Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:02 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,932 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why someone "needs" to drink a beer while mowing the lawn anyway. My husband drinks water while mowing and if he's going to, has a drink after wards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
is there a law against using foul language still on the books in VA, specifically in Hampton?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 AM

97 posts, read 616,434 times
Some more laws that don't suit me:

*Radar detectors are illegal
*Seatbelt enforcement
*no foul language in public (definately in VA Beach)
*HOV lane restrictions (great idea but think how much gas is wasted in gridlock by restricted use of extra lanes)
*Mandatory 10% ethanol fuel in certain areas of VA- lower fuel economy and it costs as much resources to process it as it saves.

Others in time =)

Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,027 times
Virginia has wierder laws than those mentioned here:

There is a state law prohibiting "corrupt practices of bribery by any person other than candidates.

Citizens must honk their horn while passing other cars.

It is illegal to tickle women.

Children are not to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.

Culpeper VA:
No one may wash a mule on the sidewalk.

Norfolk VA:
Spitting on a sea gull is not tolerated.

Some of the laws in other states I've come across:

In San Francisco it is illegal to re-use confetti, spit on your laundry, walk your elephant anywhere but on Market St., sell milk in anything but sealed glass bottle, set a mouse trap without a hunging license, or carry a container on a pole over your shoulder.

At one time they had a law on the books there forbidding ugly persons being seen on the streets, but that was repealed.

Another town in North Carolina has a law requiring all fire hydrants to be checked one hour before all fires, and a law that allows birds to sing for one hour during the morning and one hour during the evening.

The Arkansas River can by law rise no higher than the Main St. Bridge in Little Rock.

In Baldwin Park CA it's illegal to ride a bicyle in a swimming pool, I guess that's been a problem there.

Another town, I forget which, still requires that you shoot any indians you see coming into town.

In Baltimore it is specifically illegal to take a lion to the movies....

In Detroit it's illegal to tie a crocodile to a fire hydrant.

An Illinois state law requires that a man's female companion shall call him "master" while out on a date. The law does not apply to married couples.

In NY state a license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothes line... and slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 pm.

In Staten Island, New York, It is illegal for a father to call his son a "******" or "*****" in an effort to curb "girlie behavior."

In the fine city of Devon, Connecticut, walking backwards after sunset is not allowed.

In Oklahoma dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property and people who make "ugly faces" at dogs may be fined and/or jailed. Also, Oklahoma will not tolerate anyone taking a bite out of another's hamburger, tatoos are banned, and it's unlawful to wear your boots to bed.

Florida:

Women can be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer. The salon owner can also be fined for this horrible crime.

A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or ''she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.''

Iowa:

You may shoot Native Americans if there are more than five of them on your property at any one time.

Georgia:

One man may not be on another man's back.

It's against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

In Marietta, It is illegal to spit from a car or bus, However, citizens may spit from a truck.

Louisiana:

Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

You may not tie an alligator to a fire hydrant.

It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

Massachusetts:

Mourners at a wake may not eat more than three sandwiches.

Peeping in the windows of automobiles is forbidden.

It's illegal to sell fewer than 24 ducklings at a time before May 1, or to sell rabbits, chicks, or ducklings that have been painted a different color.

Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely locked.

No gorilla is allowed in the back seat of any car.

Michigan:

You may not swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan.

A woman isn't allowed to get her hair cut without her husband's permission.

It is illegal to let your pig run free in Detroit unless it has a ring in its nose.

New Jersey:

If you are convicted of driving while intoxicated, you are no longer allowed to apply for personalized license plates.

North Carolina:

Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields.

Fights between cats and dogs are prohibited

North Dakota:

It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Pennsylvania:

No one is allowed to sleep on a refrigerator. Stoves, dishwashers and microwave ovens are not specifically mentioned.

You may not sing in the bathtub.

Texas:

It is illegal for a person to shoot a buffalo from the second story of their hotel. Apparently, it is okay to do it from your house or apartment.

It is illegal to milk another person's cow.

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

No one other than a "registered pharmacist" may sell condoms or other kinds of contraceptives "on the streets or other public places.

It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. Curiously, it doesn't specify that you need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.

In Kentucky every citizen of is required to take a shower once a year.

Alabama:

Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.

It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.

Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.

Anniston Alabama:

You may not wear blue jeans down Noble Street.

Huntsville Alabama:

If an animal control officer is in uniform, it signifies to the public that he is an animal control officer.

Kansas City MO:

Minors are not allowed to purchase cap pistols, however they may buy shotguns freely.

Natchez:

It shall be unlawful to provide beer or other intoxicants to elephants.

Alaska:

It is unlawful to throw a live moose out of an airplane, serve a moose a cocktail, or to view moose from an airplane.

Juneau: Owners of flamingos may not let their pet into barber shops.

Arizona:

Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony.

Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.

It is illegal to manufacture imitation cocaine.

When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person posseses.

Arkansas:

Men are prohibited from beating their wives more than once a month.

It is unlawful to keep an alligator in a bathtub.

Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term.

It is unlawful to walk one's cow down Main Street after 1:00 PM on Sunday.

California:

Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Women may not drive in a house coat.

No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

.....hey, we are nothing if not a nation of laws....

Amy

Last edited by amylewis; 05-29-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 PM

97 posts, read 616,434 times
Default why is only your husband mowing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbrn4 View Post
My husband drinks water while mowing and if he's going to, has a drink after wards.
Older people need to stay hydrated better i guess.... but I'm wondering why you always make him mow? Sexist isn't it?

And Amy, thank you the that long post! Some of those are hilarious, and some actually make since.... like bikes in CA pools (prob no water). I really want to shoot a whale from a moving vehicle now too!

Even though I was talking about current laws, You did in a round about way help me to answer my own question... I think that those laws wouldn't have been made if there wasn't some idiot out there doing something to make the law needed in most cases. I imagion some fool on a mower somewhere probably has caused an accident so the whole bad apple thing is likely here but still overkill in my opinion (which isn't worth much)

Old 05-30-2007, 04:26 AM

267 posts, read 1,674,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
Older people need to stay hydrated better i guess.... but I'm wondering why you always make him mow? Sexist isn't it?
Um, whatever. Who said how old he is? I just question anyone's "NEED" to drink while doing things that are better and more safely done while sober.

Laws are enacted because people are stupid. A lot of those older laws have been taken out of context. Some are based on old values, safety, and others were enacted because people were stupid enough to try some of them and caused harm to themselves and others. Kind of like all the idiotic warning labels that come on products now. You know like don't use a hair dryer in the bathtub. Someone has to protect the idiots.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
Quote:
It's against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.
Damn! I knew that one was gonna haunt me someday!!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:03 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,377,592 times
the laws are mostly for safety, ie: tinted windows protects the cops when approaching a traffic stop, the lawn mower while drunk should effect your driver license if you are on a public highway, but when it comes to smoking (and i don't smoke,and it annoys me) i don't feel govt has the right to tell a owner of a private business what he is allowed to do in his business. the people should make the owner allow or not allow smoking by eating ,shopping etc. if the owner sees business drop off account of smoking he would not allow it.
as for the helmet law when riding motor cycles it should be up to the individual ...but if one rides and suffers a head injury everything he owns should be turned over to the hospital ,house ,car, so as the burden of payment is off the tax payer, his head his choice , if he owns nothing he dies...pretty important choice to make huh? if he is hurt while wearing a helmet he would have shown responsibility and would be helped be our tax dollars....but i may be wrong!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:02 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,027 times
Quote:
...And Amy, thank you the that long post! Some of those are hilarious, and some actually make since.... like bikes in CA pools (prob no water). I really want to shoot a whale from a moving vehicle now too!
Yer welcome, and I love that one in Alabama where it's illegal to flick boogers into the wind!

Also, I most certainly do not want a gorilla in my own backseat. I have to wonder how that one came about, it just had to be a great story.

Some of them do make sense, when given a bit of thought, though I doubt the law prohibiting the Arkansas River from rising above the Main St. Bridge in Little Rock will prove enforceable.

A.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:55 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,786 times
I once saw a show that listed some crazy laws and they mentioned a law in Fairfax City that states: It is against the law for one to bounce on a pogo stick while riding a city bus. HA!

Was that really a big enough problem to create a law?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia