Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,916 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Virginia. I am very excited. I have heard many great things about this state. I have a career opprotunity out in Vienna and I am also going to apply to George Mason University. Can anyone please answer my questions below...

Where you are working?
I will be working for a college in Vienna, VA

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
I dont want to spen a whole lot. I am going to virgina alone with my two kids. If I can find a roomate, or rent a room somewhere that would be much easier for me. But if this is not available I would spend about 800 in rent.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
I dont want to have a long commute... I am coming from Chicago and I have experienced terrible traffic!

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
I would like to put my children in an affordable private school. But if I can find a public school that has many activites for the kids then that would be great... Great education is a plus!

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
I would like to live in a small city with everything near by. Can anyone explain to me what Vienna is like. and explain what arlington is like? I will be applying to George Mason University and would like to know what its like out there.....

Thank you for all your help.

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
See Arlington County, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Vienna, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vienna, VA was rated as the best town in the entire USA to live, by "Money" magazine in 2005. Its schools such as Madison H.S. are top-rated. It is linked with Wash. DC by: expressway I-66 (limited to carpools during rush-hour), also by an excellent wide bicycle path (extending about 50 miles), and also by Metrorail, which has a commuter station and gigantic parking garage out on the edge of Vienna beside I-66 (and about 2 miles outside the Washington Beltway/I-495). Vienna used to boast of having the corporate headquarters of "American Online" (which has since relocated a few miles away).

Vienna is also very close to Wolf Trap Park for the Performing Arts, and to Tysons Corner which is what planners call an enormous "edge city" with 46 million square feet of retail and office space. Tysons Corner is on the borderline of the Vienna and McLean zip codes. Downtown Vienna has some traditional charm, and the aforementioned bike path the "Washington and Old Dominion Trail" goes through it. The famous well-planned city of "Reston" is several miles further out, and also Dulles International Airport, with countless high-tech aerospace and biotechnology companies all around there.

Arlington is even closer to D.C. and is very popular for people who want a very easy commute to downtown D.C. on the numerous Metrorail lines and stations which extend through Arlington. http://www.wmata.com Arlington has many different distinct neighborhoods which have housing of all types from high-rise apartments (both old and new), garden apartments (both old and new), townhouses, and older single-family homes. The Pentagon, Arlington Cemetery, Fort Myer, and Reagan National Airport are all in Arlington County, as well as the high-rise neighborhoods of "Rosslyn" and "Crystal City" just across the river from downtown D.C. Arlington received awards for being a walkable and bikeable county, and it pursues "smart growth" policy in its development plans, clustering new apartments close to Metrorail stations. It has a highly educated population with 37% of residents having advanced degrees. Expressways I-395 and I-66 both pass through Arlington County.

Last edited by slowlane; 05-17-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,916 times
This is all so exciting. I am ready for a fresh start for me and my children. I was also wondering. Do you know of any good sites that post adds on people looking for roommates? I thought that it might be easier for me to roommate than live on my own with the kids. I am trying to not spen to much on housing considering I would most likely have to pay for babysitting. I would also like to make friends in the area. Are there any social groups that you may know of that focus on networking and making friends?

Becky

Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM

309 posts, read 828,557 times
So, would you try to find a someone that is willing to take an adult and two children on as roomates? or move here and get a roommate? $800 a month is not realistic for even a 1 bdrm apartment. When you say Vienna,is this the address of the business? Most employers are located in Tysons corner which is located adjacent to Vienna. This is a big distinction given the traffic woes in this area.

Go the Nothern Virginia forum and search the thread for Arlington and Vienna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia