Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Location: East of Richmond, betweem the Mattaponi and Rappahannock Rivers
21 posts, read 58,375 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Wanting to take a trip to south west Va and experience the culture of the coal mine communities and the people in the area. I would be driving from Richmond. Any good routes, places to see? I recently heard of story of a young girl who was murdered and raped by a family member a year ago...buried on top of a mountain in Wise County (I think). Anyone know of this story. I hear that it takes over an hour to travel to the top. Overall, just want to see and feel the culture of the true mountain people, not just the trourist areas. Can anyone direct me? Thinking of Buchanan County or Wise...any places in particular? (culturally competent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
If you visit Wise County, Dickinson County, and Buchanon County you will get a true feel for the mountain/coal mining culture. Norton, Wise, Pound, Appalachia, Clinchco, Clintwood, Haysi and everything in between are all small coalmining towns. I have a half brother and a nephew who are coal miners and when they took me for a tour of some of the original towns/settlements which were owned by the coal mining companies I was in for culture shock. I can't remember which small town it was, but there is a 2-lane road we were driving down and saw an effigy hanging by a rope around its neck over the road from a tree branch. I don't know if it is meant as a warning for the union organizers or the coal mining executives or those who want to do away with coal mining...but it is very spooky looking. I have family all over those parts and they are hard-working, friendly people who stick together and view outsiders with suspicion at first....until they figure out that you're not there to make fun, try to change their ways, gawk at poverty, etc. Once you're "in", you can't ask for nicer, more compassionate, generous and helpful people who have a lot of pride.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
If you visit Wise County, Dickinson County, and Buchanon County you will get a true feel for the mountain/coal mining culture. Norton, Wise, Pound, Appalachia, Clinchco, Clintwood, Haysi and everything in between are all small coalmining towns. I have a half brother and a nephew who are coal miners and when they took me for a tour of some of the original towns/settlements which were owned by the coal mining companies I was in for culture shock. I can't remember which small town it was, but there is a 2-lane road we were driving down and saw an effigy hanging by a rope around its neck over the road from a tree branch. I don't know if it is meant as a warning for the union organizers or the coal mining executives or those who want to do away with coal mining...but it is very spooky looking. I have family all over those parts and they are hard-working, friendly people who stick together and view outsiders with suspicion at first....until they figure out that you're not there to make fun, try to change their ways, gawk at poverty, etc. Once you're "in", you can't ask for nicer, more compassionate, generous and helpful people who have a lot of pride.

Thank you for this post. Very helpful. I am looking forward to the trip. I wish you could find out the name of that two lane road. Very interesting. I come from an area in VA where we notice the "outsiders" and I hear those comments from time to time about "the come heres." I hope to visit this area soon. I am looking for a real taste of the area. Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
You can go on a guided tour of the Pocahontas Exhibition Mine: see Coalwood, West Virginia Web Site This is also the same town where the autobiography "Rocket Boys" / Hollywood movie "October Sky" was based - a most inspirational story. Some sights to consider visiting in southwest Virginia include: Roanoke: museum of transportation. Smith Mountain Lake: largest lake in Va; home to the Booker T. Washington cabin/ park service site. Bedford: National D-Day W.W.2 memorial. Abingdon: the historic Barter Theater. Galax: antique shops, bluegrass concerts at "Rex" Theater. Lexington: beautiful college campuses, and General Lee's tomb. Mount Airy: Andy Griffith show souvenir shops and museum. Martinsville: Va. state science museum.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msouth83 View Post
Thank you for this post. Very helpful. I am looking forward to the trip. I wish you could find out the name of that two lane road. Very interesting. I come from an area in VA where we notice the "outsiders" and I hear those comments from time to time about "the come heres." I hope to visit this area soon. I am looking for a real taste of the area. Thanks again for your help.
Have you read any of Silas House's books about life in coal mining communities? He writes about Eastern Kentucky, which is just minutes away from the coal regions of VA. If you're interested, I'll get you the titles.

I too am facinated with the cultures of various regions, including the coal mining regions. I have an uncle who wrote a song titled, "He Raised Seven Boys on a Coal Miner's Pay" about his father (my grandfather) and it pretty much sums up the life of a coal miner. Proud, hardworking, strong, resourceful.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:16 PM

MSouth83: The locals call that tree the "Hanging Tree" and it is on a road just outside the town of Appalachia. I sent an e-mail to someone who knows where it is, so if I find out the name of the road it's on, I'll let you know.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msouth83 View Post
Ok, I was told the "hanging tree' might be on Calahan Rd. just in or just outside of the town of Appalachia. Let us know how your trip goes.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Have you read any of Silas House's books about life in coal mining communities? He writes about Eastern Kentucky, which is just minutes away from the coal regions of VA. If you're interested, I'll get you the titles.

I too am facinated with the cultures of various regions, including the coal mining regions. I have an uncle who wrote a song titled, "He Raised Seven Boys on a Coal Miner's Pay" about his father (my grandfather) and it pretty much sums up the life of a coal miner. Proud, hardworking, strong, resourceful.
Reminds me of singer Loretta Lynn's memoir of eastern Kentucky -- how as late as about 1950, she had never seen a car in her life, until her fiance Doolittle came to visit her in a jeep. She never saw a flush toilet until about 1960 while visiting the county seat, Pineville. In the book's opening pages, she recounts how in her home village of Butcher Hollow, the locals refused to have their road paved, because this would mean having to buy horseshoes, and they couldn't afford horseshoes. She claims not a soul there could read. Unbelievable.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 PM

It is amazing that folks lived like this as early as the 1950's and even '60's. I was equally as shocked when I taught out on some of the rural, isolated sea islands of South Carolina to find people living in the same conditions. But you know what? They were happy! Once big land developers started moving in and building subdivisions and Walmarts, the crime, gangs, and drugs infilitrated these once, sleepy and quiet areas. This has happened both in isolated Appalachian regions and the sea islands....tainted by "civilization". This is my take on it anyway. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone....or....if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Amazing posts...thank you all. I am very interested in visting all of these areas. I will be taking the trip with my father (a country boy at heart) after Christmas. Will let you all know how its goes. I am so facinated with this culture I must have lived it in another life. I am drawn to this community for some reason...I will let you know why when I get back. I visited West Va a few years ago but I didn't get the feel of the communities like I wanted too. I will look into the areas listed above and the stories i hear....so many beautifull people that are so misunderstood. I love "tainted by civilization" and leaving well enough alone...I hear that from so many in my own home town beside the old indian reservations and the rappahannock...mattaponi....
thank You all...keep pointing me in the direction of the non-tourist areas of SWV. I would love to visit the road outside of applacia...this is town in what county????????Let me know. Did anyone hear of the story last year about this child buried the mountain. I heard this story from a lady that works at peopleinc. She is advocate and works out of buchanan county. Met her at a meeting in charlotteville. Awesome lady. anyway...keep it comn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia