Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2006, 01:17 PM

18 posts, read 82,560 times

Advertisements

Hi all...I'm considering a govt transfer from the Phoenix, AZ area to a job in the Fairfax, VA (Merrifield) area. I've visited the area (beautiful!)...but have never lived anywhere outside of Phoenix-Metro. Am I crazy for such a consideration??? I very much desire a change in my environment (4-seasons, etc.). I realize the traffic is horrible there...but is it as bad if I live/work outside of the beltway?? Which areas are best for a family?? I'm considering Fairfax, Manassas, Vienna, Herndon, Woodbridge, Reston...I am also in dire need of getting my spouse a Mgmt job there - although I've heard employment in Northern VA/DC is plentiful! Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?? I have two young children (1st & 4th grade)...so good schools and sports programs are a must! Thanks all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 55,356 times
Default Re: Move from AZ to VA

Northern Va is a very happenin' place. I used to live in Centreville which is further out from DC near Dulles. It was a very nice place to live where you didn't feel like you're IN the city w/all the traffic issues. I also know that Reston is nice. It's very very expensive in NOVA (Northern VA) but there's a lot to do and you can't beat Fairfax Co. School District (I formerly taught 1st grade there).

Good Luck
*The seasons are awesome in VA.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:22 AM

18 posts, read 82,560 times
Default Moving to VA

Thanks Teachem...I've seen a lot more affordable housing in Centerville...and that was another place I was considering. Do you (or anyone out there) know anything about the best lakes for watersports (skiing, fishing, etc). Thanks so much!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 AM

24 posts, read 127,262 times
Smile move from Phoenix to VA

I lived in Phoenix from 1989 to 1998 and now live in Richmond VA. Although the white southerners I have been meeting are not very hospitable (I am from NYC), the natural beauty here in VA is awesome!! I am so glad to be back in a state that has the "4" seasons. I found the climate in Phoenix to be plain boring - heat and sun almost every day. The summers here are hot and humid but a million times more tolerable than the miserable summers in Phoenix.

If you can afford to move to Northern VA go for it. It is more upscale than Richmond. Many of the suberbs here are like small "hick" towns. Northern Va is also close to Washington DC.

Wish you success with your move.

NYCGIRL

Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy67
Thanks Teachem...I've seen a lot more affordable housing in Centerville...and that was another place I was considering. Do you (or anyone out there) know anything about the best lakes for watersports (skiing, fishing, etc). Thanks so much!
Most lakes in NoVA are not true watersports lakes. You can fish, but generally from the shore or with an electric motor only. Burke Lake is an example. Its the Muskie spawning pond for Virginia, and reportadly has bass. We've never landed a bass there But its full of hungry cat. The Occoquan Resevior is bigger, but limitied to under 10hp gas motors. There are some other small fishing lakes around the area too. Do a google for Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority or the Fairfax County Parks for lists of small lakes.

For lake waterskiing, you will have to head to Lake Anna (south of Fredericksburg) or Deep Creek Lake in MD (~3 hours from NoVA). But much closer is the Potomac. I've never actually been out on the Potomac, but I see people with lots of ski boats putting in at Pohick Bay and going out of the Occoquan marinas. You can also go out to the Chesepeak Bay for serious fishing (striper, blues, etc), but its not much for waterskiing in the summer due to jellyfish. I suppose you could, but I've never seen anyone during my fishing trips.

Hope that helps with trhe water requests

As for traffic - it use to be that all the traffic was heading into DC, but more and more people are commuting suburb to suburb. So, you won't get much break staying outside the beltway completely. Also, Merrifield is close enough to the beltway that you would probably use it if you lived in Woodbridge. I live in Lorton, I leave at 6:30am and it takes me about 30 minutes to get to about Merrifield (i.e. the 495/66 merge).

Old 07-19-2006, 03:53 PM

46 posts, read 117,881 times
We are not moving from AZ to VA.....We have already lived in AZ, and now reside in CA.......but retirement is approaching soon......our only child is attending a college in Hampden-Sydney, VA......sure anyone familiar with the area knows the school's name.....son loves Virginia, and in all probability will be making his own home in the area someday......My siblings reside in NH, AL, and FL.....so VA would be a good location for visiting.......

Any suggestions on nice areas to retire to....would be appreciate. My husband would define a nice area as having fishing and a minor league baseball team. My definition......friendly people, low crime, and 4 seasons.
Any advise would be most appreciated....thank you

Old 07-29-2006, 07:45 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail
My husband would define a nice area as having fishing and a minor league baseball team. My definition......friendly people, low crime, and 4 seasons.
Any advise would be most appreciated....thank you
Maybe Bedford County. Close to Smith Mountain Lake and/or Leesvile Lake (for fishing). Minor League baseball in Lynchburg (and maybe Roanoke or Salem too - I know they have minor league hockey). At the edge of the mountains for 4 seasons. Crime is pretty low.

Fredericksburg/Lake Anna might work too, but not sure about baseball.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:51 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
richmond has the james river rated the best bass fishing on the east coast and the richmond braves which is atlantas farm team, not much crime outside of the city.
norfolk has the bay with all the best fishing sea or bay cobia, stripped bass etc. the norfolk tides minorleage baseball, plenty of towns in the hampton roads area with little crime like chesepeake va hampton va

Old 08-25-2006, 12:27 PM

46 posts, read 117,881 times
A belated thank you for your responses. A lot has happened since I posted....I'm now over in the North Carolina forum.....my stepson, as a retirement gift for his dad, purchased us a home in NC.......we will only be 100 miles away from son's school in VA.......we feel very fortunate......and looking forward to many visits to Virginia too.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia