Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,433,651 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone has anything to say bout this area, who actually lives there or has visited this area...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 49,226 times
Default Clifton Forge

Hi Pittsburgh PA Native,
I'm Cari. I live in Roanoke, but I work in Botetourt County and have many customers that live in and around Clifton Forge. My husband grew up around the Clifton Forge area. His brothers and their families live there now. I have several co-workers who live in Clifton Forge as well. In my opinion, it's a small, family friendly little town. It's like they cut it right out of 1950 something and froze it in time. :-) OK, maybe it's not that antiquated, but it's got a good old fashioned feel to it. I'm guessing a lot of folks don't bother to lock their doors there. Let me know if you have some specific questions about the town. I'll ask my husband and let you know what he has to say about it.

P.S. Are you by chance a Steelers fan? My hubby and I are big Eagles fans. If you're considering moving to this area there's a decent following of the Steelers here. Roanoke has a Steelers fan club and they all congregate to watch the games at local pubs/restaurants. We have not found quite as many Eagles fans.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Thanks!

Well, this is definetly some good news here, all the way around! Sounds like paradise to us here! Yes, he is an avid fan of the Steelers, always will be! We are very laid back, and friendly ourselves here...We may get an offer tonight, but if its meant to be, it will work out, if not, then we can keep searching!

How are home prices? We do not want a new home, we much rather buy something older, with charm, but not too much of a fixer upper! Cosmetic defects would be fine with us. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 AM

10 posts, read 49,226 times
Default Clifton Forge VA

Hi again,
If you don't mind my asking, where are you living now? Are you in VA already?
Home prices in Clifton Forge are very affordable. I think there's a lot out there that is easily under $125,000 to 150,000. (That may even be an estimate on the high side.) There are lots of old homes, character galore! I can give you some specifics about home prices in this area and even refer you to some professional real estate help in Clifton Forge if you're interested. Feel free to send me a private message with your email address and contact info.

It's good to talk to you. Good luck on getting that offer for your house tonight. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :-)

You're right, if it's meant to be it will work out and if it's not, God's got something else planned for you!

Take Care,
Cari

Old 04-11-2007, 11:20 AM

I am trying to see it that way, Cari. I think whoever is up there or out there has spared me so much grief, has kept me alive and well all these years, that I just have to trust whatever our fates may be maybe. Right now we are in Williamsburg and we hate it here, its growing fast, you can't get a nice home in safe area under 200 grand or even really under 230 or so. We have a retirement to save for, college too, so we can't spend alot on housing costs, and we prefer that I be a stay at home mom, for too many reasons to count here...it has always worked out so well in all respects, till we moved here

I know no place is perfect, I know that. But I just want a nice decent place to live that will not make us so poor and so vulnerable to drug dealers and etc. Long story, but anyhow thanks! We are expecting a job offer...we have yet to put our home on the market...I do believe since there is so little housing here for under 250 here, that it will sell fast, I been told not to worry, but I do!

I had alot of offers when I was going to sell it on my own, had a huge outpour of interest infact, but we had no other suitable home in the area that we could afford that would not land us back into the same situation, so we are doing what many do here, found out the last three owners of the home, left under a year for the same exact reasons for the neighbors here, so we are leaving to find someplace better, safer for our family to live.

I might just need a realtor and if we do, I will pm ya! Thanks so much!!! I appreciate your help, blessings to you and yours
PPN

Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM

213 posts, read 1,020,432 times
Is this the area you meant to ask about when you posted "pigeon ford" and I thought you meant pigeon forge, tn? You replied you thought there was one in Va - i don't think so, but certainly there is a Cliftion Forge - I didn't make the leap from "pigeon ford" to "clifton forge".

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM

39 posts, read 199,305 times
Default Clifton Forge

I can add that Clifton Forge provides easy access to the lovely and historic town of Lexington, which is home to both Washington & Lee University and VMI. The ride over the Alleghenys on I-64 is extremely scenic and with very little traffic. Also, you can take a pleasant drive south on US 220 to the Roanoke Valley, with a population of around 250,000. Everything you'll need can be found there. You'll find mostly mountain land for sale around Clifton Forge, must less expensive than either Roanoke or Lexington. Covington, just up the road, is a somewhat larger town with more amenities. Clifton Forge is very close to Douthat State Park which offers great hiking and also has a small lake. The James River is a popular canoeing and kayaking destination. If it's a rural enivironment you are seeking but not too far from civilization, Clifton Forge could work. There is also a community college there.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Forgive me WF...I made a mistake here.

Bmacdo...Thanks so much! We had already deceided to accept this offer and we are shocked at how beautiful the area and homes are for such low prices!!! We will be checking out both Covington, Clifton Forge and Allegheny countys.

We love rural areas, mountains and the laid back kind of atmosphere this area offers here. It is just a matter of selling our home, find another and do everything else in between here, it will be a busy summer for sure here!

I have not considered Lexington and I will investigate the demographics and cost of living here as well, we are also getting a huge pay raise in salary by moving here as well, so we have more options than ever before. No longer will we be stuck in the worst part of town cause of lack of affordable housing in a safe area!

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by Stonecoldharbours; 04-12-2007 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Cari...I sent you an email, hope you had a good day! Talk to you soon here.

BM...out of the three towns mentioned, which one do you think most of? If you do not mind me asking....Thanks!

Gotta run...thanks again for so much help!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 AM

39 posts, read 199,305 times
Default Lexington

Lexington is hands down the nicest of the 3 places, but at a price. Your money won't go near as far in Lexington or Rockbridge County as it will in Clifton Forge. The Virginia Horse Center is located in Lexington as well as the 2 colleges. The place has been recently discovered as a retirement destination and prices are climbing. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer little town anywhere. There is much more of a white collar demographic in Lexington than in C.F. due to the colleges, the retirees and various artistic types who have moved from other areas.

If it were me, I'd probably look for some land just over the mountains toward Clifton Forge, around the area known as Longdale Furnace. This would put you pretty much in between the two towns in an area where land is affordable. North Mountain, which is right there, has a trail network and the views from the summit toward the Shenandoah Valley are extraordinary. On the Lexington side of North Mountain is Lake Robertson, another nice loop trail and a small lake for kayaking or canoeing. In Lexington you'll find the Chessie Trail which follows the Maury River for miles along what used to be railroad tracks. I would suggest you spend some time in Lexington before committing to Clifton Forge as a place to live. Some people who work at the Community College in C.F. commute from Lexington or Rockbridge County. If you can afford it, Rockbridge would probably suit you better. Of the two, Lexington is vastly more sophisticated and with more diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia