and leans blue (we don't need a super liberal spot, but we will not move to a town that's very decidedly red. boyfriend is black, son is mixed, so diversity is nice). we're looking at your state because it's not too far from friends/family in our native NC, but seems to offer more of the things we desire in a home state.

When are you moving? probably in about 2 years.
Where are you coming from? Mooresville, NC—Charlotte suburb.
Why are you moving? for what this area offers, we can't afford it anymore. we want more proximity to nature and art, and a more authentic, friendly culture.
Where will you be working? boyfriend is a mechanic (most experienced with BMWs and Subarus); I will have my B.S.B.A. and looking for work in public administration/nonprofits while earning my MLIS. boyfriend also has experience in the cannabis industry from WA.
Have you been here yet? no. we're planning a visit within the next year.

Will you buy or rent? hoping to buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? house, <$300K.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? basically married with one son. he's a year old and we plan not to have any more.
Do you prefer public or private schools? public. a charter/magnet option is nice, but not necessary.
Do you have pets? we have 2 large dogs. we don't want any more after they pass, at least not for a while.
Do you want or need a yard? yes.
Are you keeping a car? yes—likely 2 or 3 at a time, so a garage is nice.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? somewhere in between. I like living in a neighborhood that's within walking distance to a small downtown area (or just a cafe, nice park, and/or library), while my boyfriend prefers something more rural. I'd like recommendations for areas that have both so we can visit and decide which one suits us best.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife

thank you very much for any insight! again, while I'm taking suggestions for metro areas, I definitely also want to hear about smaller cities/towns that might offer what we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 09:52 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Two years out is way too soon to be asking such questions. Things and and do change a lot in the amount of time.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Two years out is way too soon to be asking such questions. Things and and do change a lot in the amount of time.
sure, but there's nothing wrong with preparing for possibilities. we know we want to leave this area, but we can't do that without visiting places. that's why I'm looking for recommendations for places to visit. if things work out differently, at least we got to explore another state.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:16 AM

253 posts, read 190,826 times
For a semi-rural area in VA that leans blue, that leaves you with the areas immediately outside of Charlottesville and those will probably not be below 300k. VA is trending red as it is.

Old 12-05-2022, 10:34 AM

21 posts, read 17,807 times
Maybe Albermarle County outside of Charlottesville (leans blue) or Prince Edward County outside of Farmville (leans slightly red but less red than surrounding areas because of college students). And that's it. Barring that, any of the smaller cities surrounded by a sea of red beauty may work for you.

The rest of Virginia, outside of the major urban areas, is more brightly red than they've ever been and redder than rural parts of North Carolina (which is increasingly attracting more of your preferred kind of voting people, especially WNC).

Old 12-05-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt of earth View Post
Maybe Albermarle County outside of Charlottesville (leans blue) or Prince Edward County outside of Farmville (leans slightly red but less red than surrounding areas because of college students). And that's it. Barring that, any of the smaller cities surrounded by a sea of red beauty may work for you.

The rest of Virginia, outside of the major urban areas, is more brightly red than they've ever been and redder than rural parts of North Carolina (which is increasingly attracting more of your preferred kind of voting people, especially WNC).
out of curiosity, which parts of rural NC are you referring to? just WNC? we've considered a move out there, but it's mostly too expensive for us. otherwise, the rural NC counties I'm familiar with are solidly red, economically depressed, and have very little going on by way of arts/culture.

I'll check out the VA counties you mentioned.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Look into parts of Maryland . . . Maybe the Annapolis area . . . Down toward Edgewater. Much bluer state.

You didn’t mention what type of “work” you’re seeking.

Old 12-05-2022, 06:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 6,047,094 times
Look SE from Charlottesville toward Palmyra, maybe Lake Monticello. Houses in Lake Monticello range from the mid-200s into the low 800s, nice community.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:23 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evi61893 View Post
hi! I'm looking for recommendations for cities and towns to check out in VA. any size place is fine as long as it has somewhat of a downtown area, homes under $300K are available, and leans blue (we don't need a super liberal spot, but we will not move to a town that's very decidedly red. boyfriend is black, son is mixed, so diversity is nice). we're looking at your state because it's not too far from friends/family in our native NC, but seems to offer more of the things we desire in a home state.

When are you moving? probably in about 2 years.
Where are you coming from? Mooresville, NC—Charlotte suburb.
Why are you moving? for what this area offers, we can't afford it anymore. we want more proximity to nature and art, and a more authentic, friendly culture.
Where will you be working? boyfriend is a mechanic (most experienced with BMWs and Subarus); I will have my B.S.B.A. and looking for work in public administration/nonprofits while earning my MLIS. boyfriend also has experience in the cannabis industry from WA.
Have you been here yet? no. we're planning a visit within the next year.

Will you buy or rent? hoping to buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? house, <$300K.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? basically married with one son. he's a year old and we plan not to have any more.
Do you prefer public or private schools? public. a charter/magnet option is nice, but not necessary.
Do you have pets? we have 2 large dogs. we don't want any more after they pass, at least not for a while.
Do you want or need a yard? yes.
Are you keeping a car? yes—likely 2 or 3 at a time, so a garage is nice.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? somewhere in between. I like living in a neighborhood that's within walking distance to a small downtown area (or just a cafe, nice park, and/or library), while my boyfriend prefers something more rural. I'd like recommendations for areas that have both so we can visit and decide which one suits us best.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife

thank you very much for any insight! again, while I'm taking suggestions for metro areas, I definitely also want to hear about smaller cities/towns that might offer what we're looking for.
Your budget is feasible near Floyd Virginia. Floyd is very small but has a library, cafes, grocery store, organic food store, farmers market, gas station, independent pharmacy, hotels/b&bs, and independent book and music stores. It is about 20 miles from Christiansburg, which has a lot of big box stores. Floyd is known for a famous blue grass festival. It is within commuting distance from the college towns of Blacksburg and Radford while still being decidedly rural but blue(ish) thanks to the decades-old artsy/counterculture vibe there. Very pretty countryside just outside of town.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:32 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times
I love Floyd (and have recommended it more than once) - but it sounds way too rural for what OP is asking IMHO!

I immediately thought of Roanoke and Lynchburg. Relatively affordable, with lots of options. The central city in each case tends to vote blue, while the county votes red, but you can really find the right place to live - and view the metro as a purple area.

Both are convenient to NC. Nice mid-size areas. Urban, suburban, semi-rural options abound.

Proximity to nature. Check. Check.

These two areas won't change THAT much in the next couple of years so there is nothing wrong with scoping it out. We spent two months in Roanoke to help scout things out...and did not move to the area until four years later!

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia