Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,053 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We shall be moving to the Newport News area soon. We have heard that Newport News is not a very nice place to live in - primarily due to the high crime rate - is this true?

Where would you recommend? We are relocating from upstate NY.

Some background information:

-Where you are working - Jefferson Lab
-How much you are willing to spend on housing - up to $400K
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - up to 30 mins
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - kids all at college now
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - small town feeling or suburbia
-Community amenities important to you - yes

Would be great to hear from all of you out there.

bb

Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,990,603 times
Most of the buyers I work with choose either York county or Williamsburg

Old 08-05-2013, 07:07 PM

15,182 posts, read 27,963,586 times
OP, you should probably ask in the Hampton Roads forum w/your requirements.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 AM

47 posts, read 84,020 times
Default Fredricksburg

Hi All,
Can anyone give me an idea what the winter weather is like around Fredricksburg, VA? We have Kaiser-Permanente health coverage and must stay in the KP plan area. Looking to relocate to that area from CA. I am originally from Chicago, IL and DO NOT want to live through another winter similar to what is there...
Thank you

Old 10-01-2013, 09:04 AM

Virginia weather is nothing like Chicago!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,823 times
new to the site found the info extremely helpful from Massachusetts car sales rent approximately 900 the 1300 for a2 bedroom 13 year old daughter in public school would like some place quiet and not more than half an hour to the beach need to be near the ocean and pie absolutely blueberry

Old 10-23-2013, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,484 times
Hi everyone. I will be working in arlington va. and do not know alot about the area. I will nees to find a place right away atleast to tide me over initially while I get settled and can buy a house.

I know this area is quite expensive, so definitley looking for surrounding towns. I really dont want to go over finding an apt that is more than 750. Is this possible without a roommate?

I have a small child, interested in a private Christian school and nice area to play, walk, etc. Im looking for a small town, family oriented feeling/atmosphere. Id like my commute to work to be no more than 20 minutes if possible.

Please help if you can. My rent option may sound unrealistic for the area but thought I'd try and ask anyhow.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Northern Virginia Forum but no that amount is not realistic

Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM

78 posts, read 182,447 times
-Where you are working My husband will be working at home, and it's sales, so he will need access to Richmond, and major thouroughfares to drive from one end of va to the other, but he'd ideally like to focus near Richmond area, but not IN the city.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing Looking to rent for a year to be sure we are happy with the area- anything up to about $1500-1600 tops, would love a bit less per month.We need a house with 3-4 bedrooms, or 3 with an office. Or an apartment, townhome, condo, same. 3 with an office, or 4.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate Within 30 minutes to 1 hour to Richmond would be lovely.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Homeschool. But in a not awful school district is always ok- just not our first worry. If there happen to be any awesome co-ops or part time democratic schools, all the better. If not, no big deal- we won't buy at first, can always relocate.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?I want some nature. I don't want to have to drive an hour to take a walk. Water is always nice (preference for running water, or even lakes)

-Community amenities important to you I NEED a pool. A Gym would be lovely as well. Hell, throw in a sauna and I would lose my mind.

-Pie or cake?
cake, no frosting.

Just to add: been looking at Brandermill online. Not sure I would buy there (not into having to follow that many rules if I own). But, online, the trees, pools, water.. lovely. Also, I adore the 70's contemporary homes- call me weird, but it's our style. I've heard bad opinions: but they seem mostly to be about the age/style of homes (that I like), or the strict rules. We like contemporary, 70's contemporary, or Mid century modern. Having a hard time finding any apartments near Richmond that aren't downtown AND modern/contemporary styled.

Let me have it!

Old 12-29-2013, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,634 times
Well, maybe you guys can help me; I am a disabled veteran, currently living in Los Angeles,CA, and am thinking about relocating to Richmond or one of the surrounding communities to be near my daughter. Because of my disability and limited income, I desire to be near a veterans medical facility and a military base for commissary purposes. I have completed a little research on the Richmond area, and the area seems to have a little small town/big city glow about it. I will be trying to find a decent 2 bdrm apartment, in a safe area. My housing budget is around $1,000.00. Please help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia