Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM

15 posts, read 49,918 times

Advertisements

I am coming from the caribbean to work in the DC area, need some guidance.

Where you are working : Remote but have office in DC and Reston

-How much you are willing to spend on housing 1800 per month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 30min
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? good public school
-
What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - Saftey is premium as might have to travel and would want to know my wife is safe. also, community with Caribbean "feel".. [just to lessen the effect of change]

-Community amenities important to you - parks, recreation
- cake?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 PM

3 posts, read 13,348 times
-Where you are working UVA
-How much you are willing to spend on housing $400,000
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 20 minutes, prefer less
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? public, 4 kids
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? college town community environment, liberal leaning,
-Community amenities important to you parks, recreation facilities, walkable area
-Pie or cake? Cake

Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,359 times
Hello, we are moving from Kansas city to VA. Hubby got a job that is on 10?? Shillelagh Road
Chesapeake, VA 23323-6510. I'm looking for information on areas to rent that are within a decent driving distance from there. I want the commute to be decent, not like 1hour or so each way.

I did find a town home to rent, but it is located on Darnell Drive virginia beach.
Can anyone tell me if this is a smart move, distance wise and all.

I need to also know (and have been lurking in the forums and researching on my own too) a nice area to live. I like SAFE, and burbish area's. Looking for a nice family place.

How much you are willing to spend on housing $ renting, under $1300 a month - 2 bedroom/allows pets
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 30 minutes, prefer less
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? 1 kiddo - high school. Could do either private, online or public
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling small city excitement? suburbia, community environment, liberal leaning,
-Community amenities important to you parks, recreation facilities, walkable area

SAFE, not so congested...

thanks for reading,

Carvsh

Last edited by carvsh; 04-25-2010 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: forgot to answer the questions.. Oops..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,338 times
Default Western Immigrant (Western US) looking to re-locate to VA/MD

Working in Manassass and Alexandria
Rent for $2,000-$2,500
Commuting is difficult to say because I would be splitting time between both cities... maybe 40 mins at the max to either city
Private or Public; 3 kids (5 year old, 3 year old, and 1 year old)
Conservative Christian community, we are LDS (Mormon)
Neighborhood preferences- small city, close to larger events
Cake

Any info would be wonderful

thank you

Old 05-20-2010, 06:53 AM

3 posts, read 9,973 times
most def have to go with chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate cookie crumbles around the edge....

Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
Default Help me move :)

Hi i am a single 45y old black female with a 24y old son. i'm coming from las vegas,nv. i drive motor coach tour busses. where is the best place for a new comer to move and work. i am willing to commute at least 50m round trip to work. i've liveD n a big city most of my life. (Ca, Az, Hawii, Nv) now i'm ready to quiet down my life. i'm not much of a partyer but i'm not an angel either. can any one help me? my sister and husband r moving somewhere around the winchester area that's cool but i want a little travel between us. my search is some where between winchester and alexandria. i don't have any knowledge of the state but i'm a fast learner. i'm looking to move around the top of the year r if job comes first.

Last edited by ysgrl69; 06-25-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 AM

25 posts, read 95,415 times
You can get much more for your money in Stafford County. There are very rural parts and there are areas that are suburban. Looking up in Leesburg you will pay more in taxes and more for property...less for your money. Fairfax is expensive...so forget any property in your price range of $350k. However, commuting up to Alexandria...unless your hubby is leaving at 5am is difficult. Traffic is horrible on I95.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:56 AM

25 posts, read 95,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrx View Post
Herndon is suitable to live in Virginia, right?
I heard that Herdon is so-so. I guess you need to visit it in person.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,230 times
Hi, we're going to be moving to the Ft. Lee area in the next few months. We prefer small towns to big cities and would like to have a decent sized yard so neighbors aren't right on top of us but I don't want to have to drive to go next door either.

Where you are working Ft. Lee
-How much you are willing to spend on housing $250,000
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 10 - 15 miles
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? public, 2 kids ages 10 and 13
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? small town environment. I like knowing my neighbors by name and knowing if we leave the garage open someone will come to the door to let us know.
-Community amenities important to you A safe neighborhood, recreation facilities, walkable area, within a few miles from a clean grocery store. Most important of all is school quality. We'll turn down a house if it's in a bad district or gladly pay more for one in a good district. Schools, low crime, and distance to Ft. Lee are by far the biggest factors.
-Pie or cake? I make an amazing French Silk Pie.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,518 times
Default S. Floridians looking for advise on where to live!!! :)

-Where you are working - FROM HOME
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - RENTING FIRST UP TO $1200
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate N/Q
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? PUBLIC
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? SUBURBIA DELIGHT
-Community amenities important to you - KID FRIENDLY A MUST!!
-Pie or cake? PIE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia