Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:19 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times

Advertisements

Jennifer, why would you and your husband have trouble in the South?? Is there something that you are doing that would cause trouble?

The only trouble you would have is if you were white married to a black man, or a black family moving into a white working class or poor neigbhorhood.

can you explain or list what troubles you think you would have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Parschauer View Post
Gee that's so nice to hear! I know in the end it's going to take getting a "feel" for the area before we decide. Still interested and looking at either the Brandermill/Woodlake area (seems like a lot of transplants?), the Chester area, or somewhere in Mechanicsville. On a side note, I did read on bestplaces that the air quality in the Midlothian/Brandermill area isn't rated very good - much better in Mechanicsville - any thoughts or info. on this? If a family member has allergies in the spring, will this be a nightmare? Reason's why? Industry?

Is it generally a better bet in a "community" to make local friends - like Brandermill etc. Any nice ones under $250K in the above areas?

Thanks again!
My husband's mother is in Chester- (they are NY originally) but have been there since the 80's- you can still get a decent sized house there for under 200k, and you are about an hour from the city of Richmond.

I often wonder if all the media harping on read and blue states makes us more aware of being Yankees- some people may notice if you have a "yankee accent" (which I am proud of) I am not sure what the world is coming to if people still discriminate on this basis.

sunny.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 AM

58 posts, read 452,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Jennifer, why would you and your husband have trouble in the South?? Is there something that you are doing that would cause trouble?

The only trouble you would have is if you were white married to a black man, or a black family moving into a white working class or poor neigbhorhood.

can you explain or list what troubles you think you would have?
Thanks for your interest! Doing? Umm, no, I think it's just the "being". We actually are quite outgoing and I'd say are good neighbors who want to make friends! However, my situation is that we have been living in Austria for 10 years. (My husband is an American born in Germany). We live in a small village, and have "nice" neighbors, but they will not come past the driveway. People just assume I think Bush is an idiot and say so right out (surprise, I'm a republican and my brother was serving in Iraq), that Americans can't cook, that we're loaded just because we're from the US (not), that we aren't cultured etc... And not because we act this way - trust me, we know this cutlure and don't behave this way, but are labled. Other Americans here have all gotten the same. And we've learned to make the best of it, but Americans have a horrible reputation here, and my son has had a harder time in school just being foreign - the strange thing is we have a good number (almost 20% of their little school) of refugees from Chechenya, Bosnia, Armenia etc., but there are groups of them, and he seems to get singled out.

This is a big move for us back to the US (we have 2 other girls, 6 and 8), and unfortunately, both our parents moved to Florida about 5 years ago, and that seems like home, but we don't dare attempt to afford what is happening down there. Bottom line is, we'd just hate to put a root down and then find that we are not welcome there either. Like I said, there are plenty of people who are nice, but I guess we don't want to be steryotyped. Thankfully I lost my accent a long time ago, but gee, where is home. We just don't want NY winters any longer and so hoped we could find middle ground. (We have family in Gettysburg and DC)

If you can tell me what schools have the most "transplants" it might help us decide where. We like Chester for size and cost, but my husband is dying for half an acre or more, but if we move out of the suberbs, will we be on our own out there?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:16 AM

59 posts, read 315,590 times
Hi, I understand your concern but I think you will be fine in the Richmond area. I grew up in Richmond, lived in Germany, and all over for that matter and even now, when I go back to Richmond, the people are very welcoming. There are lots of transplants and believe it or not Richmond has grown quite diverse. There are also lots of ethnic restaurants and cultural events. People are very nice. They will talk to you in line at the grocery store. I have not heard any prejudice against people from "up north". In my place of employment, most people were from all over; NY, Michigan, Chicago, etc.

Personally I would avoid Mechanicsville. It is just starting to grow, but at one time it still had a sort of redneck stigma to it. I am not saying it still does as I haven't lived in Richmond now for four years, but I personally would rather live in the Brandermill/Woodlake area.

Re: allergies. I will tell you that the whole city is not the best place for allergies. I don't think the air quality thing you read has anything to do with it. I live in Houston now, go look at the air quality there. It is the worst, but compared to Richmond my allergies here are not half as bad. Richmond has a ton of trees and trees equal pollen. In the fall these trees shed leaves and leaves mean mold spores. So if you are an allergy sufferer like me, plan on stocking up on Zyrtec. That's a trade-off for the natural beauty of the state.

I think you will find Richmond a nice place to live. There are some beautiful parks, great independent restaurants, the beach (2 hr drive) and the mountains.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:37 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
Jennifer, you sound like you would be right at home in the South, at least in my hometown. We welcome people from other backgrounds as long as they are open to us, friendly as you say, you will have no problems and since you are a Republican even more welcome--although we have an almost equal number if Dems(just not Howard Dean-I hate america Democrats).

Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,344 times
Default Tolerance

So, according to CarolinaJack, tolerance is practiced for white Yankees, and maybe black Yankees, but not for interracial couples. Good to know. Hurrah, porgress.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 14,923 times
Jennifer
I moved down here from NY almost 5 years ago and I have to say that I have never encountered anything but friendly, well mannered people who will go out of their way for you. Southern hospitality really does exit! I live down in Virginia Beach.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:27 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
carolinajack, Howard Dean doesn't hate America. You hate America.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,163 times
Jennifer, I spent a portion of my childhood in Spain and in England. I understand the perceptions of the Americans over there. It was tough in school sometimes too. I get that. But now, as an adult I find I'm able to aprriecitate both sides of the argument. Funny isn't it, how Europeans pride themselves on not having all the racial problems as the U.S. The only time prejudice is accepted, is when it's directed toward an American. Anyway, I think you'll do fine here. My family is originally from Erie PA, my dad was military. I've been here the longest of any other place. My husband was born in Irland, his mother is English and his father is from NY city. I'm in the Va. Beach area. There's alot of transplants and alot of military throughout Virginia. People get stationed here and then just stay. As far as any problems with "teasing" I'd say it's just that. It's in fun "dam yankees". My sister in law is a southern and she says it plenty!
It's actually worse further south such as North Carolina. My cousin just moved from NY and as her coworkers told her "remember to never enter a room mouth first". But living in Europe you're already familiar with that.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex22 View Post
So, according to CarolinaJack, tolerance is practiced for white Yankees, and maybe black Yankees, but not for interracial couples. Good to know. Hurrah, porgress.
alex22, you took the words right out of my mouth, not so much about the interracial couples, but to CarolinaJack, why would being a middle class black family living in a middle class white neighborhood be the cause of a problem? You still enocurage Jim Crow laws I see-my upper middle class black family will be relocating to the Richmond area in the summer, would being your neighbor be a problem!?!? Progress, right--I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia