Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times

Advertisements

So, my best friend is a journalist is being flown up from here in Atlanta for an interview in Waynesboro. There is a very strong possibility that she will get this jbb, so I'm totally excited for her. Neither of us know anything about the area though. She will be covering the happenings in both Staunton and Waynesboro, so she would need to stay in those immediate areas. Which would be a better town for a single 26 year old professional live? She is more into shopping in independent stores rather than big box stores, however she would prefer to not be too far from them either. What is the 'feel' of both cities? Also, her budget is not huge, as anyone in the journalistic field would know. Please advise us on the best options! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 PM

542 posts, read 991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
So, my best friend is a journalist is being flown up from here in Atlanta for an interview in Waynesboro. There is a very strong possibility that she will get this jbb, so I'm totally excited for her. Neither of us know anything about the area though. She will be covering the happenings in both Staunton and Waynesboro, so she would need to stay in those immediate areas. Which would be a better town for a single 26 year old professional live? She is more into shopping in independent stores rather than big box stores, however she would prefer to not be too far from them either. What is the 'feel' of both cities? Also, her budget is not huge, as anyone in the journalistic field would know. Please advise us on the best options! Thanks in advance!
First off I would like to welcome your friend to VA(possibly) and congrats on finding a job in this economy. Second, be prepared for complete culture shock! The Atlanta metro has something like 5 million people and the Staunton/Waynesboro area has just over a hundred thousand. So it's going to be a big city to the small town scenario. This area is more agriculture, manufacturing, and service based. Not many professionals here. Though just 20 miles east of Waynesboro is Charlottesville, that has many professionals as UVA is there, more shopping too. Waynesboro has newer chain stores moving in like Target, Home Depot, Kohls, etc. But the town itself is pretty characterless. Staunton on the other hand has more local flavor downtown, all the local "yuppies" and artists pretty much stay there. Also an independant movie theater and Shakespeare theater downtown, but is your typical Wal-Mart crowd elsewhere.

Staunton has more character and charm being a historic city. The two towns are only 10 miles apart and are mainly viewed as one area. The "town" connecting them is Fishersville, it's right in between and the local hospital is located there. It's central, but boring, almost suburban in feel.

If you need a big city "fix", DC is only a couple hours away, for major museums, pro sports, shopping, nightlife, traffic, etc. Richmond is closer and has good shopping as well, but if you are used to Atlanta, then DC is the only comparison locally. Overall, I do like living here in Staunton, it can be frustrating sometimes, but it's all about making the best out of your situation instead of only looking at the negatives. Hope this helps and if you have more ??? please ask! Oh and this area is very inexpensive, especially Staunton so your friend should be fine.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,024 times
I'd live in C'Ville and commute. Waynesboro was the first place we looked at houses in VA. Not impressed and that was before they closed down two of the main plants in town. The only thing it has going is proximity to Cville and cheaper homes.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Thanks so much for the info! I have been to Charlottesville a few years ago. I had some friends that attended UVA. However, I never made it out towards the area that she will be in. Ideally, she would love to live in Charlottesville, however her work prohibits that. She has to stay in the immediate area. Also, she is from a small town, so I don't think it will be too much of a shock. What do you think she might pay for a small 2 bedroom home or apartment? Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM

$600-$900/mo

Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 AM

24 posts, read 77,807 times
You can actually rent a small two bedroom in staunton for less than that. I've looked at decent ones about 800 square feet for $500-550. $900 Is about what a nice 3 bedroom house would go for.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM

I assumed a professional would not want to live in a dump.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:57 PM

24 posts, read 77,807 times
Those prices wouldn't get you a dump. I was thinking of two particular small communities, both have 2 bedrooms only, both about 800 square feet in very nice locations, both with wood floors. One has mainly young professionals, the other is slightly more expensive and in a slightly better location( within walking distance to downtown) but has quite a lot of college students. You can absolutely spend 800-900, and even more ( especially on townhomes in fishersville) but they really aren't any nicer. They are merely in larger communities and probably do include more "ammenities", such as a pool. My standards are actually pretty high. We moved from charlottesville where we spent a fortune on rent and were shocked at how cheaply you can rent here- especially if you really look around. We ended up buying and are now ready to sell this house and buy a bigger one, but we first looked into renting it. For our house, a small( 950 square foot) 2 bedroom in a nice neighborhood with a large level fenced in lot on the north side we could only get about $700 which wouldn't come close to covering our mortgage. Rental prices are cheap here- and something I've looked into quite a lot.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
Real estate prices in Staunton (at least, used to be) are pretty nice, especially compared to Charlottesville and points north. I like Staunton as a small city that has stayed small. It has a college, Mary Baldwin, a walkable downtown with some nice shops and restaurants, nearby countryside with working farms and National Forest, an Amtrak station, and a Greyhound station.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
For what it's worth I just read my monthly Washingtonian, and they had a great profile of Staunton as a quiet yet hip getaway. I actually want to visit for an overnighter myself now in the Spring, and I'm a single young professional. I think it sounds like a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia