Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM

17 posts, read 59,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandblessings View Post
Why does it bother you so much that people are not being specific in seeking information on a subject that is probably in most cases totally unfamiliar to them, that would be the only obvious reason that I could think of, Generalization leaves room for information that may not be typical or commonly thought of. I also am someone that has posted and included that things that I felt was relevant to gathering information for my specific needs. And as much as being able to read every posting that lists Va to look for a specific question that may have already been answered three months ago, well I guess for someone that has a lot of time on their hands or who can keep up with the postings on a daily basis that would be ok but for the average time just doesnt permit. I thank you for any information that you have been able to provide and hope that you would be able to understand things from the other side of the fence. Have a Good Day!!!!
Thank you peaceandblessings .... I totally agree with you. My husband, 2 daughters and I had thoughts of moving to Va., but after reading the rudeness in these posts, maybe we need to reconsider that thought! People that are from a different state, of course, aren't going to know the personals about Va., such as the good cities to live in, schools, etc., and are seeking a little help and not all the rudeness and sarcasm.
Happy Holidays

Old 01-01-2008, 11:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe phabets View Post
Hello Everyone. We will be moving to Virgina from Hawaii. We need to be within about an hour of DC or Richmond. Hampton looks nice and would work though it would be pushing it distancewise. Were looking for a small town feel and boating attmosphere which is why we are attracted to Hampton. We can afford about 400k. Ideally a place with a downtown we could walk to dinner shopping etc. We have a 4 year old so schools are important. I work out of the house so I don't commute but being close to an airport would be a plus. We are not adverse to townhouse living. I have no desire for a large yard and 2000 sf is plenty. Any insight would be appreciated.

Aloha

I would look towards Gloucester. There are several nice homes on the water and/or marina and is about 45 minutes to Richmond and about 45 minutes to Hampton.
Good luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:08 PM

7 posts, read 32,620 times
Wink thinking of winchester va to relocate too

hi we are investigating places to look at to relo too from KY (we are from AZ originally) My husband will be working in leetown WV. It says on mapquest 23 miles. I have heard not so good things about WV. Any real life suggestions. I am looking to rent a home for a while until i find the area I like. my son is only 14 months so schools are not of total importance yet. I am a mortgage broker so a growing area would be nice as well as good medical areas too.

any suggestions?
thanks and much appreciation!
Jessica

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,220 times
Default Working in Winchester, VA?

Hello everyone. I just excepted a job in Winchester and I was wondering if anyone can tell me of a good medium place to stay I am 23 and a single guy so apartments are fine for me, after reading many of these post it doesn't look like Winchester itself has much of a nightlife. I don't need non-stop partying but a drink after 10 pm can't be that bad I am from a small town in Louisiana so i do enjoy the peace and tranquility of a small town but i also need some action. I don't mine a little commute something like 45 min to an 1 hour wouldn't be so bad. As for as price of apartments I just left san diego where i was paying 1245 for a 1 bed so I am most definetly sure i can find something much cheaper. I looked for apartments in winchester and I am having no luck. Any suggestions?? I would greatly appreciate them.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,152 times
How do I go about deleting a new thread I started?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,397 times
Default Even with current market conditions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post
I noticed a lot of people put 500k and below when looking for a single family home in northern va dc area. This will get you absolutely nothing. The cost of living is OC(out of control). Beautiful area in Va though. I love it...
So, the housing market in the DC area is thriving?? That's not what I've been reading...nationally, with the exception of some cities in non-metro states, the housing market is becoming quite depressed. Just curious though, the housing in the DC area is still really high? Higher than say, cities in California? Wow.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,151 times
Default Where to live in VA

We are looking to change jobs from Jackson, MS to Arlington, VA. Since MS is such a poor state, it is really hard for me to tell what areas we can afford. Our income will be around $70,000, that is great for here. Any help would be appreciated. (What about Woodbridge, VA, it sounds ok online.)

Where you are working - Arlington

-How much you are willing to spend on housing -

$175,000-200,000 (its really hard to tell. We are coming from MS. The housing med. in a nice small town is around $160,000. We are looking to rent an apartment until we get it all figured out. 3 bedroom, 2 bath no more than $1200 a month)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - 30-40 min. (would like public transportation)

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? public in another year

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling, but growing with plenty to do

-Community amenities important to you - parks, libraries, kid stuff

-Pie or cake? cake

Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,151 times
Default Need help on towns to move to

We are a family of 3 looking to move to virginia in Aug 08....in may of 08--we will be a family of four. so what we r looking for is....

Nice neighborhood--small town living with the convenience of stores, malls close by

Above average public schools--with good sports

Within an 1hr or 1hr 1/2 of Fairfax--Hopefully my husband will be getting on the Fairfax Fire Department--thats why we would be moving

We are looking at renting for the first few years--3 bed, 1 1.5 bath...and rent max of 1200.00

It would be nice to have a nice family oriented area to live in

Thanks for all or any of your help

Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,129 times
This is my first time on this link so I'm confused as to how to start my own thread.
I'm also relocating with m/job to Richmond and have been advised to look in the southside areas and west of the Chippenham Pkwy. That, in itself, is not all that helpful if I'm not familiar with the areas. I will be working on N. 8th Street downtown (would like to be able to catch a bus if thats safe). I am a single female; will be living alone so naturally I'm looking for a very safe apartment complex. I'm looking for something in the range of $700-800/monthly if possible with decent ammenities. I'd appreciate any advice on renting and if anyone would be kind enough to explain how to start my own thread..that would be great too!.
Thanks

Old 02-16-2008, 06:46 AM

29 posts, read 145,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe phabets View Post
Hello Everyone. We will be moving to Virgina from Hawaii. We need to be within about an hour of DC or Richmond. Hampton looks nice and would work though it would be pushing it distancewise. Were looking for a small town feel and boating attmosphere which is why we are attracted to Hampton. We can afford about 400k. Ideally a place with a downtown we could walk to dinner shopping etc. We have a 4 year old so schools are important. I work out of the house so I don't commute but being close to an airport would be a plus. We are not adverse to townhouse living. I have no desire for a large yard and 2000 sf is plenty. Any insight would be appreciated.

Aloha
Aloha!
Living in Hampton, I think it would fit your bill just fine. However, Hampton is about 3-3.5 hours from DC, depending on the time of day. Try the Northern Neck Area of VA- Tappahannock and Killmarnock are 2 great towns that come to mind. Not sure of the total dictance to DC, but you are a lot closer than Super H.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia