Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,138,992 times

Advertisements

im looking to relocate to va however i am very flexible - i have no children so im not worried about school systems - i would like to be just outside of a city such as richmond but not living in it - although this move is to prepare for retirement i do need to work another 10 years thats why commuting distance to a city - i have no preference for stick built or modular type home but i would want a home on one level - i would prefer city water only due to water pressure but its not an absolute necessity - i have no preference on sewer or septic - i would prefer a smaller lot or wooded lot than a huge open area that needs mowing - any help you can rendered would be greatly appreciated - thank you

Old 05-15-2012, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,416 times
Sorry, I forgot to say I'm a pie fan- rhubarb is the fav.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,534,990 times
mmmmmmmmmm....pie!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,947 times
The industry here in Fishersville has died. Mostly because of the industry in Waynesboro. I would make sure you both have work lined up before you even think about coming to the area. Good steady, reliable work!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,947 times
I know of someone that may be selling a house in a nice neighborhood in annapolis MD. Approx 10 min from the harbor in that price range. If interested let me know Tom.Russo2012@gmail.com

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM

10,267 posts, read 16,021,745 times
Speaking of ol' Virginny, the song was actually REMOVED AS THE STATE SONG in recent years because it was not politically correct enough for the liberal sensibilities of some people.

Carry Me Back to Old Virginny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This kind of historical revisionist liberallism is increasing in other places as well. This song was the state song of Virginia for a long time yet now people want to change it for PC reasons. Definitely shows the enroachment of liberalism and political correctness.....as well as the kind of ethnic "awarness" that led many to vote for Obama for racial reasons....and yes there are many in NOVA as well as in Richmond and nationwide who voted for Obama for racial reasons during both elections.

Old Folks at Home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some people also want to change the state song of Florida because of liberal sensibilities of newcomers from outside the South. And there are also those who want to change the words of Maryland My Maryland since it calls Lincoln a despot and a tyrant.......

Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM

21 posts, read 47,755 times
Default Requesting information-moving to Virginia

[quote=SmerkyGrl;765517]There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake?

We on the Virginia forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

Hi,

I've been thinking to move to Virginia for many years now (more than 20!!!). For different reasons I have not yet. But I definitively believe this is the time to do it. My line of work are the arts management, museums, non-profits, community base jobs, etc. I have a BA in Social Anthropology and all credits and exams for a Master degree in History. I have a lot of experience in those fields, but I also worked in the pharmaceutical environment for 15 years, so I consider myself capable to find a job in different fields. Now, I am 52 going to 53. Do you think it will be easy for me to find a job? I am not really looking forward for retirement right now and definitively not any time soon. I need to work. Originally I was thinking more to the Virginia Beach / Norfolk area. I've been there many times and believe is a place or an area I would like to live in.

I would not like to live in a big city, I love the small town, community feeling, but I would like to have in or close by, available public transportation (buses, trains, etc.) I can commute for 45 min or an hour. No problem at all.

In the beginning I would like to rent a short term rental until I find a job, afterwards I'am willing to pay between $650.00 and $800.00 for rent and/or mortgage. Maybe a little more if necessary.

Another thing that concern me, I am women, I will probably live by myself in the beginning, I have only a son, he is 23, he is in the university now and he is not to attracted to the idea of moving at this moment. So a safe place is important to me.

Another things about me, I love volunteer works, working out (walking or jogging) and swimming.

Any help that you Virginians can give me, I would appreciate it a lot. Specially the town more adequate for me. Other towns that I have look at are Winchester and Richmond. I just need more input on what I am going to find there before I make the move. Ah, I'm really looking to move this year, as a matter of fact between March and May. Thank you in advance.

H

Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM

21 posts, read 47,755 times
Default Moving - Relocating - Finding jobs in Virginia

Hi,

I've been thinking to move to Virginia for many years now (more than 20!!!). For different reasons I have not yet. But I definitively believe this is the time to do it. My line of work are the arts management, museums, non-profits, community base jobs, etc. I have a BA in Social Anthropology and all credits and exams for a Master degree in History. I have a lot of experience in those fields, but I also worked in the pharmaceutical environment for 15 years, so I consider myself capable to find a job in different fields. Now, I am 52 going to 53. Do you think it will be easy for me to find a job? I am not really looking forward for retirement right now and definitively not any time soon. I need to work. Originally I was thinking more to the Virginia Beach / Norfolk area. I've been there many times and believe is a place or an area I would like to live in.

I would not like to live in a big city, I love the small town, community feeling, but I would like to have in or close by, available public transportation (buses, trains, etc.) I can commute for 45 min or an hour. No problem at all.

In the beginning I would like to rent a short term rental until I find a job, afterwards I'am willing to pay between $650.00 and $800.00 for rent and/or mortgage. Maybe a little more if necessary.

Another thing that concern me, I am women, I will probably live by myself in the beginning, I have only a son, he is 23, he is in the university now and he is not to attracted to the idea of moving at this moment. So a safe place is important to me.

Another things about me, I am a christian, I would like to have churches close by, I love volunteer works, working out (walking or jogging) and swimming. And I will have a pet or pets. (most likely a dog).

Any help that you Virginians can give me, I would appreciate it a lot. Specially the town more adequate for me. Other towns that I have look at are Winchester and Richmond. I just need more input on what I am going to find there before I make the move. Ah, I'm really looking to move this year, as a matter of fact between March and May. Thank you in advance.

H

Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,354 times
Red face Moving to Virginia Beach in June-Jobs-Schools-Community

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake?

I am planning to move to Virginia Beach mid summer this year. Myself and my two younger sons, 14 and 11. I would like to rent something in the $650-$750 range, strating off in a safe area, if that's at all possible. I prefer living in a small town, suburb type area but where reaching the city would not be a long drive. I was living in an area in Georgia where my kids were able to play outside...plenty of kids in the neighborhood..and they could travel between blocks or walk to the store and I didn't have to worry about something happening to them. I would love to live in the same kind of area.

They would be going to public school.. I heard that the school system was very good there.. Do the schools provide bus transportation? I assume they all do but in Ga the kids only had to go to the corner for the school bus.

I am applying for jobs there right now and supposedly have a line on a decent job.. do not know what area that it in yet...

But any information on what would be a good area to look into or even a different city, if some feel that maybe Virginia Beach is probably not the right city....

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,354 times
P.S.

Definitely CAKE!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia