Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,794,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Huh? I'm not trying to "imply" anything. I stated that people in Northern Virginia as a whole are more cosmopolitan and open to outsiders than those in Richmond. It's simply my opinion. I said nothing about anyone from Richmond being a "bunch of backward hillbillies". That's quite the leap to take from what I actually said. I simply compared two areas. If comparing San Francisco and Northern Virginia, I'd say that San Francisco was more cosmopolitan and open-minded than Northern Virginia. Would that mean that I was slurring Northern Virginians as backwards hillbillies? No. It would just mean that it is not AS cosmopolitan or open-minded as San Francisco, and the same goes for my comparison of Richmond and Northern Virginia. I don't understand why such negativity was read into that.

With all due respect, I think you're a bit too sensitive and defensive when you feel people are criticizing anything about Richmond or the South in general; or not even so much criticizing but rather just not describing it in the most glowing of terms. I'm not trying to be rude, but this is the third or fourth post of mine alone that you have picked apart basically because you felt I was in some way trashing the other parts of the state and I just don't really understand it. You regularly describe Northern Virginia and those who live there as vanilla, pedestrian, boring, selfish and money-grubbing and say they're not real Virginians and lament the development and changing landscape of the area, yet when anyone says something that is remotely negative about Richmond or other areas of the South, you immediately become very defensive. Why is it okay to talk badly about Northern Virginia and it's people but not the rest of the state? I understand Southerners in particular being touchy about stereotypes as there are vicious untrue stereotypes of Southerners that people routinely fall back on, but I just don't understand why it's alright to slam one part of the state and not any other. We all have our opinions here and there's no need to take offense when someone happens to disagree about issues that are so subjective in the first place.
I respect your opinion, but it seems you know little about Richmond. I have lived in Richmond since 1998, and I visit NOVA frequently. The provinciality of Northern Virginia is amazing. Maybe you have a vision of Richmond as it was in the past. But its much different now, and for the better. Its not a wannabee Northern Virginia. Its still Richmond. But its a good blend of old and new.

It has a great, vibrant music scene. NOVA has hardly any. It has lots of colorful people from VCU and the Fan District.

The suburbs of Richmond might be that way, but Richmond the city is very cosmopolitan and open to outsiders. Unlike some people elsewhere, we just dont make a big deal out of it thats all.

Like you said, lets agree to disagree. But from my experience, northern virginia hasnt been cosmopolitan. They are in their own little world there.

Its the land of SUVs, Starbucks coffee, and Washington Redskins.

Im just saying that Richmond would surprise a lot of people. Its not the sleepy southern town it once was.

Last edited by vasinger; 02-10-2007 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 12:46 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,388,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I respect your opinion, but it seems you know little about Richmond. I have lived in Richmond since 1998, and I visit NOVA frequently. The provinciality of Northern Virginia is amazing. Maybe you have a vision of Richmond as it was in the past. But its much different now, and for the better. Its not a wannabee Northern Virginia. Its still Richmond. But its a good blend of old and new.

It has a great, vibrant music scene. NOVA has hardly any. It has lots of colorful people from VCU and the Fan District.

The suburbs of Richmond might be that way, but Richmond the city is very cosmopolitan and open to outsiders. Unlike some people elsewhere, we just dont make a big deal out of it thats all.

Like you said, lets agree to disagree. But from my experience, northern virginia hasnt been cosmopolitan. They are in their own little world there.

Its the land of SUVs, Starbucks coffee, and Washington Redskins.

Im just saying that Richmond would surprise a lot of people. Its not the sleepy southern town it once was.
You completely missed my point. What I was saying was that I never said anything bad about Richmond in the first place. Richmond IS cosmopolitan. I never said that it wasn't. I just said that I find it to be not AS cosmopolitan or open to outsiders as Northern Virginia. I never said anything bad about Richmond which is why I don't understand why you seem to think that my simply saying that I don't find Richmond to be AS cosmopolitan as Northern Virginia to be a sort of burning indictment of Richmond, as if I thought of it as some sort of backwoods underdeveloped hinterland when nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:04 AM

10 posts, read 69,021 times
I understand what you mean. I am a native Long Islander and moved to Virginia as a high schooler with my family. I have lived in a few places in Virginia, and it seems that church tends to be the biggest social resource. I personally am not involved in one, but I made friends in high school. Even in college, most of my friends were due to my high school social network. It seems most people in Virginia don't appreciate just talking over coffee at the diner (if you can find one down here) or going for a walk through the neighborhood. I have met people through my jobs though, and many people seem friendly, especially if you're new in town. Good luck with everything!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
I have lived in Midlothian for 5 years and feel exactly the same as you do
NellieGonzalezP. I have often thought it was because I was a stay at home mom and that I am too busy and too involved with my kids to really make friends. However, I have meet a few other people from outside of this area that say the same thing. People here seem clickish. I talk to everyone I meet. I am one of "those" people. But I have no real friends in this area. I haven't connected or felt the desire to become more than a casual friendly passerby. I have friends all over the globe so I know it isn't just me.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,720,514 times
Quote:
....just talking over coffee at the diner (if you can find one down here).....
We've got one on Huguenot called River City. They even try to make an eggcream if you tell them how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia