Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM

508 posts, read 888,904 times

Advertisements

Got a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta and I've been having the following issues:

1.) Many of the electronic sensors all beep and hum when I first turn the car on. I'd like to reset or somehow neutralize these sensors since they go to non-existent problems.

2.) In the recent past I had issues with the RPMs going all haywire but that has largely stopped.

3.) The big issue is the overheating. This is not a non-existent problem. I have to buy that special G-12 coolant for it and it does work. But today while I was parked in neutral my brother noticed white plumes of smoke emanating from the front end and then a deluge of coolant hit the road. The smoking didn't quite stop even after the deluge. But we noticed the actual front end of the car wasn't hot. So we wait a few minutes, put some more coolant into the tank and drove back home instead of needing a tow. But when we got back home it started to smoke up again in the driveway. Only this time no flood of coolant hit the driveway.

My brother did notice the radiator cap's threads were all melted so we've ordered a new one from "eBay." He thinks it may need a radiator flush, it could be a thermostat or water pump issue or the coolant sensor is in need of replacement.

My question is - what could it be? Has anyone else had comparable problems? Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:29 PM

534 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Take it to someone that knows what they are doing. Some cars of that era (2.0) have a water pump issue where they overheat.(plastic pump what were they thinking).. before they blow to kingdom come. You need someone to test it out before something more expensive happens.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Have you checked/searched on vwvortex? if its happed to a vw, they would be the people to ask, but like the poster above mention, the plastic water pump sounds like a good place to start

Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Advice much appreciated. Will definitely check the water pump. Never been onto VWVortex.com will check it out too. Thank you.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM

This is what they are saying on the Volkswagen forum: VWVortex.com - Is This A Water Pump Issue?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Thank you, thank you! Okay, so my brother and I called up the local "AutoZone" and as it turns out they actually have a radiator cap for the 2000 Volkswagen Jetta with a V6 engine. So we bought one for $6.99 plus tax and it fit.

We rode up from our house to the "AutoZone" and then to the supermarket = no smoke. We then rode back from the supermarket to our house (we figured it would make sense to stock up on supplies since we're expecting a snow storm!) But here is the twist: the overheat warning sensor was on solidly the entire time. When my brother would accelerate the thermometer would hit 190F and then gradually go down. So now our main concern is getting rid of this overheat warning. There is still a good amount of coolant in the tank. So we don't quite know what to do. Could it still be a water pump/timing belt issue? Or is it perhaps the coolant sensor?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
If the car has belched coolant out of the tank, melted a radiator cap, and shows fluctuations in the coolant temperature as relayed on the dash, my guess wouldn't be on a faulty sensor. My guess, you've got a coolant problem, and my guess would be the water pump. Seems like it's having an efficiency problem, and circulates enough coolant under load, but doesn't at idle. If you're in the midst of winter, and overheating on a regular basis, my guess is you've got an issue. If you don't want to pay someone else to diagnose it, I'd probably keep posting on the Vortex, that'll be your largest online knowledge base...then work through the diagnosis procedures with members on the board.

Good luck! Be sure to work through your problems, and post responses on the vortex. It'll help the next guy who has the same issue!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 PM

Sounds like you are on target. I've already been recommended to run this test: 18613/P2181/008577 - Ross-Tech Wiki - I'll make sure to report back. So it's really looking like it *could* be the water pump after all?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
I have the same engine in my car.

RPMs jumping and overheating is a sign of a blown headgasket. Not saying thats what you have though.

Some of the water pumps were made with a plastic impeller that deteriorates over time, its an easy fix and cost around $40 for the pump/housing. its a good idea to get a t-stat as well, most everyone on VWvortex does this when they do a timing belt change because they are close to each other when your in there.

All of your warning lights should illuminate.sound when you turn the key on, this is good because it lets you know they work.

White smoke comes from a blow headgasket as well, when the motor gets hot sometimes the head will warp itself and water gets in the combustion chamber and makes steam.

If you havent already id look into the waterpump being bad. worst case is head gasket, so one of those two. It could be a sensor too but Ive had good luck with those. If you are loosing coolant its a headgasket.

BTW Ross-Tech is mainly for a VAG-COM plug-in interface. Im sure some of the codes are basic codes there but you really need a VAG-COM tool.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Stop driving the car until it's fixed. I've seen a lot of small problems quickly become big ones because people keep driving.

The last car I worked the fan relay quit, the person kept driving because it only got hot at lights. The head gasket popped after a few days of this.

$100 became $1300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen