Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM

11 posts, read 43,433 times

Advertisements

i'm moving from connecticut to virginia, anywhere in virginia, looking for somewhere where it's cheaper to live than here which is 800 month for two bedroom, want a town where i could get transferred, i work at stop&shop which is also affiliated with giant, it's a grocery store, also looking for a town where someone can get a job that is just general labor,cook,hotel, whatever would be in a local newspaper ad, just looking to start a new life someone better. any suggestions?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,393 times
Default Consider Va Beach

For Luvmom....Richmond, previously recommended is good, as is the Va Beach area. May offer weather close to California, but better traffic. Public schools are good, people are more laid back than in the northern part of the state. Also good restaurants, if that is important. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,589 times
We came over here from California, and I cannot wait to go back. We lived in Arlington Va then moved out to Fredericksburg. Arlington people are 1000% better than Fredericksburg people. We are surrounded with narrow minded people, family roots go deep, and they have a good ole boy system. In Arlington You have a diverse group of people, from all over the world.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,281 times
My husband is relocating to the DC area and we are considering living on Bolling AFB. We have a young son entering the second grade. I would like to see him in an excellent public school, but if we must go private school route, i will consider it. I have been reading the forums about the school counties and it does make for an uncertain feeling. My husband wants a closer commute, I want an excellent school for my son. We are moving from Memphis and I will be taking a leave of absence from my federal civilian job. We only have one vehicle and i just want some advice on nearby school system and school bus systems, etc.. anyone willing to help?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,245 times
Question Your input would help immensly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake?

We on the Virginia forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

PS: WTB Sticky.
I read miss Smerky's post and wanted to make sure I did this correctly.. hehe I am currently living in Bentonville *cough* aka Wal-Mart Land, Arkansas.. and my best friend and I (my mom) are considering Virginia as a possible new place to start. I am going to school full time for my criminal justice bachelors degree, and I would REALLY love to work with the government.

- I am not working - would need to find employment once I got there.. how are the jobs there in these lovely times? I have literally been searching for over a year here. I'm lucky I have hair left.
I know I have over 10+ yrs in the clerical/admin field 3+ in legal, and my mom has a strong background in HR/Accounting.. so we're flexible, just anything to get our foot in the door.
- The housing depends.. I have a 3br 2b that will probably go for about 130,000 here.. don't know how much they'd go for there (I've only researched this for a few days now) We could probably afford 100k+
- Commute? no more than an hour I guess..
- We are both in agreement that we'd want a big city with a small city feeling that has all the neccessary places. (movie theatre, nice selection of restaurants, stores.. etc) Would of course not be afraid to drive a long distance for bigger selections of culture.
- Pie or Cake? Dang this is hard. Can I have two small slivers of each? (Apple pie, and chocolate cake - Of course!) LOL
I have been reading over your posts and you all seem so helpful and knowledgeable, so any help or insight you can give me would be SO delightful and appreciated.
Thanks again..
LadyRoseWind (Amanda)
PS: How is the weather there?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 AM

11 posts, read 29,761 times
Default Suffolk Area

I am debating taking a job at Kings Fork High School, in Suffolk. I currently live in Western New York. I would not mind commuting 30 minutes to work. I can only afford rent up to 800/ month, but do not want to live in the ghetto, or out in the country? I am visiting the area this weekend, and would like to know what places to check out. Where are some good places that a mid 20 year old would like to consider ( near some good nightlife, shopping, resturants, etc..)

Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 12,453 times
Check out Williamsburg and Oyster Point, VA. Hampton is not a wise choice...old and depressing. Only a small area is up to date in times.

I live in Virginia Beach, great area, but it is 1 1/2 hrs from Richmond and 3 1/2 hrs to DC. I've lived in the Tidewater area for 17 years.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 12,453 times
I live in Virginia Beach, VA. This city is part of Tidewater. My suggestions are based on living here 17 years.

The employment situation is dry. However, if you persist, in time you will find something. Housing is high, but taxes are quite low. You can find a nice house in a nice area for about 225K - 250K. Townhomes range from 100K up.

Suffolk is rural. There are some new areas and nice homes. Suffolk is building up. You will be able to find a nice rental for $800/mo. Night life isn't in Suffolk. However, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are 1/2 hour to 45 minutes away.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,979 times
Default Manassas Park

My husband and I visited Manassas Park several years ago while he was interviewing at the high school. We really loved the area but circumstances forced us to stay in our home area of rural Northern NY. Circumstances have changed and I would like to know what the options are in the Manassas Park area for housing and such. On a hypothetical salary of 106,000 a year, what type of housing is available for a family of six? Public school is fine as long as there is a strong special ed department as we have a child on the autism spectrum. Rural or suburban setting is probably best. As far as shopping and resteraunts go, we already drive at least 15 minutes to get ANYWHERE so if that's and indication of how rural we are, I hope it helps. Thanks!!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:24 PM

9 posts, read 27,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCold_Calvin_Austin View Post
We have very little snow these days. Lynchburg is fantastic for those of us who love going to church. Roanoke is more urban.

Centra who run the two Hospitals in Lynchburg are allways looking for health care workers. I am quite sure they could land you a job OR tell you were in Lynchburg you could work.

I live in Lynchburg. I doubt you will like it. Most of Virginia exept Northern Virginia and to some extent Va Beach is white conservative protestants...like myself. Mybe Charlottesville would fit you?

I have to ask based on what you wrote. Why are you moving to Virginia?

why would you suggest Charlottesville? Are you saying because it's majority black? If you are conservative pro, then are you recognizing that you all have a problem with other ethnics groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia