Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 09:25 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,227 times

Advertisements

I was just talking about Northern VA.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 43,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
Doesn't Fairfax have the largest gang population in NOVA too?
Since Fairfax has over 1 MILLION people, without a doubt some of those will be gang members. @@<---eyeroll

Old 11-20-2006, 10:11 AM

True, but I believe they have the highest percent of the population associated with a gang or some other sort of organized crime.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:30 PM

11 posts, read 43,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
True, but I believe they have the highest percent of the population associated with a gang or some other sort of organized crime.

"Highest percent of the population associated with a gang" (could you please post a link to your source for this information) but as compared to what?

Fairfax County has a very low crime rate for a population of over a million residents.

"Despite all of the growth, a Fairfax County resident is less likely to be the victim of either a violent crime or a property crime today than during the three previous decades. As of 2004, the violent crime rate was 44 percent lower than it was in 1980 and the property crime rate was 61 percent lower."
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/news/2006/069.htm

"Fairfax County, Virginia, a very affluent suburban enclave of the nation's capital with 1,041,200 residents, had the lowest homicide rate of any jurisdiction. In 2004, Fairfax County's homicide rate was reported at 0.3 homicides per 100,000 persons, 94.5% below the national average and 1/145 of Baltimore's homicide rate."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States

Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 PM

I wish I could post a link to that information but I was just relaying what was told to me by a fairfax police officer. I hope I am wrong...it's not a personal attack on you or any of the other members of this board. Also, if you go back to what I said, you'll see that I was comparing it to the rest of Northern VA. Not the rest of the nation or Baltimore. So relax. I can tell you that having gone to a Fairfax County high school and graduated not too long ago that the gang population was present every day of school. We knew who they were, what they did and where not to go. When our parents or teachers asked us about it, we said what every teenage kid would have said..."I don't know...." I did find a link that you may find interesting... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7244879/site/newsweek/ (broken link)
Also, your stats are spot on, but that doesn't prove that gangs don't exist there. Here's how it was explained to me: "Like dogs, gangs don't "blank" where they eat." Which explains why the violence doesn't occur in Fairfax County. Most of their "business" in in the district or MD.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:41 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
David, you make no sense with the "don't *blank* where they eat" comment. Most gang violence occurs in inner city ghettos where most of the gang members also live, work, and play.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,294,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post

I agree that Page County is a horrible place. I would also add Shenandoah County to that list for the sheer rudeness of the people there.
Living nearby to both now, my impressions haven't been anything of the sort, but then I don't live in either one. I'd be less familiar with Page however, so I'll take y'alls word with a grain of salt on that one. As far as Shenandoah, I can't speak for the entire county, but as for the town of Strasburg in Northern Shenandoah County we have met nothing but the nicest people there and have nothing but positives to say, and I'll back it up by saying that most likely our final decision on where to buy will be IN Strasburg. As for Woodstock, Edinburg and such, I can't really say so maybe the rest of the county is whacky.... I don't know.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM

10 posts, read 61,471 times
Well, Fairfax County definitely has the best school systems in the state. Yes, traffic has become horrible as a result of population growth and development, housing prices and taxes are outrageous.

I would not choose to live in any other county with the exception of Loudoun. I would never dream of living in some areas of the county such as Bailey's Cross Roads, Rte 1, etc. But, for most part the county is pretty safe and there's LOTS to do.

However, I have to admit to wanting to leave for North Carolina as many of my friends and family members have relocated over the last 2 years in pursuit of better standard of living, cheaper housing, etc.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times
Quote:
Well, Fairfax County definitely has the best school systems in the state.
Fairfax County is one of the wealthiest and most educated counties in Virginia, so, big shocker, kids there perform pretty well. But that shouldn't imply it is the _best_ school system in the state. By whose measure? By what metrics? I think it's more fair to say that Fairfax County has a great school system. And there are great schools to be found throughout Virginia.

Sean

Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM

699 posts, read 2,236,555 times
I'm not sure, but I thought I read somewhere that Fairfax County had the highest standardized test scores for public schools in the state and one of the tops in the country?

But, there are definitely other great school systems in Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia