Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 38,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, I could possibly be starting a new job at Orbital Sciences, in Sterling, in just a few weeks.

Does anyone have recommendations on good apartments in the area? I have searched out some apartment rating sites. But you guys here seem to have some great insite so I'd love to hear some more opinions.

Also what are some nice towns to buy a home in the area, besides Leesburg? Of course travel time and home prices are concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 04:22 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,272 times
Even though Orbital's address is technically Sterling, it is very close to Dulles Town Center Mall and the Ashburn area. I don't even think of it as Sterling. I pass by Orbital on a shortcut to the mall. They have a road over there actually called Warp Drive. Okay, what do you mean by price is a concern? What price range? That will make it a little easier to answer your question about housing. What's affordable to you might not be to someone else.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:10 AM

For apartments, probably 1200-1500/mo. And for homes, 300-400K. Thanks I should have specified. We like the country over a city atmosphere.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:24 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,882,711 times
They just finished building some nice apt/TH right around Dullas Town Center.
(not sure on price though). I agree with Ashbrn4, I don't think of that area as Sterling either! Cascades in Sterling has some nice apt and TH as well.

As far as purchasing a home.... the Warrenton area may suit your needs for country not city as well as price. They are building like crazy in this area though so you will be out on a country road with farms etc... then BOOM a huge housing development appears.

How far do you wnat ot commute?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 AM

Of course I'd like my commute as short as possible, but not anything over 40 minutes if I can help it.

We would do a nice townhome but we'd rather have a house.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 AM

566 posts, read 2,984,168 times
Take a look at Kirkpatrick Farms, Amber Ridge and Stone Ridge in Aldie. They have some nice townhomes there that fit your price range. Be carefull though, some of the homes that look like townhomes are actually townhouse-style condos and they have some pretty hefty condo fees.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:19 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,272 times
Your rental range for an apt is fine, but buying in the 300-400k range will not get you a very large townhouse and definitely not a single family in the area. Farther west, past Leesburg and south to Prince William or Fauquier Counties will buy you more home.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 73,346 times
If you're looking to buy check out Hamilton and Lovettsville. There is stuff is your price range out there. I just bought a home on 1.5 acres in Lovettsville for 350k and had been looking in your price range myself (300-400k), there's alot out there some are smaller but there are some larger ones too (check out Mills Ct listings in Lovettsville, we were going to buy a house there but then found the one we did buy).

Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 AM

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to say that I took the job and found a very nice apt at The Ashborough in Ashburn, only 5 miles from work. I'm still getting familiar with the area and my home search will continue.

Does anyone know why it seems that all the new housing around here are these HUGE 4-5000 sq. ft. homes in areas with no mature trees? I'm just looking for 2000-2500 sq. ft. in a mature treed sub.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:36 AM

76 posts, read 345,297 times
If you are looking for mature trees you will either have to go closer in (Reston, Herndon, Vienna) or look in Cascades (Potomac Falls) which is a part of Sterling. Cascades was built 10-15 years ago and the homes are a little smaller and there are now lots of trees. Lots are pretty small though. I still don't think could find a single family in those neighborhoods at that price, but you would be able to find a very nice townhome in cascades at least. I think your plan to rent for a while and get to know the area is a good one. You may even find what you are looking for further out, like Winchester.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia