Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 26,195 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! Thank you for reading this post! I am desperately seeking out opinions on which areas in Virginia you would choose to live if the decision was between Richmond vs. Chesapeake. My husband and I have two small children so schools/education are very important to us, however, it would be nice to find a mix where there are a lot of options for shopping/gyms/kids activities. Perhaps, equally important I wish to raise my children in a place where the PEOPLE are generally kind and civil to one another and that there is a sense of community. I hear great things about Richmond, except that the people can be stuck-up and cliquish which I guess turns me off quite a bit (I've lived in New England and Montgomery County, MD had enough of that there!) At the same time, I don't wish to live in a place where the people are too provincial/small-minded either, which rules a lot of rural type areas out. I have NO idea about Chesapeake, other than to hear what a great place it is to raise a family. It sounds really nice, aside from traffic (but can the traffic really be worse than I-495 around Washington DC??) My husband will be doing a lot of traveling throughout VA, though.
Tx in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:45 PM

Sorry, I just read the request to input more info (I am new to this)...

-My husband will be working mostly out of the home 75%, then traveling day trips out to various cities throughout VA 20%, and to Baltimore 10%.
-Looking to spend between $275,000 - $325,000 on a single family home w/ yard space for kids (age 1 and 4).
-Public schools preferred
-Seeking suburban setting
-Amenities such as pool, nearby golf, walking trail, would be nice for kids and husband (but not absolutely necessary).
I do prefer NEWER looking developments (within 10 years or so).
Tx!!!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by only1emari View Post
Sorry, I just read the request to input more info (I am new to this)...

-My husband will be working mostly out of the home 75%, then traveling day trips out to various cities throughout VA 20%, and to Baltimore 10%.
-Looking to spend between $275,000 - $325,000 on a single family home w/ yard space for kids (age 1 and 4).
-Public schools preferred
-Seeking suburban setting
-Amenities such as pool, nearby golf, walking trail, would be nice for kids and husband (but not absolutely necessary).
I do prefer NEWER looking developments (within 10 years or so).
Tx!!!
York County or Chesapeake itself.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:09 PM

Tx for responding. May I ask why? I assume you live in York or Chesapeake (or have lived in Richmond before?)

Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
My vote is going to be for the Richmond area. This may end up being more centrally located for your husband's commuting days. And in the price range you've given, you should have plenty of options.

As to where in Richmond, that is the million dollar question. I will say the biggest question you will have to answer is whether you want to be north or south of the "rivah". Most of the threads in the forum will center on Chesterfield, Hanover and Henrico counties, and you will also find that most will support the county in which they live.

I suggest doing a search for the counties here in the forum to see what type of questions and responses come up. That may answer many of your questions. And then after reviewing all of that, come back to us with more specific questions.

Best of luck in your home search and please let us know if you have any questions!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by only1emari View Post
Tx for responding. May I ask why? I assume you live in York or Chesapeake (or have lived in Richmond before?)
I grew up in York County until 04 and my father just recently moved from Chesapeake. Both have good schools and are safe. Just be prepared to pay on the higher end of your range.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,915 times
I would have to say someplace on the outskirts of Richmond because I dont think you could find what you are looking for in your price range in Chesapeake

Old 01-28-2010, 07:46 PM

Thank you everyone - the more I read into things, the more it looks like Richmond might be the better option considering price of homes and commute for my husband. Ultimately we'll have to just drive out and start spending time in all the different neighborhoods to get a feel. I find it so interesting that there really seems to be this divisiveness amongst neighborhoods! In the meantime, is there a way I can find out where there are the greatest number of transplants/transients???

Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM

So I am back to this dilemma again and need more input!
A couple of things have changed for us since I last posted:

1) Our price range for a home is more like $300-$350 now, which has put Chesapeake into the equation again.
2) My husband will also be working now, mainly out of the home so commuting is not going to be as much of an issue any longer.
3) The relocation package that we thought we might get is now not happening (making us more apt to live wherever the hell we want if its going to be all on our dime).
4) I didn't mention this before but my parents live in VA Beach now and we have children under the age of 5 yrs, so being close to them is a huge PLUS!

Yet still, I am torn between which area to choose. I love the options in homes offered in the Richmond suburban areas and the stellar ratings of the public school systems in Henrico and Chesterfield. While I want to be closer to my parents for support, I am concerned about the overall emphasis of education in a near beach/touristy area.

So can anybody here speak of the culture in Chesapeake and attitude toward education? I know there are less educational opportunities and the schools aren't rated as well as they are in the Richmond suburbs. This just makes the decisions making process even harder! I also have concerns about the nearby "beach" culture as well as how much of a presence the military has in the Chesapeake community (and before anyone flames out on me, I have nothing against the military per se, as I grew up military).

I also don't really see anyone on these forums RAVING about Chesapeake the way Richmond residents do.

I just want to be able to make the most informed decision. We're hoping to stay in our next home for awhile.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
I lived for 20 years in Virginia Beach and 11 in Henrico. My vote is for Henrico hands down for several reasons.

1) The schools are more stable in their enrollment, Hampton Roads (which includes Chesapeake) can be very transient with the large military presence. My kids did 1/2 in Va Beach 1/2 in Henrico and I think the education and options were far superior up here.

2) Housing costs are comporable but utilities, taxes and ease of getting around goes to Henrico. Yes the SHort Pump area can be a challenge at times but I live 10 minutes away can go if I need to and don't have to deal with the daily traffic.

3) With your husband traveling Richmond Metro is more central where Chesapeake is down in the corner doubling his time for most trips.

4) The beachs are within 2 hours if want. Central Va has more distinct seasons and as we've seen this year a real winter at times.

5) Your family will be close enough to visit and far enough away that your not tied to dinner together every week.

Good luck in what you choose, write me if you have specific questions that you may not want to post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia