Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,817 times

Advertisements

History: Recently divorced, need a change or I am going to lose my mind.

Laundry List:

I have to rent (just purchased a home in Florida)
Need employment (no less than 40k a year)
Want A schools for my children
I want to live in the suburbs/quiet town (backyards, parks, neighborhood)
Are there any hurricanes? (I'm from Florida I have to ask)
How is the healthcare? Right now I have Florida Kid Care and I pay 20.00 month for all my children's needs, Government funded program.
I have a Bachelor's in Public Administration

Please help.

I have never lived anywhere else. This is a HUGE move for me. I will be doing this completely alone and the thought of doing this makes me want to puke. However, this is necessary. Please provide any and all information. And Please tell me if I am not choosing the right state.

Thank you for all your knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,713 times
Why are you choosing to move to VA when you have no friends, no jobs, and your healthcare is within the State of FL?

Old 07-07-2010, 02:05 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Why are you choosing to move to VA when you have no friends, no jobs, and your healthcare is within the State of FL?
Yes, that is a good place to start. Tell us why you singled out VA? What reasons do you have? There must be something you expect or have seen or heard about the state that is drawing you.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 PM

I like the scenery I was told it is a great place to live if you have a family. There are minor hurricanes if any and there is minimal snow. Besides that I just threw a dart.

I need a major change. This is not going to be a overnight move. I am researching and planning now and once I have decided on this state then I will gradually learn.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnatural25 View Post
I like the scenery I was told it is a great place to live if you have a family. There are minor hurricanes if any and there is minimal snow. Besides that I just threw a dart.

I need a major change. This is not going to be a overnight move. I am researching and planning now and once I have decided on this state then I will gradually learn.
As far as the scenery is concerned, it varies quite a bit across the state. Perhaps you would have a decent opportunity of landing a Public Admin position in some of the more populous counties or counties that are growing?

Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,316 times
It will be very hard to live here on 40k with a child. Housing is VERY expensive here - especially when compared to Florida

Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 PM

I would love to land a job their in my field and I hope to make more than 40K. Like I stated I want to do my research come visit and then decide. This is going to be a gradual change, but I really want to do this.

Thank you guys for all your support and comments.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
It will be very hard to live here on 40k with a child. Housing is VERY expensive here - especially when compared to Florida
Maybe not in Nova (northern Virginia), but in western and central Virginia you will be a high incom earner. 40k is very good in these parts.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:46 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Maybe not in Nova (northern Virginia), but in western and central Virginia you will be a high incom earner. 40k is very good in these parts.
Agree. I live in the Shenandoah Valley and things definitely are more affordable here than in NOVA (I moved from there last year).

40K per year would be a struggle. But it's not impossible. We don't know the OP's finan situation where there could be other forms of support/resources that could assist in living in VA.

Basically, it would depend where and how you live, what your basic needs are, and other needs (i.e., sports teams for kids, need a new car, etc.). I'm a big believer in transitions so I fully support a new life, career and looking forward and positive to a new beginning. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Agree. I live in the Shenandoah Valley and things definitely are more affordable here than in NOVA (I moved from there last year).

40K per year would be a struggle. But it's not impossible. We don't know the OP's finan situation where there could be other forms of support/resources that could assist in living in VA.

Basically, it would depend where and how you live, what your basic needs are, and other needs (i.e., sports teams for kids, need a new car, etc.). I'm a big believer in transitions so I fully support a new life, career and looking forward and positive to a new beginning. Good luck!
40K will get you quite far in Lynchburg, Appomattox, Buckingham, Campbell, Bedford, Charlotte Prince Edward, & Amherst Counties....not to mention Halifax and Danville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia