Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:24 PM
drk

5 posts, read 21,886 times

Advertisements

OK I just read some of your post on what to include in moving to Va.
I mentioned earlier that I have 2 daughters, 12 and 15, a cat and dog. I work in the dental field. We are leaving FL in search of a more simple life. My older daughter wants to go to a smaller school (currently over 500 per grade in her school) WE love being outdoors and love animals. I am willing to commute 30 minutes to a larger city to work.dk

Old 06-30-2007, 07:31 PM

150 posts, read 427,329 times
Default suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe phabets View Post
Hello Everyone. We will be moving to Virgina from Hawaii. We need to be within about an hour of DC or Richmond. Hampton looks nice and would work though it would be pushing it distancewise. Were looking for a small town feel and boating attmosphere which is why we are attracted to Hampton. We can afford about 400k. Ideally a place with a downtown we could walk to dinner shopping etc. We have a 4 year old so schools are important. I work out of the house so I don't commute but being close to an airport would be a plus. We are not adverse to townhouse living. I have no desire for a large yard and 2000 sf is plenty. Any insight would be appreciated.

Aloha
I so miss Hawaii. I used to work on a cruise ship that toured around the islands. There was so much that I wanted to do, but couldn't because I had to work.

Now, let me give you a suggestion about forums. Post your own new thread, not just a reply here, because you will get better results. Say something like "Thinking about moving to hampton" or whatever, then people that live in Hampton might answer, where they wouldn't look at a thread titled "Read if you are thinking of moving to VA". Just a suggestion.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:40 AM

26 posts, read 157,700 times
I posted a request for advice on Charlottesville or Richmond - please take a look if you have time - it seems I am looking for suburbia delight? Although, it depends - but not rural or country ...... I like the renovations I have seen on-line in Richmond of these ware houses - but the apt. can be great - however, how is the down town area??? Any advice - serious advice. Cake.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:36 AM

76 posts, read 224,418 times
Did anyone responding to your question?. Iam also a single mom considering moving to Richmond in September?

Old 07-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Default No real reply as yet .... still hoping ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
Did anyone responding to your question?. Iam also a single mom considering moving to Richmond in September?
No - I have no received any replies - just an unhelpful private message that did not put me in a good mood - but I am sure it is not 'reflective' of the people of Virginia - anyhow, as far as info that I have seen in past threads most have been with regard to a good school district in Henrico and West -End ... for Richmond - I have no kids though so I need info on the life of a young professional. Hopefully I will gt some feed back soon - good luck in getting info yourself

Old 07-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Default also ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
also - not sure if you meant to 'ask' me this question - but I am not a single mom - no kids but many MANY people have asked about school districts etc - you may want to look at some of the other threads - hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
SJV

1 posts, read 9,989 times
Default Manassas? good 4 families & DC Commute?

We're moving in a couple of months, husband will be working downtown DC. Have elementary school boys, going into middle school soon. Want nice area, good schools, good life. looking at purchasing home in $400K range soon. I know he can ride the rails into DC. What about long-term. We could also consider south of DC in Maryland, maybe Waldorf? Someone raised point that VA has more colleges to choose from down the road. Thoughts?

cherry pie....or any kind of pie for that matter.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 12,736 times
Default hawaii to virgina lynchburg Roanoke??

Hi our family is thinking of moving to virgina in about two years. WE like the country area with lots of land 5 acres or more. We'd like to be around 30 minutes to a city with fun things to do. Our two young children will be 5 and 7 so school districts are a must. Our oldest son will be starting collage when we move so also driving distance to a good christain collage? My husband is a history teacher for middle or high school. What districts would be good to work as a teacher also? We want to pay around 200,000. We are very family oriented so a place close to like parks, zoos, kid things would be great?? is there such a place? Also were would the safest places be to live? Were looking around lynchburg area or roanoke?
Thanks for any help I'd appreciate it....
Aloha,
victoria

Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 PM

941 posts, read 3,922,710 times
Here goes my query. I'm hoping there will be a bit of help.

Currently working for government in Falls Church.
About $650 per month, maximum $1000. Desperate is $1500 per month. Fixer uppers are OK, too!
Maximum is about 35 miles. I communte about 25 miles to work on 495. I am willing to trade longer miles for less congestion.
Single male, so options are wide open.
Looking for a rural environment where neighbors are far away.
Don't care about community.
Pie!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 26,656 times
Default Looking at a job in Richmond

Hi! I am currently interviewing for a job in Richmond (specifically Shockoe). I grew up in the suburbs surrounding Detorit.

I am hoping to be asked down to Richmond for an interview. Until then, I have been looking at apartments online (in great hope of actually getting the job).

I am 25/F. I am looking for an apartment in a fun area that attracts young professionals (23-40). From reading other posts, richmond (like most cities) has bad areas. I am obviously looking to avoid those. I have seen many loft in Shockoe, and the west end (planet zero, river lofts at tobacco row and so on). I love what i am seeing from the photo's, but would like some opinions on the area. I am willing to have a 20min. drive to work. it is more important for me to be in an area where i can meet people.

Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia