Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2006, 11:05 AM

22 posts, read 183,013 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if people living in VA and is from Arizona or the North are having a hard time getting along with people from VA. My past experince with them is that they are snooty and dislike people from Arizona and Hate people from the north. Thats right I said HATE!! I just wanted to confirm this saying from other people.

Wanna Know the truth,
freeverrsee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 11:58 AM

184 posts, read 438,583 times
I'm from CA living in N. VA and haven't had a hard time at all. N. VA is really a melting pot so it's hard to find people here who aren't from other places in the US or otherwise.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 PM

22 posts, read 183,013 times
Default Reply

Maybe the southeren and I just don't mix!! The sotherners seem to hate New yorkers. my mom is from New York and they just don't seem to accept her is it the same in the south?

Old 07-22-2006, 02:38 PM

24 posts, read 126,872 times
Unhappy relocation to VA from AZ or NY

I live in Richmond VA. I am a native New Yorker with a strong Brooklyn accent. I lived in Phoenix for 9 years prior to moving to VA. It is my experience that the "white" southerners are nasty and cold and don't have an ounce of so called Southern Hospitality. Once they hear my accent they avoid me like the plague. I feel like an outcast here and I will be begging my husband to move back to the Northeast as soon as he returns from Iraq.

Some of the people in Phoenix (from the midwest) had a hard time getting along with the New Yorkers that lived there. But not half as bad as they are in the South!!!

The civil war ended more than 100 years ago. They need to let it go once and for all.

NYCGIRL

Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,356,933 times
i have been here 20 years and i havent had any problem other than a few jokes said about me being a yankee, no real problem if you wear a chip on your shoulder someone will knock it off, this is true anywhere. so rather than tell them you are from az.......... "just tell them you are from france! meeps meeps"

Old 07-25-2006, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeverrsee
My past experince with them is that they are snooty and dislike people from Arizona and Hate people from the north. Thats right I said HATE!! I just wanted to confirm this saying from other people.
That's a little insulting but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I live in Northern Virginia, which is a melting pot. I've never experienced any hatred or dislike for people who are from other areas considering that most of us are outsiders ourselves; I have a hard time thinking that people would hate others just because of where they're from. That's also interesting that you say that they hate people from the north. In my experience, Virginia is kind of split into two states within a state: there's northern and southern virginia which are distinctly different. Northern Virginia considers itself 'the north' and Southern Virginia considers itself 'the south' so saying that Virginians hate northerners is kind of an oxymoron considering that many of us consider ourselves northerners!

Maybe you just ran across a bad group of Virginians, but I hope you don't close off the state forever because there are so many wonderful people here!

and remember, Virginia is for lovers!

Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 51,087 times
I'm from NY too. It seems they just don't like us. My accent throws them off. In the begining I was treated like an alien from outer space. Some people loved me and some "HATED" me.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:02 PM

61 posts, read 93,773 times
I'm originally from Sicklerville, New Jersey. I've lived in Williamsburg for 9 years, Blacksburg for 3 years, and Roanoke for 2 years. Some people in Williamsburg were a little snooty, mostly were a few people who lived in one of 2 or 3 neighborhoods, but overall not a problem. No problems in Blacksburg, and people in Roanoke are just too poor, stupid, and redneck to understand your question. Moving to Richmond in a few weeks for a new job and don't expect a problem.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 PM

90 posts, read 319,051 times
"No problems in Blacksburg, and people in Roanoke are just too poor, stupid, and redneck to understand your question."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... as opposed to what... rich, pseudo-intellectual, and elitist?

A little shallow of you, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia