Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:44 PM

10 posts, read 33,067 times

Advertisements

I moved away from Virginia last year and am missing it like crazy! I want to move back, but one thing I DON'T miss is the rebel flag thing. I was in Roanoke for 2 years, and it was absolutely rampant there. I lived in Norfolk for about 10 years, and it was much less so, but the traffic in the Hampton Roads area is out of hand, so I won't be going back there. (I have to say, however, that Norfolk is an outstanding city!)

I'm looking for advice on places to live in Virginia that are scenic, the traffic isn't too bad, but isn't rebel-flagish (you know what I mean). I love hiking and biking, botanical gardens, farmer's markets, artsy theaters, good wine and good food, and something fun to do on Friday night. I don't have children, I am not religious, and I am early-middle aged. I'm a science teacher so I can move anywhere - any opinions on where I might fit in? Any advice would certainly be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,995 times
How about Charlottesville? It seems to fit all of your criteria. And personally, I would love to live there.
Charlottesville, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,193,944 times
Charlottesville is a good choice, although affordability would remain a challenge for a science teacher. If you can find a home in the C'ville area that you can afford and are pleased with then it would certainly be a good choice.

We live in the Roanoke area, which needs teachers, and the area is very scenic. I have several good friends who are teachers in this area and they're very happy. You can find a very affordable gorgeous home with character in the Grandin Village area of Roanoke, for example, and be a short walk to most of what you seek. For the rest, you'd be a short drive away.

Roanoke isn't in the bible belt nor is it rebel-centric, but it isn't the intellectual mecca of Charlottesville. Still, I'm a (gasp!) intellectual culture-loving environmentally-sensitive athiest originally from the green mountains of Vermont, and I'm very happy with the Roanoke area.

Sean

Old 10-17-2008, 07:00 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachesci View Post
I moved away from Virginia last year and am missing it like crazy! I want to move back, but one thing I DON'T miss is the rebel flag thing. I was in Roanoke for 2 years, and it was absolutely rampant there. I lived in Norfolk for about 10 years, and it was much less so, but the traffic in the Hampton Roads area is out of hand, so I won't be going back there. (I have to say, however, that Norfolk is an outstanding city!)

I'm looking for advice on places to live in Virginia that are scenic, the traffic isn't too bad, but isn't rebel-flagish (you know what I mean). I love hiking and biking, botanical gardens, farmer's markets, artsy theaters, good wine and good food, and something fun to do on Friday night. I don't have children, I am not religious, and I am early-middle aged. I'm a science teacher so I can move anywhere - any opinions on where I might fit in? Any advice would certainly be appreciated!
Richmond?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,305,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Richmond?
I'm hoping that was a joke...

Charlottesville is probably your best bet, though the surrounding county/counties still have a fair amount of Confederate Flag toting...

Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,321,323 times
Why would that be a joke? The city has multiple farmer's markets, limited congestion for a city its size, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens and Maymont, hiking and biking in the James River Park System with convenient access to the mountains for more, plenty of artsy theaters to choose from (both film and on stage) and several Arts Walk type events throughout the month, and some great local restaurants to choose from. I wouldn't suggest the vinyl siding mcmansions of the suburbs, but rather a city neighborhood or some of the older suburbs. In addition there are several very strong school systems in the area.

I'd be more than happy to elaborate more on some of the things mentioned if the OP is interested.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,305,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Why would that be a joke? The city has multiple farmer's markets, limited congestion for a city its size, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens and Maymont, hiking and biking in the James River Park System with convenient access to the mountains for more, plenty of artsy theaters to choose from (both film and on stage) and several Arts Walk type events throughout the month, and some great local restaurants to choose from. I wouldn't suggest the vinyl siding mcmansions of the suburbs, but rather a city neighborhood or some of the older suburbs. In addition there are several very strong school systems in the area.

I'd be more than happy to elaborate more on some of the things mentioned if the OP is interested.
You're suggesting that a poster who specifically wants to avoid the "Rebel Flag Thing" move to the former capital of the Confederacy...

You don't see how that might be a little bit ironic???

Old 10-23-2008, 09:02 AM

192 posts, read 632,069 times
You just described Roanoke - our fair city sounds perfect for you! We also have the amazing Smith Mtn Lake 45 minutes away. Please let me know if you'd like further info! I love Richmond - yet we have mountain views from our downtown (everywhere actually) and nothing is too far away to have it be a hindrance in deciding whether to attend a function, or club, or restaurant - or the lake. We also have many greenways, and the blue ridge parkway is accessible within 10 minutes from my home in the city. my husband and I see confederate flags so seldom that we usually comment on them - no, they're not ALL gone, but I don't believe this would impact your life. We've grown and progressed, you need to see roanoke now!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM

192 posts, read 632,069 times
Sorry - I became carried away, you know of our mtn views etc. - but sounds like you haven't been here in a while - so check us out once again!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 94,179 times
You could try historic Remington which is in Northern VA (NOVA). Click here (http://flickr.com/photos/derami/sets/72157606201754318/ - broken link) for more images.

Last edited by halibutt; 10-23-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: add "historic "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia