Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 11:45 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburro View Post
Here's a few and others can augment:

Positive:
- abundace of professional services and stores
- Cherry Blossom Festival!
- The White House apple sauce/apple juice factory
- Historic sites
- The downtown (Loudoun street) pedestrian mall - shopping district

Not positive:
- growing way too fast - sprawl, poor (non-existent) planning - real estate prices inflating
- most bewildering downtown I have ever tried to navigate through, and that includes NYC
- Traffic, traffic, traffic. Don't try to get in/out of the Apple Blossom Mall unless you have an hour to waste
- Very working class; somewhat mundane
- High influx of "southern" immigrants (I'm not trying to start anything here; just trying to answer the question by stating a fact that in-migration from every source adds to the explosive growth). What the heck, the more the merrier.

Ok, a few points here. Winchester is not 'working class'. Its actually one of the nicest towns in the Shenandoah Valley. As far as Southern immigrants- I think you mean Mexicans? Well whats wrong with that?

Winchester has a large percentage of old Virginia bluebloods too. They send their kids to Powhatan school live on Washington St.

So the "working class" arguement is totally false.

Winchester is a mix of people.

But best of all- its home to Country Western Music Legend, Patsy Cline !!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 AM

28 posts, read 195,474 times
Smile I guess that helps.

Every comment seems to be in good coordinates with what we've noticed and observed from Winchester.
All in all, we consider Winchester a very homey city to live at. It's one of those cities you can call "hometown". The only thing we've noticed is that, with all do respect to the black community. How come we noticed an affluent black community patched in a not so good area of Winchester. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. The reason why i said this was because when we were driving down Amherst Ave. (from Winchester Hospital to the Public Library) right after we crossed the railroad track somewhere near the cemetery, we just noticed a somewhat rough neighborhood. We actually saw, in broad daylight, teenagers, a group of 4-5 gang fighting. Could anybody comment on that. Is there a racial thing in regards to that part of town. Please give us your honest comments or opinions.
Anyway, that's the only sad side of our visit to Winchester. All in all it is a very good town.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:26 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,790 times
Woodstock Lane, Kent Street, North Loudoun Street are areas to be avoided, unless of course the racially, drug induced violence is a plus.

Sanger, one street does not the entire city make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia