Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 08:30 PM

275 posts, read 420,295 times

Advertisements

It has been nearly half a century since I have had a Zero's Sub. It has been about that long since I have been outside of California except for a few trips of a few days.

I assume it is unlikely anyone here can compare what a Zero's Sub was like then compared to today but I wish I knew if they are. At least they are still in business. I do not know why I liked them but I did. I am in California. We have Subway and other sub sandwich chains but as best as I remember about Zero's Subs, none of them are as good as Zero's Subs, at least back then.

I was stationed at Fort Monroe in Hampton Roads. I had to pay a toll to take the bridge-tunnel to Norfolk. They lifted the toll about the time I left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 06:26 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
It has been nearly half a century since I have had a Zero's Sub. It has been about that long since I have been outside of California except for a few trips of a few days.

I assume it is unlikely anyone here can compare what a Zero's Sub was like then compared to today but I wish I knew if they are. At least they are still in business. I do not know why I liked them but I did. I am in California. We have Subway and other sub sandwich chains but as best as I remember about Zero's Subs, none of them are as good as Zero's Subs, at least back then.

I was stationed at Fort Monroe in Hampton Roads. I had to pay a toll to take the bridge-tunnel to Norfolk. They lifted the toll about the time I left.
Zero's in Staunton or Lynchburg are the closest locations to me, so I will be sure and try it some time.

Old 12-31-2022, 07:01 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
We have one here in the Richmond metro, I also remember them from my Navy days in Hampton Roads...

Old 01-16-2023, 08:13 AM

6,418 posts, read 1,427,778 times
I visit back to Virginia Beach and Norfolk regularly and see how it has changed, but Zero's sub is still there! I love the subs there, and have no Zero's where I live as well. My kids love Zero's too, and the last one we stopped at was on Granby street in Norfolk when going to the fireworks for July 4th at Ocean View Beach Park. Good times!

Old 03-05-2023, 06:57 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
We have one here in the Richmond metro, I also remember them from my Navy days in Hampton Roads...
Yeah, (southside) Hampton Roads is where they are most concentrated. They have a couple on the peninsula and up to Richmond. And some locations scattered outside of southeast Virginia.
There used to be one down in the Outer Banks, I remember they had this killer t-shirt I regret never getting. It had a famous photo of the Wright Bros taking off on a flight. But on the shirt design, the planks of their biplane were replaced with sub rolls.

The location on VB Blvd (@ Birchwood) is like a Zero's time capsule. They still have a pinball machine, and haven't altered it much since the 7os. Zero's is a cool chain.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:46 PM

I was last in Hampton Roads in 1976. Hampton Roads is where Fort Monroe is, right? I know there was no Zero's in Hampton Roads then. I could get a Zero's Sub only in Norfolk.

Old 03-06-2023, 07:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hobbs View Post
I was last in Hampton Roads in 1976. Hampton Roads is where Fort Monroe is, right? I know there was no Zero's in Hampton Roads then. I could get a Zero's Sub only in Norfolk.
Hi..
'Hampton Roads' is the whole area, not just Hampton. Back when you were at Monroe, the area was still typically called 'Tidewater'.

There were already Zero's in Virigina Beach in the 70s, not just Norfolk.. I'm not an expert on Zero's history but I've seen them refer to their origins in 1960s VA Beach. There used to be a Virginia Beach Zero's on the corner of 21st & Pacific, and when it closed I think the Virginian Pilot stated that had been Zero's earliest location

Old 03-06-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Hi..
'Hampton Roads' is the whole area, not just Hampton. Back when you were at Monroe, the area was still typically called 'Tidewater'.
I did not say Hampton, I said Hampton Roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
There were already Zero's in Virigina Beach in the 70s, not just Norfolk.
Sorry. I said Norfolk but I meant the whole area on the other side of the water. The important thing is that I had to go over and through the bridge / tunnel to get a Zero's and at that time there was a toll. The toll was lifted about the time I left.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:18 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Surprisingly, there is one here in Bristol, still surviving in an old gas station. I agree that it's better than Subway and most of the other fast food subs.

Old 03-08-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Surprisingly, there is one here in Bristol
Near the Birthplace of Country Music Museum? The Zero's probably survives by the museum and the freeways and highways in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia