Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 AM

161 posts, read 685,224 times

Advertisements

I live in southeast Virginia and I would consider VA both east coast and south. Hampton Roads feels very beach and resort until you get out of it and realize you're in the sticks. And NOVA is really progressive, I think, to the rest of the state. So, in my opinion, it's a mixed bag.

I would agree with the person who said it's east coast because of geography and southern because of its history. It's kind of an eclectic state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 02:25 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I remember visiting NoVA as a kid in the 60s and how Southern it seemed. You could get grits for breakfast anywhere. Living here the past 20 years it hasn't felt that way at all. Not sure you'll find much in the way of grits around here now.
I remember visiting Washington DC in the 60's, early 70's and Kentucky Fried Chicken was the top place to eat. In the last 20 years NoVa and DC have definately become more cosmopolitian with more a world class flair, Not southern at all, in my opinion. In 20 years the only remnant of "southerness" will be seen at Cracker Barrell chain restaurants.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 PM

104 posts, read 303,362 times
Manassas is still somewhat southern. At least it was as of about 5 years ago. I grew up in FAirfax County and folks from Manassas or Loudon Co. were often considered redneck hillbillies. Of course the whole area has grown so much that alot of these old stereotypes probably don't apply any longer.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Loudoun? not really anymore. Mannassas and the rest of PW County? probably still yes.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Virginia is a purple state. With the increasing population of the Washington DC suburbs of Northern VA the state has become more progressive and diverse than other "southern" states. Generally the southern part of the state is more "southern" in its rural roots and more conservative with tons of Baptist churches. I still can't figure out how our new Governor McDonnell(the confederate history month dude) got elected. This state is unpredictable but VA is not ONE state such as a real southern state such as Alabama, Georgia. etc.
Virginia is a Southern state except in Northern Virginia, which is East Coast due to all the transplants. Most native Virginians have a lot of southern pride in their culture and heritage. Governor McDonnell got elected by the majority of Virginians who don't live in the DC area which many people accurately point out isn't really the real Virginia at all but sorta like a colony of New Jersey and New York. Just like the DC burbs in Maryland are not typical of Maryland if you ask someone from Baltimore or the Eastern Shore. The majority of liberals in Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, and practically most places outside of the urban Northeast and California are transplants or they are illegal immigrants. It makes sense what McDonnell did as Virginia was a Confederate state and Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy, General Lee and Jackson were both from Virginia. Try going to Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Danville, and convince yourself its not southern. In fact I think Lynchburg and Danville felt more southern to me than Greensboro, Raleigh, Dallas or Houston which are filled with newcomers who do not adapt to the native cultures.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is a Southern state except in Northern Virginia, which is East Coast due to all the transplants. Most native Virginians have a lot of southern pride in their culture and heritage. Governor McDonnell got elected by the majority of Virginians who don't live in the DC area which many people accurately point out isn't really the real Virginia at all but sorta like a colony of New Jersey and New York. Just like the DC burbs in Maryland are not typical of Maryland if you ask someone from Baltimore or the Eastern Shore. The majority of liberals in Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, and practically most places outside of the urban Northeast and California are transplants or they are illegal immigrants. It makes sense what McDonnell did as Virginia was a Confederate state and Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy, General Lee and Jackson were both from Virginia. Try going to Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Danville, and convince yourself its not southern. In fact I think Lynchburg and Danville felt more southern to me than Greensboro, Raleigh, Dallas or Houston which are filled with newcomers who do not adapt to the native cultures.
This is true...Lynchburg, Dansville, Martinsville, and to a slightly lesser extent (due to its large student population) Charlottesville all feel very southern. And places like Amherst, still look and behave very much so like the old south. Richmond, Norfolk, VAB etc do look southern to an extent but dont actually feel southern at all. I consider Raleigh Durham to be a very southern city with east coast transplants and residents who kind of try to act more east coast than they are.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:19 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Virginia is a Southern state except in Northern Virginia, which is East Coast due to all the transplants. Most native Virginians have a lot of southern pride in their culture and heritage. Governor McDonnell got elected by the majority of Virginians who don't live in the DC area which many people accurately point out isn't really the real Virginia at all but sorta like a colony of New Jersey and New York. Just like the DC burbs in Maryland are not typical of Maryland if you ask someone from Baltimore or the Eastern Shore. The majority of liberals in Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, and practically most places outside of the urban Northeast and California are transplants or they are illegal immigrants. It makes sense what McDonnell did as Virginia was a Confederate state and Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy, General Lee and Jackson were both from Virginia. Try going to Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Danville, and convince yourself its not southern. In fact I think Lynchburg and Danville felt more southern to me than Greensboro, Raleigh, Dallas or Houston w. Mhich are filled with newcomers who do not adapt to the native cultures.
McDonnell got elected by the majority of the state including Northern Virginia. He won Fairfax county.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 10,729 times
Depends on where you live obviously you wouldn't consider Northern Va southern nor would inner Richmond be considered southern. I live in Hampton Roads and quite frankly I'm tired of being compared to northern Va. besides from the military we are very much southern. We had a cross burning in Hampton not too long ago for Christ sakes. And geographically we are southeastern below Richmond and in the really southern regions you can't even tell where Va ends and where NC begins without some sort of notification.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS94 View Post
Depends on where you live obviously you wouldn't consider Northern Va southern nor would inner Richmond be considered southern. I live in Hampton Roads and quite frankly I'm tired of being compared to northern Va. besides from the military we are very much southern. We had a cross burning in Hampton not too long ago for Christ sakes. And geographically we are southeastern below Richmond and in the really southern regions you can't even tell where Va ends and where NC begins without some sort of notification.
Now there's something to be proud of. Things like that make me feel it's unfortunate Sherman didn't do a more thorough job.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Hmm... so the "East Coast" doesn't include the Carolinas and Georgia? (This has always bugged me - a lot of people use "East Coast" to mean "Northeast.")

BTW, I hate NoVA and I live here. I pore over maps of ROVA and sigh with jealousy... all that space, all those cute historic towns... Oh well, I'd better get back to making an attempt to "bloom where I'm planted."

Just noticed that you said "Geographically, there's nothing "Southern" about you guys." So - touching the Atlantic precludes Southern-ness? Again, what about the Carolinas and Georgia? Bad City Data, no geography gold star for you.

Honestly, I need to start spending less time on C-D.. I'm tired of reading threads that go something like,

"Drrr."

"Drrr? No, drr, drrrr drrrr!"

"Drr drrrr?"

"Drr Drrr DUM drr dum."

*sigh*
+1 LOL. That's so funny.

Anyhoo, I consider Virginia to be a Southern state but I was born and raised in Southern Virginia but I lived in the DC area for ten years. The culture and the accents are what make Virginia a Southern state. Most people traditionally associate the South with rural agrarian economies so it's hard to view any urban area as Southern, especially a city like Atlanta that's in the Deep South. So you see Virginia's "Southerness" more in its rural areas and small towns. A friend of mine says that you're in the South if the restaurants serve ice tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia