Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,853 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband & I are thinking of moving to the Hybla Valley area in Alexandria. We saw at condo in the South Meadows complex that was really nice. But, how is the area? I appreciate any advice and feedback.

I searched for info on the area, and most of the info on this forum is from 2007 & 2008, so am hoping for more recent info. We do not want to live here, but it is between this complex or The Sierra in Arlington (off Columbia Pike - S. Greenbrier). We liked that neighborhood even less, and would appreciate info on that area too. We don't have much of a choice - this is all that is available in our price range. Please help!

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM

282 posts, read 873,149 times
Two words: not great. But, I'm unfamiliar with with the South Medows complex. Try posting in the Northern Virginia forum.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,122 times
All along the Potomac River shore itself (south of Alexandria) and going back to a half-mile from the shore, are numerous attractive and elegant, older suburban neighborhoods, adjacent to the "Mount Vernon Parkway" scenic road which goes to historic "Mount Vernon". By contrast, parallel to that, along Route 1 (also called "Richmond Highway"), including Hybla Valley, it's very mixed, noisy, and unattractive, with many apartment projects, endless strip-malls, and large numbers of Hispanic working-class people. Hybla Valley is also a further commute from Washington, than Columbia Pike is (I don't know if that's a consideration for you). Metrorail only goes as far south as "Huntington" station (1 mile south of the Beltway).

Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 PM

100 posts, read 220,021 times
I've lived in South Meadows for two years. It is generally very quiet within the complex; as I write this, it is totally silent. The complex is set back from route 1 enough that you cannot hear road noise.

The buildings are well-maintained, and there are very few "Hispanic working-class people" living in South Meadows. The complex is very ethnically and economically diverse; within our 12-unit building, there are white, black, Asian, and Hispanic people. I think it is safe; if you were to move here, you would have to take no more safety precautions than you would if you were living in a city. The buildings are secure--only residents have access, and only to their own building. There is a huge shopping center in easy walking distance with most of the big-box stores you could ever want (except Target, which is a very short drive away).

Hybla Valley's bad reputation is exaggerated. Yes, this is not an affluent area, compared with most of Fairfax County. Yes, there is a large working-class minority population. Yes, a lot of the commercial real estate and the run-down houses on route 1 are ugly and off-putting. But this area offers an easy commute to Old Town and a not-so-bad commute to DC, and South Meadows condos are larger, newer, and more affordable than many in Alexandria.

Kingstowne (also in Alexandria) may be another option for you; there are lots of condos there, as well. They tend to be a little more expensive than South Meadows, but the area is considered more upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia