Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times

Advertisements

I'm not too familiar with Volkswagen vehicles specifically the 2004 Passat 1.8L Turbo. 5 spd.

The dealer is selling it for 8,1000 with 81,000 miles on it.

What are somethings I should watch out for on this car.

I heard volkswagens have electrical issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
I bought a 98 Passat 1.8T (5speed) at an auction in NC about 8-9 years ago. It needed a few things to run well, and got it running well in no time.

Here's my take on things, if it can help:

They're not as solid as a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry of the same year. They're more interesting to drive than the others, especially with the 1.8T engine with the 5 speed.

My main issue with VWs is the interior parts that are cheap (to me). When new, one will get a sense of better quality than its competitors and the fit and finish can get your attention. Give it a few years. They don't always seem to age as well. Their plastics/interior parts aren't the greatest (always a broken cup holder, door handle or button breaking or coming off/loose) The interior design does look better than the Camry and Accord, and road manners are pretty good for daily drivers, considering you have good shocks and the bushings are still intact.

Other issues are constant sensor/electrical issues (engine heat/brittle plastics etc). If you tinker on your own cars, fine. If you're relying on a mechanic for everything, I'd say reconsider. On a scale of 0-10, I'd give the used Passat a 6 at best. They're ok cars, just nothing to drool over, from my experience.

I'd low ball the dealer to something like $6500 max. These cars sell, just not as fast as the Japanese competition. So the dealer may be willing to give you a deal. Give it a try (Speaking of Lowballing the dealer). You have nothing to lose. If you can get an extended warranty for it, get it!!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Honestly, I would pass, since 2004 was the last year of the 1.8T engine, that has known sludge issues. VW has extended the warranty on that engine because of the issue, but at eight-years old, the warranty would have run out, or is running out. Aside from that, there were ignition coil issues with that engine, and a few other problems that were general VW issues, not 1.8T engine issues. Someone who worked with me had one, and it was a known factor that if they were late, it was a Passat-related issue. Headlights were another problem, with one or the other being out at any given time, and I do recall a slick spot in their parking spot in the garage from continued leaks. It was also a time consuming process to deal with the dealership, and the attitude that there was nothing wrong with their car, despite maintenance and repair bills that would top a BMW. Granted, that vehicle may have been a lemon, with the additional failures, but the ignition coil issues and engine sludge issues are well documented.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I bought a 98 Passat 1.8T (5speed) at an auction in NC about 8-9 years ago. It needed a few things to run well, and got it running well in no time.

Here's my take on things, if it can help:

They're not as solid as a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry of the same year. They're more interesting to drive than the others, especially with the 1.8T engine with the 5 speed.

My main issue with VWs is the interior parts that are cheap (to me). When new, one will get a sense of better quality than its competitors and the fit and finish can get your attention. Give it a few years. They don't always seem to age as well. Their plastics/interior parts aren't the greatest (always a broken cup holder, door handle or button breaking or coming off/loose) The interior design does look better than the Camry and Accord, and road manners are pretty good for daily drivers, considering you have good shocks and the bushings are still intact.

Other issues are constant sensor/electrical issues (engine heat/brittle plastics etc). If you tinker on your own cars, fine. If you're relying on a mechanic for everything, I'd say reconsider. On a scale of 0-10, I'd give the used Passat a 6 at best. They're ok cars, just nothing to drool over, from my experience.

I'd low ball the dealer to something like $6500 max. These cars sell, just not as fast as the Japanese competition. So the dealer may be willing to give you a deal. Give it a try (Speaking of Lowballing the dealer). You have nothing to lose. If you can get an extended warranty for it, get it!!

I do tinker on my own cars. Yeah that was y impression of the car. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. The only reason why I got the car at 8,100 is because I received an employee discount of only 800$. I'm a technician at a Nissan dealership under the same company (Crowley). If this is true they have been treating me like crap.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Honestly, I would pass, since 2004 was the last year of the 1.8T engine, that has known sludge issues. VW has extended the warranty on that engine because of the issue, but at eight-years old, the warranty would have run out, or is running out. Aside from that, there were ignition coil issues with that engine, and a few other problems that were general VW issues, not 1.8T engine issues. Someone who worked with me had one, and it was a known factor that if they were late, it was a Passat-related issue. Headlights were another problem, with one or the other being out at any given time, and I do recall a slick spot in their parking spot in the garage from continued leaks. It was also a time consuming process to deal with the dealership, and the attitude that there was nothing wrong with their car, despite maintenance and repair bills that would top a BMW. Granted, that vehicle may have been a lemon, with the additional failures, but the ignition coil issues and engine sludge issues are well documented.
This is not the first time I heard about it. Thankyou guys for the input. My decision is made and I will look for something else.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
it was a known factor that if they were late, it was a Passat-related issue.
LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I do tinker on my own cars. Yeah that was y impression of the car. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. The only reason why I got the car at 8,100 is because I received an employee discount of only 800$. I'm a technician at a Nissan dealership under the same company (Crowley). If this is true they have been treating me like crap.
If you tinker on your own cars, that's a big plus. It wont annoy you as much, plus you get discounts for parts (since you're a tech there). If you got a 5 speed, even better.

Check out the VW vortex forum. They're pretty big, and you can get plenty of help there. Good Luck!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
LOL...

If you tinker on your own cars, that's a big plus. It wont annoy you as much, plus you get discounts for parts (since you're a tech there). If you got a 5 speed, even better.

Check out the VW vortex forum. They're pretty big, and you can get plenty of help there. Good Luck!
So 8,100$ with 81,000 miles on it is a good deal?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
So 8,100$ with 81,000 miles on it is a good deal?
At that price, I'd pass. For a low ball deal of $6k-6.5k, I'd consider. That's if you really, really want it.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I had a 2002 1.8T. Bought it used with 28k on the clock and had the oil pump replaced due to sludge at 35k miles (under warranty). It got synthetic after that until I traded it in at 62k miles.

Looks pimp with a drop and 18" wheels. Also chipped it to get it over 200hp but still had a lot of turbo lag.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
It is more fun to drive than the "boring" commuter cars, but the "excitement" doesn't stop there. Repairs are more frequent and more pricey than most other cars. When it comes down to a used car, the previous maintenance history is also important, so an abused Camry/Accord would still be much worse than a babied Passat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen