Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 PM

9 posts, read 34,491 times

Advertisements

I am considering to moving to Winchester from Texas.

Besides the cost of living, can anyone advise on what to expect?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 05:32 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac784 View Post
I am considering to moving to Winchester from Texas.

Besides the cost of living, can anyone advise on what to expect?

thanks!
Winchester has a lot of charm and character to it and around it some of the most beautiful views in all of Virginia.

You'll find the people of Winchester to be right friendly.

Because you'll be in higher elevation, you can expect more snow. Winchester and the valley get a bit more snow than the rest of Virginia. But its nothing compared to what they get in the northeast.

Winchester has a nice old town/downtown area with restaurants and shops all around the courthouse.

Shenandoah University is also located in Winchester. They have an Apple Blossom Festival each May. Mary Tyler Moore was grand marshall one year. I think it was 1993.

It also is steeped in history since its the oldest town west of the blue ridge, and exchanged hands 72 times during the war between the states.

And if you're a Country Music Enthusiast- Winchester happens to be the home of Country Music Legend, Patsy Cline !!

Old 02-20-2007, 09:12 AM

689 posts, read 1,615,970 times
Well, this year it's been really cold! But as you know, the whole country has had weird weather! Without more specifics, there's a small but diverse community here. Shenandoah U. brings in a more diverse population every year. It's a very manageable size, and you've got decent shopping opportunities and good dining. Schools are pretty good. Strong churches. The Valley continues to grow as people try to escape northern VA's outrageous prices and congestion. And it's nice to be an hour and 15 minutes from DC. Any specifics you're looking for?

Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 AM

i know that housing is going to be a lot more expensive there than here so that is probably the biggest downfall. what about traffic in winchester itself? i'm near houston tx so i've dealt w/traffic but what is it like in winchester? i've tried searing for various pics of winchester but i can't find that many. any suggestions? thanks!!!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:34 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac784 View Post
i know that housing is going to be a lot more expensive there than here so that is probably the biggest downfall. what about traffic in winchester itself? i'm near houston tx so i've dealt w/traffic but what is it like in winchester? i've tried searing for various pics of winchester but i can't find that many. any suggestions? thanks!!!

Honestly speaking, I just came back from another scouting mission in that area and went to Winchester this Saturday to have a look around and found the traffic annoying. Charlottesville is the same way.

It seems that the population has outgrown the roads a bit and I found it frustrating driving around town.

That said it is a beautiful town that manages to combine historic charm with modern convenience almost perfectly.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 AM

The traffic here is frustrating, but absolutely nothing like a major city. The roads have not grown to address the influx of people from northern VA, but even so, it takes no more than 15-20 minutes to get anywhere. Local government is working to address traffic, but change never comes quickly.

My guess is that coming from Houston your main shock will be cultural. This a much smaller area, and not at all metropolitan. Of course, Winchester is a very reasonable drive from DC, but if you like to have a lot of choices for shopping and dining right at your fingertips, it will be different. We have several outstanding local (non-chain) restaurants, from French to Thai to Indian to an Irish pub, but your selections will just be more limited.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 AM

49 posts, read 138,548 times
wwhen I was a kid in mclean way back in 1960s rt 7 going out to wincherter was nothing bay cows and feilds ,tysons coner was nothing but a cross roads and nothing was out there ,what a total trip to think what it is today .
Each town of yester year was sas imple place where you you buy a house and live just 30 -40 mins outside dc and have a affordable life ,and like everywhere else in this place called the USA those days are gone .So good luck to you ,check it out ,ps go and see harpers farry it just down the road .

Old 03-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Default pictures of winchester?

thanx for all of the info.... does anyone have any pics of winchester or know a good site to where i can find some? thanx again.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:25 PM

is the cost of living in winchester more expensive??

Old 03-06-2007, 08:53 AM

More expensive as compared to what? It's slightly less than NoVA, but comparable to, say, Richmond, which is a much larger city. Much higher than rural VA, like Southwest, or Lynchburg area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia