Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 06:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,313 times

Advertisements

Help with housing!! We are looking to buy a single family home, 3 br, 2 baths, hardwood floors, prefer brick, gas heating w/ washer/dryer with a max of $500,000, around 1500 sp. feet in a nice neighborhood. We would like bus or metro access. Husband will work in D.C. Our daughter will commute to your N. Va. Community College, so this will be a big traffic consideration. The church we would prefer is the Fairfax Circle Baptist Church. We will be traveling as much as possible back home to Char, S.C. What about parking (we will have 2 cars) & utility costs, too? We also have a cat. We will probably plan to sell our house, buy, hopefully resell with profit in 2010 when he retires. Please help. My husband needs to make a decision on the job offer VERY SOON!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 27,164 times
The housing wouldn't be really hard. I'm a Realtor so I just checked out that area for SFH's in that price range. Which NOVA campus is your daughter going to? Traffic will be somewhat bad everywhere you go during rush hour traffic to be honest with you. Contact me if you need any advice.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:19 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
i know you prefer a sfh but the west end area in alexandria has 3 br condos and townhomes with all you need for under that price range. you get all the metro access of being close to DC. the area also has bus lines going straight from condo buildings to NVCC-Alexandria and the pentagon where your husband can metro to DC. The traffic is a killer no matter where you live so it's smart you want metro access. You may be able to shave a few min off your commute if you know where to get on and off the freeway.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
Basically it all hinges upon what a reasonable commute would be for your husband and daughter. Finding a house close to Fairfax Baptist wont be a problem. Neither will parking, as you'll probably have a driveway, garage, or carport....or at the minimum some street parking in front of your house.

by the way..I like the Biblical reference in your name.....it's an interesting story.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks so much for the replies! This is the first time I have used such a forum. It is an awesome opportunity! The commute for my daughter would be a great concern. She does 4-lane (2 lanes both ways)interstate driving here and "back road" driving of about a 30 minute commute to her college, but avoids rush hour. I (her Mom) envision going with her to the college until she gets familiar with it (we both have some anxiety issues concerning directions and traffic. Your traffic will probably be a great challenge for us.)
I guess I need to add that driving to places like the stores and such will be a great challenge for me too. (I do not need to work outside the home) My husband can deal with it much better. He said he is willing to do up to a 45 minute commute to work if it will put the rest of us in a better position for driving or housing. His job will pay him to ride the Metro.

We don't necessarily have to live near the Fairfax Circle Baptist Church, though it would be convenient, but if the drive is far or too challenging, my daughter and I can commute with my husband at the wheel. The church would entail perhaps 2x a week whereas my daughter going to college would entail maybe 4x a week. (there could be another church that would meet our needs, but as of now, that is the one to which I am really drawn.) Also, she will need a part-time job, which will entail the traffic challenge as well. Currently she is working in retail at a small home town drug store, and would probably want to pursue a similiar job.

We are not "big city folks," but my husband has traveled extensively because of his job & is better able to deal with it.

Part of the reason for choosing my user name is because everthing I have ever known and is comfortable to me will have to be left behind when we move. This will be a MAJOR ADJUSTMENT for us, and our faith, like the faith of Abraham and Sarah, will be way we can take each step. We were born in very southern Char, S.C., have tons of family & friends; I have been to the same church all my life (though it has changed into a purpose-drivin contemporary church, thank God) The house I am in now was built by my husband and is only my 2nd home. I envisioned living in it and in my locale the rest of my life!

So now, you have more of a complete picture of what our needs are, and how thankful we are for any help from "way up there"!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Check out the area around Springfield, Franconia and West Springfield. Maybe venture out to Burke if you want more suburban and quiet. This will put you within a relatively short commute to NVCC's main campus in Annandale (figure 15-25 minutes), as well as it's campus in Alexandria, and there is Metro access via the Blue Line that should put your husband into work in DC in less than 45 minutes. I'm not exactly sure where Fairfax Bible Church is, but you're roughly 20 minutes from Fairfax in these areas. There are plenty of strip malls with retail in the area where your daughter could find part-time employment. There's a mall as well, Springfield Mall although it doesn't have the greatest reputation at the moment, but basically, any generic strip mall you pass (and there's lots) will have a handful of Help Wanted signs out front so that's of no concern.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 AM

Why does Springfield Mall have a bad reputation right now? Not as many stores? Problems with crime?

One thing that I have forgotten to ask about is the crime rates. What areas are not so good? One of the job considerations my husband has is Jacksonville, & we have heard that the crime & poverty is pretty bad.

I do know that there are good & bad sections anywhere you go. The same with where we live.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:54 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
There have been some problems with fights and I believe there was a stabbing there recently. Depending upon who you ask, there may or may not be a gang problem there.

Of all of the malls in the metro area, this is the last one I would have my daughter work at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia