Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 PM

13 posts, read 36,884 times

Advertisements

Its funny how a year ago I wanted info on Blackstone because I was relocating due to work, now I know that I should have rented someplace else, with more shops, more activities, less expensive restaurants. Blackstone is a dead boring town with no growing commerce. Stay OUT. See what the hipocrits at the Chamber of Commerce are going to do, when Fort Pickett moves again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,631 times
Dinzzy -

Obviously you did not have a good experience in Blackstone. Luckily it sounds as if you rented and will be able to pull up stakes without too much difficulty.

In all fairness to the town and Chamber however, please make sure others on the forum know that Fort Pickett itself is not moving, nor is it closing. From what has been reported in both The Richnond Times-Dispatch and The Courier-Record, the Virginia Department of Military Affairs is requesting to relocate their headquarters from Fort Pickett to a facility at Sandston. Please also make sure you note for the readers that Blackstone, Nottoway County, and many of the surrounding counties (pretty sure Amelia, Lunenburg, Dinwiddie and maybe Brunswick and Prince Edward) are also going on record as opposing the move.

Another important piece of the puzzle is that the facility the DMA would like to locate to has not even been constructed yet. They are requesting that the $30 million facility be built with funds allocated from the federal government. So in a time of belt-tightening for the rest of the country, the DMA is asking for money to build a facility that is not needed.

I hope you have better luck with your next move.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 14,226 times
Exclamation Avoid blackstone

It's no wonder that the VA Dept of Military Affairs wants to get out of Blackstone, The town is full of inbred dummies. If you've ever lived in Blackstone, but you're not "from there", you'd understand. A realtor assuring someone that they'd be welcome is really funny. Sure, that realtor would be very friendly until they get your money, then watch them stab you in the back just like the rest of Blackstone.
Just to give you a hint of what the "Powers that be" are like there, they have refused to share water with the rest of the county for years. Piggy, Piggy, Piggy. Ask a resident of any other town in the area what THEY think of Blackstone. You'll get an earfull. Corruption, drugs, unsolved murders, on and on and on....

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM

TRobin -

If you look at my post on page 2 of this thread, I don't think I ever mentioned whether or not the poster would be "welcomed". I gave an accurate portrayal of my life growing up in Blackstone during the '70s and '80s, and reasons why I chose not to return there.

And as to the water issue, it is my understanding that back in the '90s, the county voters voted down a water authority, which would have solved many of the water problems facing some of the county residents. It is also my understanding that the town of Blackstone has always said they would come to the table to discuss a pipeline and selling the water to the other county towns, however that has not come to fruition.

And please know that I was not "born" in Blackstone, but have a family that located there when I was in elementary school, but when you become active in any community through volunteering and participation, the community will welcome you back. And that applies no matter where you end up in life.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,000 times
Looking for information on the meteor strike in 1922 at a field close to blackstone, va.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 AM

Contact the editor of the local paper, The Courier Record. They may be able to help.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,727 times
I've lived in Blackstone now for a year, before I lived in the city of Richmond for 30+ years. I wouldn't trade one second of this past year to go back to Richmond. I love that the police are out watching for speeders, I love that when you go somewhere people say your name, I love that when I go into a store I don't have to wait hours at a time to be checked out, and most of all I love the privacy. People can say what they will about Blackstone Va, however there is a reason there isn't a lot of crime here, its a close knit community, we all look out for one another, people care about others here no matter what race you are or how less or how much money you have.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Well, latest news. Fort Pickett HQ's are not moving only the HR office. The water is nasty, I filter my water. So far most of the people that are not racist are really nice, the racist ones like some shop owners are nasty people. I was insulted by a know merchant. Hospitals, shopping centers, good Drs. are 40 to 45 minutes away. I do love the country calm living, I hate the fact that if you go @26 miles on main street they will give you a ticket, or if you stop for 2 second @ stop sign @ 11:30 pm when no one in town is awake, a police officer will stop you.

Blackstone is not that bad if you want to move away from the city, but if you like to do things and go out plus have a little bad health, don't move here.

BTW. The XMAS PARADE is the funniest thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something that out -of- towners need to experienced.

Last edited by Dinzzy; 10-19-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,325 times
The townspeople right now, (including the long-time newspaper editor/ Mayor), are resisting the idea of adding FLUORIDE to the town water supply, despite pleadings from the local Dentist (even though he is a native with a local family name).

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Flouride, I think it needs clorine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its nasty yellow/brownish water. Yuck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia