Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:39 AM

67 posts, read 538,198 times

Advertisements

So I have to drive on 95 North every day between Spotsy and Quantico. I drive at exactly 65 in the right lane and never leave it.

What makes YOU think that I am going to go faster than 65 when you are on my back bumper?

The gas prices are high, I don't lack the discipline to get out of my bed early enough, I am not afraid to stand my ground whether you drive an F150 or an 18 wheeler, and I like the extra money in my pocket every month to feed my children.

Unless you have a nice shiny job that pays me more money and not just the prospect of one, then......

Why can't you just go around? Especially when there are 2 lanes to the left of me that are completely open (sometimes for miles).

Why did you need to buy a hybrid so that you can just drive 80 down the interstate all over again?

Don't you realize that the faster you go (even on the highway) the more lower your gas mileage will be? It doesn't matter if you have an SUV or a beater that is supposed to get good gas mileage.

Just curious as to what gives.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 AM

261 posts, read 1,667,334 times
Yeah that's annoying. We have so many stupid people driving out there. Usually when that happens to me it's because the person is talking on the phone or distracted in some other form and is using me as a pace car. I usually slow down until they pass.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb124 View Post
Yeah that's annoying. We have so many stupid people driving out there. Usually when that happens to me it's because the person is talking on the phone or distracted in some other form and is using me as a pace car. I usually slow down until they pass.
Lol, at least I am not alone. I think they should drop the speed limit back down to 55. I know I am in the minority, but if we could reduce our dependency on foreign oil, then why not?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
beeboah

Unfortunately there are idiots engaging in this dangerous practice in just about every state that I've ever driven thru, but Virginia seems to be the worse. Must be something in the Virginia air that makes certain people oblivious of their dangerous driving. Going back to a 55 mph speed limit is not a bad idea...especially on heavily travelled, high density routes like I 95. However, in Colorado where I'm living now it wouldn't make sense becasue the traffic is very light in comaprison to I 95.

regards....Franco

Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM

743 posts, read 3,901,673 times
Maybe they should increase the speed limit, so people won't be afraid to pass you, especially if the left lanes are empty, people are probably afraid of getting pulled over, at least that's my theory.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
beeboah

Unfortunately there are idiots engaging in this dangerous practice in just about every state that I've ever driven thru, but Virginia seems to be the worse. Must be something in the Virginia air that makes certain people oblivious of their dangerous driving. Going back to a 55 mph speed limit is not a bad idea...especially on heavily travelled, high density routes like I 95. However, in Colorado where I'm living now it wouldn't make sense becasue the traffic is very light in comaprison to I 95.

regards....Franco
That is true, and each State should use it's own Sovereignty to it's advantage.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Maybe they should increase the speed limit, so people won't be afraid to pass you, especially if the left lanes are empty, people are probably afraid of getting pulled over, at least that's my theory.
Maybe and maybe not. I guess I am no more of a mind reader than you. When I see that 18 wheeler one inch from my back bumper I think he is trying to bully me. I really do think that they should slow it down to save natural resources. I don't think that anyone should be exceeding the speed limit to pass, but I know it's not a perfect world. I also think that those who feel wealthy enough to selectively break laws should be fined much as they would any other crime.

With that said, it is hard for me to criticize, only in that I have seen the light after not getting a ticket in 4 yrs, but getting 70 tickets in the 5 yrs prior to that by acting like there were no laws when I sped down the highways in my REAL machines.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:38 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
For starters, that's just I-95, it's not specific to Virginia. Just moved up from Florida and I can unequivocally state that the drivers there rival the worst in the country, ESPECIALLY on 95, so don't think it's just here....

That said, the only time I could ever see tailgating someone in the right lane is if there's some dork in the left lane going the same speed or slower. Even then, you're right. There's no reason to tailgate.

NOW...... If you were going 65 in the LEFT lane and passing a car going 64 in the right lane, THEN I'd be all over your bumper....

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
For starters, that's just I-95, it's not specific to Virginia. Just moved up from Florida and I can unequivocally state that the drivers there rival the worst in the country, ESPECIALLY on 95, so don't think it's just here....

That said, the only time I could ever see tailgating someone in the right lane is if there's some dork in the left lane going the same speed or slower. Even then, you're right. There's no reason to tailgate.

NOW...... If you were going 65 in the LEFT lane and passing a car going 64 in the right lane, THEN I'd be all over your bumper....
Lol, I moved up from FL to and I know the same applies, I think people are more courteous drivers up here etc., in that they usually use their turn signal after cutting you off.

Yep, I think they could just back off to 60 for a few seconds until dorkey face has done his thing.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 35,207 times
for me i trust a 18 wheeler much more than most other cars and as long as they don't hit me they can drive where they please. i drive much slower now but i don't make excuses like tickets (i have 0), lowering dependancy on foreign oil. and come on "wealthy enough to selectively break laws" VA still has laws on the books against engaging in sexual relations in any position other than missionary - and just as many people break that law as exceed the speed limit.

i would suggest continuing to display courtesy on the road and not taking others driving habits personally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: