Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 PM

429 posts, read 1,867,059 times

Advertisements

Being a former Criminal Justice major, I have to say this is outrageous.
The man/woman has been convicted of a crime, and served their time.
You don't even know who or what the offense was.
For all you know it could have been an 18 year old with a 17 year old, it could have been a 25 year old out drink with his friends who was caught urinatin public.
A million things could of happened.

This whole megan's law is much like the terroism farce we have today, extreme paranoia which conservatives play against us to violate our rights and prepetuate discrimination/persuction on those who they can.

It baffles me that this country feels it's okay for a person to be convicted, serve their time, and yet ostracize them with a scarlet letter after they have done their punishment.
To me THAT is unAmerican.

We complain about high recivism rates, yet we give those convicted no oppurtunity to reintegrate without hordes of people like you waiting to bring them in.

Just remember whatever the crime was, it could have been something very trival, VA has a history of being overzealous with the law.
You would not believe what is considered a sex offense.

Just keep that in mind, and keep in mind the foundation of our justice system called "doing your time" and "reintegration" before you get all paranoid over it.

Calm down.
Find out the facts of the offense first.
Don't be naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 04:52 AM

67 posts, read 538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Being a former Criminal Justice major, I have to say this is outrageous.
The man/woman has been convicted of a crime, and served their time.
You don't even know who or what the offense was.
For all you know it could have been an 18 year old with a 17 year old, it could have been a 25 year old out drink with his friends who was caught urinatin public.
A million things could of happened.

This whole megan's law is much like the terroism farce we have today, extreme paranoia which conservatives play against us to violate our rights and prepetuate discrimination/persuction on those who they can.

It baffles me that this country feels it's okay for a person to be convicted, serve their time, and yet ostracize them with a scarlet letter after they have done their punishment.
To me THAT is unAmerican.

We complain about high recivism rates, yet we give those convicted no oppurtunity to reintegrate without hordes of people like you waiting to bring them in.

Just remember whatever the crime was, it could have been something very trival, VA has a history of being overzealous with the law.
You would not believe what is considered a sex offense.

Just keep that in mind, and keep in mind the foundation of our justice system called "doing your time" and "reintegration" before you get all paranoid over it.

Calm down.
Find out the facts of the offense first.
Don't be naive.

You meant to say this is what liberals like to do to violate MEN's rights.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:18 PM

10 posts, read 24,080 times
There is something seriously wrong with the way you compare things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboah View Post
Put it this way. I got arrested over something stupid over 10 yrs ago. Yet, I may not be able to get a clearance in my field because of it. Think about it. I am no longer suitable to WORK with others in some cases, and that is just WORK. We are not even talking about LIVING somewhere. Some will give me a second chance to WORK with someone and I sure as heck wasn't convicted of 2 counts of rape like this guy was. In direct contrast, I was arrested for verbally confronting someone who my ex-wife who alleged sexually assulted her. (To add insult to injury, I now believe that her story was false).

So picture it now, two ends of the spectrum. I find out that this alleged rapist has raped someone in my family and I confront them.

I get arrested and a rapist walks free. As you can see, things like this can and do happen.

This guy was not only convicted of two counts of rape, but has been convicted of 3 additional felonies recently and charged with other additional crimes. Maybe this guy is incapable of recovery, or maybe his locality just doesn't care? It is not going to be my problem and I won't take the time to find out.

Think about it. You would consider feeling sorry for an alleged rapist because no one will live close to him, but most employers will not feel a drop of sorrow for me (even when I explain the circumstances if applicable) when it is time to get that job to feed my family by working those 8+ hours per day.

Take a second to think about it, I can easily be stopped from putting food on the table for my family. This guy may just have the worry that no one will move next to him. (Yes I know he probably has other worries).

You said that you would make a choice in favor of your family like I did.

I just thought that this post would make that hypothetical answer easier for you.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:25 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,309,120 times
I assume those that are crying about the rights of a sexual offender are aware of the HIGH recidivism rate of these people?

Bureau of Justice Statistics Criminal Offenders Statistics (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm - broken link)

Its VERY sad that people have SO little concern for children who can't defend themselves and SO much concern for violent criminals...

Old 06-30-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Lisa

Dont even waste your time arguing with this guy he does this on many boards and has been pissing people off for a long time on the internet.
He does not know the true meaning of an adult discussion,with many different opinions.
Google his name (beeboah) and you will see what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I'm crazy and callous because firstly I agree and support laws like Megans Law and the laws of Civl Commitment AND I agree and support the psychiatric community's realization that these people are not rehabilitated only contained???

I'm crazy because I prefer to protect the innocense of our children rather then the lives of people who harm them??

Any reason you feel comfortable making a personal attack like this??

Old 06-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDULOUS View Post
Dont even waste your time arguing with this guy he does this on many boards and has been pissing people off for a long time on the internet.
He does not know the true meaning of an adult discussion,with many different opinions.
Oh and by the way..............I agree with you and your not the crazy one

Old 06-30-2007, 07:09 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,309,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INCREDULOUS View Post
The reply you mentioned of mine was directed at Rawlings not Beeboah...It was Rawlings who was defending sex offenders.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I got what you are saying, but think about it. We have 2 counts of rape when the man was 29. If he REALLY did it, he should have known better.

Then he turns 48, he gets convicted of another felony. At 49 yet another. At 50 yet another.

It shows that something is definitely up.
Given the amount of time you spend on the internet beeboah Im surprised you didnt think of this prior to trying to buy the house???
Given the number of boards you are on?????

Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
"I didn't do my homework here?" So then how do I know that there is a sexual offender living next door. Did you tell me, or did I find out on my own?

Or maybe I excercised due diligence? Hmmmmmm

I sense some bias here.
Given the times we live in................thats usually one of the first things people check,especially if they have kids.Especially with all of the horror stories in the news almost everyday?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
The reply you mentioned of mine was directed at Rawlings not Beeboah...It was Rawlings who was defending sex offenders.
Yep I know.............not sure what happened but my computer froze when I was doing a couple of postings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: