Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 09:49 AM

285 posts, read 197,610 times

Advertisements

Did your child fail the sol? If so, how did you find about it? My child's teacher told her that she failed it and would need to retake it. This seems wrong, doesn't it? Shouldn't it be up to the parents to decide? My child was complaining about feeling sick because she doesn't want to take the test again because she's afraid she will fail it again. She's in third grade. Is this normal? I have no idea because she is my oldest child. Can I request that they do not force her to take the test again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,117 times
Where are you in Virginia? As far as the state level goes, the only SOLs the "count" for a student, in order to graduate are in high school. Find someone in your school division, a test coordinator either at your child's school or at the central admin level and ask this question. You will get accurate answers, not ones here. Don't just be a one time poster, that's a sure sign you aren't interested in responses. In other words, go to the source, not here for this information.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Thank you, I did, I'm waiting to hear back. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this. They had a group of third graders that were taken out of class for remediation to prepare for the sol retake. I wanted to ask the other parents of the students that were in my childs class that got pulled for remediation, but I don't know how to contact the parents.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:04 PM

I have not heard of elementary students retaking a failed SOL but I haven't been involved in this for a couple of years. From what I remember the only reason for elementary to retake an SOL is to help the schools overall passing rate for state accreditation and the schools report card. It should have no bearing on the individual student. If your child attends a school with a low passing rate, there may be pressure to get it up and obvious one way is to get more kids passing. As a parent, you should have the right to say no. Just my opinion.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:22 PM

Thanks, she doesn't have to. The school told her she did, but I called and talked to the teacher and she doesn't have to. The teacher said there was a misunderstanding. I don't know.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:41 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Hi,

My wife and I both teach in elementary schools. This year is the first that elementary students may retake tests. The state allows each district to decide if it will offer retakes. To be eligible the student's score has to fall in the 375-399 range. If this occurs then the school notifies the parents about the option to retake. The parents then decide if the student will retake the test.

We were well versed in this new retake option. Frankly I'm surprised there was confusion on the school's part. I hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:42 PM

45 posts, read 76,189 times
Out of curiosity, is your child a summer baby?

Old 06-21-2015, 01:00 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,082,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKate34 View Post
Thanks, she doesn't have to. The school told her she did, but I called and talked to the teacher and she doesn't have to. The teacher said there was a misunderstanding. I don't know.
So basically the SOL is optional from the start. If a failing score has zero meaning for the students taking the SOL, im surprised the test scores aren't lower. If there was some basis towards the grade, there might be a drive to do exceptionally well. I understand why SOLs exist, I'm just highlighting the obvious. Some areas of the SOL are region specific (VA history) so transfer students may not excel but most subjects are universal although different schools are at different paces.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
So basically the SOL is optional from the start. If a failing score has zero meaning for the students taking the SOL, im surprised the test scores aren't lower. If there was some basis towards the grade, there might be a drive to do exceptionally well. I understand why SOLs exist, I'm just highlighting the obvious. Some areas of the SOL are region specific (VA history) so transfer students may not excel but most subjects are universal although different schools are at different paces.

As to what meaning to students, it depends on the level. Elementary that may be true, but in high school they are considered end of course tests and certain ones must be passed in order to graduate. Who I feel sorry for is a transfer student coming in their junior or senior year. Still have to take all the required SOLs and pass them to graduate (or it used to be that way, I haven't been involved for a couple of years now).

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,276 times
Default 3rd Grade SOL's

I have a 3rd grader this year who moved back to the US from South Korea a few years ago (we are military). At the same time, my 2 teenagers went into 10th and 11th grade in a new high school.

My teenagers left VA schools prior to our going overseas, so they had a sound elementary school basis well versed in the VA Standards of Learning. They came back, had to take all of the VA SOL's here in high school (even ones they'd missed in 9-10th grades, and they passed with flying colors some even passed Advanced.

The issue I'm having is is with my 3rd grader who does not have that VA SOL basis, and he had a new teacher in 2nd grade who I know did not really SOL prep. So here it is, he takes his 3rd grade SOL's this year. He passed the math (he does well in math), and failed the Reading by a few points (which I just found out today....

Prior to testing, I authorized a retake if necessary. After testing, I asked his teacher how he did. She said scores would be sent home the last day of school and that he was fine (because if not I'd have received notice from the school by now).

Upon getting my kids records for my next military move (today), I look in the records to find that he failed the Reading SOL. I'm a bit perturbed because if this test is the big deal that they make it out to be all year through, why are parents not notified immediately upon a fail.

As an educator myself, and as one who knows that testing only proves what kids know based on what they've been exposed to (both at school and at home) and how proficient they may be, I know that schools in VA use these tests for funding. I understand that schools educating students from underprivileged groups socioeconomically typically don't do well as others, and I know why. We all know why.

Why do we stress kids out about these tests in elementary schools if they don't count. Or do students have to significantly fail in order for it to send up a red flag? Why are schools determined in one sense and less determined to talk about the scores and the outcomes in the end (unless the entire school is in jeopardy of not making its benchmark)?

I hate test scores, and I hate testing. As a college educator, I know that they indicate the capacity for some students to retain more information than others based on whatever their emotional, psychological predispositions may be. I don't think we need to stress kids and parents out with these. I think we need more realistic benchmark testing.

I've seen students get perfect scores on academic tests and that not amount to a hill of beans later on in life. In fact, my ADHD/Asperger's kid maxed out all of his SOL's in elementary school and middle school (and passed every single one in high school), but he struggled in college.

We really need to rethink testing in America and reorganize how we determine what our kids are capable of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia